It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open message to you all "Since when did this website become.....

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Anyone thats not a medical proffesional that pushes people to not take their medication, especially when it could cause harm. (Opinion is fine but dont try and force someone of them)

This one really gets on my nerves. I have seen threads where people who admit to having a history of scitzophrenia and are posting some very odd things are told to either stop taking their medication or people play into their beliefs. Those of us telling the person to go back to the doctor are drowned out by those having a good laugh at the individual involved. Of course there are many other issues including people telling others not to get their kids vaccinated and the like.

However i have an issue with a couple of things you mentioned.

1. Religion is one of the biggest issues of our time and so discussion of it is important. Viewing religion as a backward system isn't intolerant, calling for the abolition and outlawing of religion is intolerant and not something you see often on ATS.

2. Discussion of the differences between the races is very important from a scientific standpoint. It's a scientific fact that different raises have advantages/disadvantages when compared to one another. Different races have different rates of cancers for example, some races are more prone to high blood pressure and those types of things. Discussing this isn't hatred.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
However i have an issue with a couple of things you mentioned.

1. Religion is one of the biggest issues of our time and so discussion of it is important. Viewing religion as a backward system isn't intolerant, calling for the abolition and outlawing of religion is intolerant and not something you see often on ATS.

Good point you bring up. My comment was more targeted along the lines of what you were thinking, rather than discussion.

2. Discussion of the differences between the races is very important from a scientific standpoint. It's a scientific fact that different raises have advantages/disadvantages when compared to one another. Different races have different rates of cancers for example, some races are more prone to high blood pressure and those types of things. Discussing this isn't hatred.

I know that, its when people start making the racist comments that annoys me. Its just not necessary, and it seems that someone always has to make a remark like that on those threads

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Well said!

Ive only been coming to this site for s short time. But in that time i have seen that some people can be quite harsh and wont take anyones word but theres as the truth!

You try to put your opinion across and just get nasty remarkes and comments.

There are alot of intersting people here on ATS and its a shame there are silly people leaving silly comments that dont bare any resemblance to the thread in question.

Keep up all the good work you wonderful people of knowledge and insight, i love an interesting thread that teaches me something new every day.

link   
Ive been wanting to express this exact sentiment for months now, but could never quite articulate it properly!

And its so great to see one of the more well known and respected members posting this; lets me know that Im not the only one that feels this way. Its been really hard to stay loyal to the site lately, but I do my best!

link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

reply to post by OzWeatherman

ImaginaryReality1984 & OzWeatherman…..

Anyone that’s not a medical professional that pushes people to not take their medication, especially when it could cause harm.

I agree with both of you.

There is some very dangerous commentary & advice pushed at members in the Medical Forum.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

OrionHunterX.....

..many quality posters have either been banned (for whatever minor infarctions) or have quit in a huff.

I agree with you.....

There are some previous contributors who were an assett to ATS during their period of involvement.

I would like to say that due to my involvement in a couple of "Aliens & UFOs Forum" threads that became extremely inflamed, I saw a little of the huge lengths the ATS owners & moderators go to, in order to try to be as fair & reasonable as they can possibly be.

I suggest that when one "gets a peek" at that side of things, one learns to respect the huge efforts that are being made to keep ATS a "cut above the rest".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Ok yep i get you now.

I agree that there seems to have been an increase in general hatred of various kinds and i think it's simply because of the size of ATS. The larger a website becomes the more morons it attracts. Kids and especially trolls love websites like this one.

The only way to combat it is to keep slogging away to fight against the stupidity.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dwiggen

I thought I'd add the opposite of hate, in case we forgot.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Anyone thats not a medical proffesional that pushes people to not take their medication, especially when it could cause harm. (Opinion is fine but dont try and force someone of them)

This one really gets on my nerves. I have seen threads where people who admit to having a history of scitzophrenia and are posting some very odd things are told to either stop taking their medication or people play into their beliefs. Those of us telling the person to go back to the doctor are drowned out by those having a good laugh at the individual involved. Of course there are many other issues including people telling others not to get their kids vaccinated and the like.

I received a warning, and one of my posts was deemed inappropriate for telling someone they need to see a doctor. It takes a lot of nerve, especially for a mod to think that seeing a doctor is a bad thing. But, I do see a lot of support for homeopathy, 'spiritual' healing, herbs, etc... here on ATS. Those groups of people are almost vehemently opposed to modern medicine, and would probably go back to the days of blood letting if they thought it did any good.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

an outlet for hate"

I have to admit, that I have never been so surprised, baffled and at the same time disgusted by some of the messages that have been conveyed in many of the threads on the boards recently. When I first came to this website, three years ago, I was simply blown away by the in depth discussion, high quality of threads posted, and the heated yet, challenging debates of various view points on a great range of topics.

These days Im not so impressed by the content, and while I love ATS, Im finding myself being driven away to the light hearted confines of BTS, where there seems to be more quality in many of the threads posted there. Im not saying that there are not any good threads on ATS, but it appears they are becoming harder to find every couple of months or so.

This is not a dig at ATS itself, its a dig at some of the content that is polluting the boards.

Since when did people think that using one of the worlds most frequented conspiracy websites, was a good tool to spew forth hatred, racism, religious intolerance, attacks on religion and sexual preference?

Ive had enough of this crap, and I dont understand why when I log into ATS, I should see dozens of threads which include:

100% proof of why god does or doesnt exist (does NOT belong in the conspiracies in religion forum, period)

100% proof that atheists or "insert religious sect" are stupid, wrong, ignorant etc etc

Anything that condones the horrific crimes against humans or animals. For example, people believing Hitler was a saint, or claiming that animals have no rights and/or feel pain

Anything that claims that one sex is superior to the opposite one

Anything that claims homsexuals are evil, abnormal humans or any other homophobic or religious based homophobic comment

Any complete trash talking about muslims....especially when most of us know absolutely nothing about them

Any thread that claims one country is better than another for whatever reason

Any thread that claims caucasians are more advanced than other races, and afro-american people are sub human, or any other racial remark against them. And that goes both ways

Any thread that attacks communism, or any other political sect, which again most of you either use disinfo from unreliable, or propoganda websites or even blogs

Anything that attacks Israel and the Jews, where some comments have been down right ridiculous and disrespecftul

The blatant attack on Law enforcement officals, and hiding behind the NWO conspiracy, to justify your hate for them, or using any possible source to justify an attack

Free speech fine....but using it to spread hate...is not

The lack of these types of threads and comments used to seperate ATS from most other conspiracy websites, but now we seem to be heading in the opposite way. I can name many where these comments are welcome, but they dont belong here.

Its time for us to act ATS'ers (I know many of you want to say it, but dont know how, or dont want to). Let it be known that this kind of BS is not wanted here. We want the board of ATS to be filled with interesting, mainly conspiracy related topics, no matter how silly, or far out they are, wether we agree or not with the OP!

This is not a rant, I wanted to convey this (what I feel) is a very important message out there for every member to read, and every member to take into account, so that ATS moves forward, and continues to be head and shoulders above every other conspiracy website in the world!

Im not asking for anyone to reply, or flag or star this, but I hope you all take it on board, and pass it on to others. If you dont agree, then I will be interested to see why you think my entire message is wrong.

Thanks

[edit on 13/8/2010 by OzWeatherman]

I am with you Sir! There is far more going on in the world that needs our attention than silly-assed hate threads against Muslims or Jews or threads making Hitler out to be a saint - all of which I take offense at, but that's just me. It seems to me that too many people push a political/religious/social agenda on here that cheapens the honest exchange of ideas on what is happening in the world. Thank you for bringing this subject up.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Being an ideologue and moral absolutist, I am indeed prejudiced and hate certain things.

To say so is not heresy. I will not recant.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
S&F Oz.

The internet is ripe for keyboard warriors to post any argument they feel like at any given time especially when it comes to the topics covered on ATS.
I see posts made here hidden behind usernames and I know darn well if they were speaking directly to a person's face, their stance would be far different.
Such is life on the interwebz.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

An example of what my mother taught me to show how really ANYTHING can be discussed delicately. We'll use the terrifying question, 'Does this dress make me look fat?'

Incorrect: It's not the dress- you're just freaking FAT!
Correct, honest, and no need for hiding your true opinion under the bed: You have such a lovely figure but I'm not sure that dress does it justice. It doesn't seem to flatter your proportions.

you should have taught my ex and i still might be married

anyway - agree with every word you are saying.
it is not kind of art – if you can say this in english, i am not sure – to express something in an antagonistic way. sometimes it is really difficult to express it the way that somebody is not hurted but also being able to say what.s on your mind.

sadly some people think it is not worthwhile the effort.

sometimes i get the idea that this should also be taught in school

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

An open message to you all "Since when did this website become.....
an outlet for hate

hate was empowered and invited when "Deny Ignorance" was adopted as the ATS motto.

synonyms, and the meanings of the words, let us not forget these things.

When Truth is a choice, when Truisms are a choice, when we believe Truth is a choice, then ignorance is a by-product of those choices.

the opposite of ignorance becomes the denial of individuality as a right.

"DENY" is a synonym for "IGNORE".
* When we deny something exists, we are ignoring something exists.

"IGNORANCE" is a synonym for "INNOCENCE" (in, no sense) aka, babies/children.

SO, one possible interpretation of DENY IGNORANCE can be interpretted to mean: IGNORE BABIES.

so, perhaps ATS HATE is rooted in the motto of neglecting children *which is against some laws, me thinks, but the world is too preoccupied to notice.

who is your The Powers That Be (TPTB)?

"Those who do not learn from history, are bound to repeat it."

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I responded to a line made by a mod in this thread, so if it's off topic it's the mod's fault.

my post contribution was directed towards both of you Point of No Return, and Neformore.

i am not anti-dialogue on the issue(s) of hate being pandered on ATS for free....

i was just offering my opinion that i do not come to ATS and read the post contributions between Mods and Members alike that go something like this:

"I'm not a liar, you liar"

"That was a lie"

"Liar"

"That is a lie"

name calling, and considering the roots for the conversation stem from another thread, or a past encounter, it has become a personal commentary on eachother, and not neccesarily a conversation relevent to the dialogue of this thread.

if you guys want to air your dirty laundry here, ok, fine.

but, in my opinion it deludes the quality and credibility of both of you.

i suggest a private u2u conversation may fix it, as the arguement between you probably won't be resolved in the public opinion forums of ATS.

or....

take it to the debate forum!!!

ooh...

thanks,
et

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

"IGNORANCE" is a synonym for "INNOCENCE" (in, no sense) aka, babies/children.

To me, the concept of ignoring implies cognizance.

Ignorance is closer to tolerance.

In the case of ignorance, as with tolerance, you know better.

In that you know better, you are not innocent.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DiYenar

star for sharing those thoughts.

ignorance may be relevent to the current mood of an individual, also.

ignorance to some is simply not knowing, where as stupid is knowing better, but trying the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

ignorance can be interpreted as not knowing.

I'm just suggesting that a correlation between "HATE" and ATSers exists.

there must be something here on ATS that invokes hate on our ATS, our threads, our posts.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yep, and it's the main reason I quickly lost interest in ATS. It has good intentions and I can respect that, but I personally got tired of the thread bullies and arguing with folks who refuse to be open minded (starting to resemble prison planet). When I get replies like "I know more about this than you ever will', 'that's just idiotic' and other cocky replies. I just went back to lurking. I had another acct over a year ago, and I ended up abandoning it for these same reasons. Most every thread you read these days is derailed, or evolves into heated arguments and demeaning remarks. It's the biggest reason 'the resistance' will faulter, is that even people united against the global agendas can't agree on anything. Ideas and speculation are bait for the know-it-alls, and when theories are offered, the OP is blamed for fearmongering, even though it was merely a conversation and not a public invitation for an intellectual lynching.
I'll digress back to the point that one cannot discuss UFOs, religion, or politics without being flamed by someone who cannot fathom the depth and scope of our primary motive in these forums to discuss possibilites and ideas.
I've researched many many topics (for about 10 years) and I find it difficult to participate in threads because I know who the ego maniacs are that like to play devil's advocate instead of contributing to viable conversations.
Maybe one day I'll check back again and see if ATS has evolved back to the days of respectful intelligent threads. If we cannot show respect and dignity in the threads, it is yet another battleground we shouldn't be in.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
None of you know true hate.
There is no problem with ATS.We are just rehashing old ideas the children need to learn.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Once upon a time, religion, politics, and sex weren't discussed in polite company. Maybe there was more wisdom in that than we realize because it sure seems like we've cross that line, and this is what we got

I mean, seriously? Religion and faith are something that live within a person...it's something private. Why this incessant need to constantly talk about it and bring it up to people who really don't care as long as it doesn't hurt or affect them personally? Same with a person's politics or sexual preferences or any other personal thing that doesn't affect anyone else.

The VAST majority of people probably never give a thought to how someone else worships or votes or you-knows until it gets thrown in their face...and then somehow it "affects" them and they feel they are obligated to say something.

It may just be that we've done this to ourselves in a lot of cases is all I'm saying

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join