It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA evidence of an Israeli nuclear test

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

CIA evidence of an Israeli nuclear test

www.guardian.co.uk

According to the report: "In September 1979 some special security measures were put into effect which indicate that certain elements of the South African navy were exercising or on alert. The harbour and naval base at Simonstown were declared on 23 August to be off limits for the period 17-23 September … Also, the Saldanha naval facility was suddenly placed on alert for the period 21-23 September."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
OK so the article relates to a test in '79 which is (edit almost! next month will be 31 years) 31 years ago but the article from the Guardian is dated today. It is with regard to the Vela Incident

However, it has never been ruled out that the "double flash" signal might have been a spurious electronic signal that was generated by an aging detector in an old satellite. No corroboration of an explosion, such as the presence of nuclear wastes in the air, was ever made, although there were numerous passes in the area by U.S. Air Force planes that were specifically designed to detect airborne radioactive dust.

Remember that Israel still has not confirmed that they have nukes (so that pretty much makes it the worst kept secret in military history).

So, thoughts?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13/8/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
my thought is a lot of countries have nukes.

With crap-hole countries like Iran breathing down their necks, I think Israel should have WMDs in order to defend themselves.

Im sure they hope they never have to use them, but thats up to Iran.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
So the CIA has known since 1979 and hasn't done anything about it? Yep, sounds about right.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Remember that Israel still has not confirmed that they have nukes (so that pretty much makes it the worst kept secret in military history).

Give me a break. Yeah, they haven't so-called "confirmed" they have nukes, but we know that they have them, as they were confirmed by that whistle blower Vanunu guy.

It's like saying the local news hasn't "confirmed" there's aliens. Most of us know they're there...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I find it quite odd that the Israelis would be testing Nuclear Weapons in or in the surrounds of a South African naval base even during the apartheid regime era!
I was twenty years old and in the S.A. Military (Signals) at the time and never heard even a rumour of this!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Big deal......not!

The French were experimenting in the South Pacific so was the USA, Britain, South Africa and Australia. These were mostly atmospheric tests and many of those living in the South Pacific region are still living the consequences of these nation's nuclear testing.

Its always easy to point fingers at Israel but not of other nations?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Well the important issue is really that if a country such as Israel is blatantly ambiguous about their nuclear weapons capacity then that really should make people pay attention, and that's exactly what it does - either by design or by effect.

Sure everyone and their dog knows full well Israel has these weapons, France the UK and the USA (and others?) helped with the installation of a 'carpet factory' that had many underground levels
.... But strongly suspecting is not full blown truth, and should Israel ever officially declare their capability they would have to consider things such as the nuclear non proliferation treaty and internationally sanctioned observation.

Dare I point out that Iraq was invaded under a similar pretence?

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Its always easy to point fingers at Israel but not of other nations?

Israel make it incredibly easy to point fingers at them... Do you have anything intelligent to add?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Keep us Aussies out of this nuclear test stuff...

I have never heard of Australia testing nuclear weapons,

Hell, we wont even let US nuclear armed ships dock here...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
this post is a figment of your imagination

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Nuclear atmospheric testing took place in South Australia in the 1950's and 1960's until President Kennedy put a stop to it not long before he was assassinated in 1963.

ABC ran a documentary on it.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

NZ is the only nation in the world that does'nt allow nuclear powered naval ships in their harbours; Australia does allow them!!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Correction: nuclear powered, nuclear weapons

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The French were experimenting in the South Pacific so was the USA, Britain, South Africa and Australia.

Yes, we got suckered into letting the US poison our troops instead of theirs, but the weren't OUR tests...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Ahhh, I said nuclear ARMED....Big difference...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I made the correction earlier....I did mean nuclear weaponry and nuclear powered. Yes they do frequent Australian Harbours from time to time - mainly Sydney and Perth where they do dock. They are NOT allowed in NZ waters however I'm fully aware USS Naval submarines are lurking in our waters and throughout the Pacific.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I might add your legislation still ALLOWS Nuclear Power..
Although, like Australia, you dont have any plants yet..

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Again you are wrong. US army men were used for tests. Perhaps you missed the documentary afew nights ago on ABC at 8.30pm "The Death Doctors".

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Ummm, I have seen the films of Aussies in just shorts, cleaning down the planes that flew through the radioactive clouds while the US scientists, in full biohazard gear, watched on...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Wrong once again. NZ does in fact have a nuclear power plant in the South Island - but when PM David Lange came in to power he shut it down and we turned anti-nuclear. The nuclear plant may be closed but it's still there, unused but maintained.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join