It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100-year-old Scotch pulled from frozen crate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

TextThis Scotch has been on the rocks for 100 years: whiskey crate found in Antarctic ice opened A crate of Scotch whiskey that was trapped in Antarctic ice for a century was finally opened Friday — but the heritage dram won't be tasted by whisky lovers because it's being preserved for its historical significance. The crate, recovered from the Antarctic hut of renowned explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton after it was found there in 2006, has been thawed very slowly in recent weeks at the Canterbury Museum in Christchurch on New Zealand's South Island. The crate was painstakingly opened to reveal 11 bottles of Mackinlay's Scotch whiskey, wrapped in paper and straw to protect them from the rigors of a rough trip to Antarctica for Shackleton's 1907 Nimrod expedition. Though the crate was frozen solid when it was retrieved earlier this year, the whiskey inside could be heard sloshing around in the bottles. Antarctica's minus 22 Fahrenheit (-30 Celsius) temperature was not enough to freeze the liquor, dating from 1896 or 1897 and described as being in remarkably good condition.

Source

An interesting little story that I stumbled across and I invite you all to read the full article .

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Scotch? Scotch is that old? I wouldn't drink it if I were the people who found it. We should send it to an alcoholic museum.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Actually that's what they are going to do with it .

Apparently the recipe was lost to time and they are trying to conduct some tests to see if they can rediscover the lost recipe .

[edit on 13-8-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Will you drink it if they found out the long lost recipe? I don't drink liquor because I hate felling drunk.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
That's one artifact I would have a hard time turning in, LOL. Although from what I know of scotch whiskey it ages not in the bottle but the barrel, so this is probably more valuable to a collector for it's historical value than for sampling and drinking.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If they had found a hidden stash of Cuban Cigars with it as well....by God the world might never of known about the discovery

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
eleven bottles eh? sounds like someone had a little drinking problem..

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Nice reminder of the past,should be kept in a museum.
Reminds me of a news story a while back,where they located the remains of a ship which had sunk off the the coast of scotland,they recovered whiskey from the wreak.
Turned out it was the very shipwreak that the classic film "whiskey galore!" was based on.

A bottle of whisky recovered from the wreck of a cargo ship which inspired the film Whisky Galore! sold at auction yesterday for £2,200 to a teenager captivated by its remarkable story.
The bottle of Ballantine’s Scotch whisky is one of around 240,000 bottles which sank with the SS Politician after it ran aground off Eriskay in the Outer Hebrides in 1941.
For weeks the Scottish islanders celebrated on the spirits they had looted from the wreck, hiding the bottles before government officials could find them.
The sinking of the SS Politician inspired the novel Whisky Galore and later the 1949 Ealing comedy film, helping ensure the tale of the islanders’ raid entered into legend.

www.independent.co.uk...

Expensive stuff nowadays.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Max_TO

Will you drink it if they found out the long lost recipe?

Actulay , that would be the foundation of one heck of a marketing ploy .

I can just see the advertisements now LOL

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I know this isn’t the case but my mind wandered a bit to the possibility that there were two crates found and the finders saying to each other, “Now guys remember there was only one crate found, we all have to stick to the story.”

Very interesting story, hope they rediscover the lost recipe.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Although from what I know of scotch whiskey it ages not in the bottle but the barrel, so this is probably more valuable to a collector for it's historical value than for sampling and drinking.

You are correct... The scotch in question will have developed no further attributes in the bottle, as is the case (no pun intended) with all spirits. Only the friendly confines of a barrel will contribute to the maturation of spirits. Wine does age and develop in the bottle.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Doesn’t it have to do with the wood in the barrel reacting with the agents in the alcohol that help age it? It has been a while since I have taken a brewery tour so not sure if I remember this right.

[edit on 8/13/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Haha "Whisky Galore.."
brilliant old black and white film,
they dont make them like that anymore,
here's part 1 of 8

www.youtube.com...

PEACE,
RK

[edit on 13-8-2010 by Rigel Kent]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Yes, there is a migratory process in and out of the staves and heads (the parts of the barrel) as the spirit/wine is aged. The two flavor compounds that are imparted by oak barrels are vanillans and tannins. This can be controlled by the amount of time in the barrel, and the toast of the staves and heads. It is not unusal that barrels previously used to age Port, Sherry, Maderia or other fermented liquors are then used to age scotch. This will impart the ingrained qualities of the previous fermented liquor into the scotch.

In an extreme case of diligence... Kelt sails their Cognac and Armagnac around the world to enhance the maturation process.

Kelt Petra being this monkey's Cognac of choice... Makes Louis XIII taste like what I fling... Seriously...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Scotch? Scotch is that old? I wouldn't drink it if I were the people who found it. We should send it to an alcoholic museum.

Is there such a place?

Are they hiring?

Harte

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
From what I've heard, the "brown liquors" like scotch are drinkable longer even than wine. A good scotch even in the bottle can make a nice long-term investment. Don't know about 100 years, though...most wine is vinegar by that timeframe, and even if scotch lasts longer I'm not sure whether it can cross the century line. Anyone know?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
eleven bottles eh? sounds like someone had a little drinking problem..

Drinking problem? Try thinking ahead for a very long voyage over water...you have to take everything in bulk...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
They are just lucky that I didnt find it

100 years old or not...scotch is scotch

And that also wouldve resulted in one frozen OzWeatherman...comatosed on the ice

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I'll be the first tester and let you know when I finish. 21 is smooth 100 idk. But I'm willing to test it.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I'd pay highly for a shot of this Scotch. The oldest whisky I've had is 21 year Glenfiddich and I don't like the highland malts. Second oldest is 16 year Lagavulin...beautiful. Lowland and peaty.

I'd happily drink a throatburning highland malt that shared the history of exploration and adventures of Sir Shackleton. Any man who's got craters named in his honor will have a whisky worth enjoying. It'd be like the spirit of adventure captured in a glass.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join