It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret Thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I have to disagree with your view, but I'm glad that you had'nt heard of the concept of teh secret and you sought out more information, thats what I wanted this thread to be about.

I think that the 'Secret' and the whole Christian Bible is based on older foundations, such as the Quaballa, Hermeticism, Oriental/Eastern traditions.

Some things you might find interesting:

Pranayama

Bhagavat_Gita

Robert Anton Wilson on Reality, Acceleration of Time & Consciousness

*Edit for Embed... Again.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by carlitomoore]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore

I have to disagree with your view,

Whats to disagree with?

All of the principles of the law of attraction are found in the bible. That is a fact.

I'm not saying that's where all the people in the movie got their info from. I'm saying it's all found in the bible and is at least 4000 years old according to that.

Of course it may be older but I have no knowledge of these books.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the Bible birthed all these ideas. Your last post cleared it up.

For the record, I was'nt saying your view was wrong, only that I did'nt agree with it.

After looking through Skyflaotings thread, you would be best going there for anything related to the Law of Attraction, and stick to this thread for the Secret.

I think it can be seen from previous posts however that it is nothing to get excited about.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
What I didn't like about The Secret is they do not really give you a concrete step by step guide on exactly how to do it. Sure they give you lots of info but no examples for a practical guide. For instance, How long do you dwell on a desire to start the ball rolling.. How often a day do you do this for that amount of time before you 'let it go' and give it up to the Universe to fulfill.

On the Internet every where I see people talk about The Secret, they always say the movie introduced them to the subject but they had to have more info to really understand it.

I did ask some questions in Skyfloating's thread but it seems she is away from ATS for the weekend.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

The Law of Attraction, or "The Secret", is governed by your mind. It essentially states that if you strongly desire something for long enough, it will become ingrained deep in your mind and you will sub-consciously (and consciously) find ways to achieve that desire.

Examples of how it works:

If you think about falling in love with a girl you have a crush on for long enough, you might not find love with her, but you will find love with some girl because you have disciplined your mind to be open to finding love with a girl. KEY: Constantly imagine you are going to fall in love with a girl.

If you think about becoming wealthy for long enough, you will find ways to achieve that goal because you have disciplined your mind on that thought. KEY; Imagine yourself soon to be wealthy and imagine you are good at making money.

It also can work on negative things to not just positives.
If you think angry thoughts about someone for long enough, sooner or later you will act or react towards them in a angry manner, because you have disciplined your mind to think angry thoughts about them. KEY: constantly imagine you are doing or saying negative things to them.

Honestly, this is no secret at all, it is the natural process of how the human psyche works. I imagine one day people will be selling "The New Lost Secret: How to Stay Alive" and it will be all about how to breath air. Their selling water to a well, fire to the devil type thing in my opinion.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I rented this a while ago, and while the message is simple and positive, I still
felt like they were spoon feeding crap.

There was one scene that bugged me.

How I remember it:
This guy had a board of all of these things he desired, goals, etc. On this
board was a picture of this house he told himself that one day he will own. Fast
forward a few years later, he looks up on the board and realizes, "wait, that's
my house"!!!

He had attained it and didn't even realize that he was living in the house
that he had a picture of on his wall of goals.

What a crock of sheet.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

The way you describe it, is very different than in The Secret. You more or less are saying that anything you put your mind to with hard work and focus, you can achieve.

In the Secret, they say that it's 80 percent mental and 20 percent action - if action is even required. The Universe will provide.. you don't have to work for it or work at it hard at all.. that's what I take away from The Secret. it's a more mystical type of acquiring than simply working for something and getting it through persistence.

In fact.. you have to forget about the thing that you desire (release it) and simply allow the universe to deliver it to you. To me that's the opposite of working to get something.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Hmmm... interesting. I have not read or studied "The Secret" but I assumed from what I read in the brief description and from what others were saying it was, that they were describing the Laws of Attraction. From what you informed me it is, I can not offer any insight. All I can ask is, does that make sense to you? Doesn't sound logical to me. What is there logical explanation for how that works? Do they say God will grant you these wishes? If so, why not just become a member of one of the Abrahamic religions and pray?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
why seek secrets. for if they are the real secrets. they will be of a truly higher order of things most peoples minds can not grasp to be even utilized. instead why not follow the path and start at the bottom like most of us that have learn some neat things. mediation / true mediation is the first key. and add daily healthy yoga for the body. now we have the first key, balance the mind and the body. humm thats the first secret. like all true secrets that have no value to those that are not ready for them. if mediation you deiced to start i posted a form of meditation in another post look up my few posts to see it and guess what it is free. all true secrets have a price but its not in money its a price payed by practice of yourself. through practice you prepare yourself for the next step
the kolbrin bible is a great read to .. manny encoded secrets in there you can read it free on goggle to.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore
reply to post by Justaposter

Are you saying you have read this and it is not very good? I have never seen Oprah so cannot really comment. I read Eckhart Tolle's 'The Poer of Now' and I think that had been hyped by Oprah, and I found it pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation.

I haven't read The Secret, I was mildly curious about it until I saw a promo for it.

The one I saw had a woman window shopping (as we love to do) and stopped right in front of a necklace and and they had the narrator say "do you want the necklace, if you wish for it, it can be yours (paraphrasing it) and POOF there was the necklace on her.

Totally turned me off right then and there. Should I have given it a real chance? Maybe, but I could not get that cheezy promo out of my head.

The Law of Attraction has been around in many different formats for years. And personally I am very wary of things promoting material things instead of life enrichment things.

If you would like to hear Dr Dyer speak, keep an eye out for your local PBS stations during there membership drives. They usually have one of his lectures on then.

I value everyones input on The Secret.. and like I said, if I can get that cheezy promo out of my head I might read it one day.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

Hmmm... interesting. I have not read or studied "The Secret" but I assumed from what I read in the brief description and from what others were saying it was, that they were describing the Laws of Attraction. From what you informed me it is, I can not offer any insight. All I can ask is, does that make sense to you? Doesn't sound logical to me. What is there logical explanation for how that works? Do they say God will grant you these wishes? If so, why not just become a member of one of the Abrahamic religions and pray?

The movie The Secret did indeed make such claims as I have described. I think there are different schools of thought based on the Law of Attraction and some perhaps may have more new age influence than others.

To answer your question, they say " The Universe" will grant you the things you think about.

I found a Megaupload.com download link for the movie The Secret but I won't post it here because I do not know how legal it is. If you want to watch the film to corroborate my claims above let me know and I will send it to you.

I am putting together an experiment for ATS members to try to see if we can make some of the principles of LOA work for us with results posted after 3 months. I figured it should be interesting what comes out of it. ( see my sig file)

I do not believe in all of the metaphysical/new age stuff out there but my premise is if there really are universal laws that follow universal constants and always work, what's it going to hurt if Sally gets a new dress just by thinking about having it.. so to speak.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

I totally agree with you, that turned me off too. But then I guess to get the most money out of their 'secret' they had to gear it towards the mainstream and material.

It actually has one or two good points - but I'll say it again, you would probably get more out of Skyfloating's thread.

I would recommend to read it as it seems you are discerning and would be able to separate the wheat from the chaff (so to speak).

But just try to borrow it from someone if you can - don't give them any more money!

[edit on 16/8/2010 by Netties Hermit]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I am sorry but i just don't see how it is possible, it defies logic. Aside from materialistic items, which even then all you are doing is tricking your mind into obtaining something. Problem is you can change yourself and control your own actions but you can't control and change other people. You can influence them, using logic you can alter your own behavior to get the desired responses from other people, but you cant change them.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I am very leery of this type of thought because of its implications.

To wit: A billionaire is a billionaire because he thought the right thoughts and that makes him a spiritually higher being than some starving child in a shantytown gutter who is getting rickets because he didn't think the right way.

Sorry, I've seen too much of the third world to buy into that kind of sickness. That may not be the author's intent but that's where this kind of thought leads.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

so basically what your saying is life is luck. the rich guy is lucky and the guy with rickets is unlucky? .. i really hope you are not implying this. there is a secret truth. all is mind . what you set for yourself before birth effects your life. what you do/think during life effects your life as well, there are many laws that effect your life, but unless your able/ thru practices to harmonize yourself/ tune. you can not but uses these laws blindly/ foolishly to bad most just want things given to them, or hang onto there programed minds about this materialist reality.
i have not checked out the sight i dont need to i started at the bottom. and now i understand things that would make most peoples heads spin.
there is nothing in life that has anything to do with this foolish idea of luck.
dont waste your time or money on this give me money for a secret sights its all just another money grabbing con job. the secret is hard work and self practice then it leads on from there.
and yes there are many paths , just make sure the ones you follow improve your life . thats how you can tell if it is real or not

[edit on 16-8-2010 by pathwalker]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Now this thread has taken a slightly differnt turn, let me contribute somethign that some of you may or may not agree with. This is not necessay what I believe, because I think belief is a very powerful word and although I thing I understand some things, and I want it to be true, I always have a problem with conviction. Few points:

If you take the very idea of mind before matter. You can talk as much metaphysics as you want, but taken simply this is a very true statement. We do not yet know how the mind works or how thoughts develop. What we do know is that there is an electrical impulse in the brain, which fires synapses and nerves. If I tell myself to move my hand, these signals then travers through the nervous system, and my hand will be moved.

This raises many questions such as holographic mind, phantom lims etc. But what it does tell us that through the very nature of electricity, that thought starts a chain of events (movement of electrons) which results in an action.

Now why must that action be limited to the human body? And the very action of moving your hand through space and therefore time, means that you are having an effect on the universe, however small. This implies to me that it COULD be possible, to manipulate reality through the use of the mind.

This is why I am so interested in the metaphysics, because EVERYTHING is related. The mind is the prime mover of the universe.

With the example of the third world and the billionaires, I think that there would always be limitations of what one could do with their life. Not everyone could be a billionaire, as there is no equilibrium there. The universe favours balance, it is a universal law. It is governed by forces we don't realy undrstand.

Again take astrology. Alot of you may dismiss it as folklore, new-age or whatever. But take the fact that planets have a gravitational force. Why could this not be affecting us and we not know, just like there are millions of differen wavelength signals around you right now.

Again science is even starting to consider the fact that the three forces are actaully constituents of one greater force. This is what traditions have taught for thousands of years!

Finally it has been proven that living things have energy fields, and that negative and positive thoughts have different effects on our bodies. Again, this by the very nature of reality means that we are effecting the universe, not just ourselves!

To sum up before I bore people, I see no reason whatsover that the Law of Attraction could not be part of the universe, but it is also controlled by the greater forces of the universe so there are limtations.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

i really liked your post i gave you a star.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pathwalker

Thanks pathfinder, much appreciated. I come to ATS to learn from people and share what I have learned. I honestly think that everytime we question something and think it through logically we are moving closer and closer on what it is we want to find from life.

Like you said, its not a case of watching one video and reading one book and being enlightened. It takes time, patience and understanding.

Heres a link to a video site I have just found, there are loads of clips of things we have just been talking about, think we would all find it useful.

SPIRITube

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join