It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poland probes soldiers over Afghan house explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Poland probes soldiers over Afghan house explosion

www.google.com

Poland's military said Friday that it has opened an investigation to determine whether a group of Polish soldiers blew up an empty house in Afghanistan for fun.

Such an act would violate the Geneva Conventions, which define the needless destruction of civilian property as a war crime. If true, it would also prove an embarrassment to Poland's 2,600-strong military mission to Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wbj.pl

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Blowing up houses for fun?

Interesting. I hadn't heard of this one before.

Interesting that this qualifies as a war crime. I wonder if shooting dogs does too.

The headline at the story in additional news links says 'Polish soldiers destroy Afghanistan dwelling "for fun".'

There's a video at the bottom of this page...the explosion is at :50.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/13/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Blowing up houses for fun?

Interesting. I hadn't heard of this one before.

Interesting that this qualifies as a war crime. I wonder if shooting dogs does too.

Good to see Poland making some soundwaves regarding the counduct of the military.

of note the comment from Col. Piotr Lukasiewicz, a Ministry of Defense official

He said he has known soldiers to joke around while conducting controlled explosions or during other such missions —.

wow ... =] it must be tempting no?

but that it would be a serious matter if the soldiers needlessly blew up a family's home.

quite right

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I've seen plent of footage from Iraq and Afghanistan of soldiers joking or laughing when they are blowing up a weapons cache, boobytrapped house, an IED, or even when awaiting an air strike on the enemy. What is thr problem with that?

To blow up an empty house on purpose, for fun, is wrong, no matter how you cut it. But is that exactly what happened here? What if it was truely a booby-trapped house? What if there was a weapons cache inside? What if it was used by the enemy as a hide-out or staging home for attacks? We dont know, so who are we to judge with little to no facts? What if the person who taped it was joking around or being simple about naming it, and just named it "Blowing up a house for fun"? I doubt someone is actually going to admit to doing something so blatantly wrong or name a video like that. Give it some time folks till ALL the facts are in, and hold off on the typical "dog-pile on the military" "military people are evil, bad, horrible a-holes" nonsense till later. Im so sick and tired of these attacks and broad paintbrushing of military personnel as soulless, murderous zombies who kill and destroy for fun.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

From what I gather it was the Polish response to a video on the internet. They are starting an investigation, would said investigation happen without the video posting I do not know.

It has been alleged in the link provided by Lucidity it was indeed the blowing up of an ammo cache and that would suggest the areas was deemed safe to ignite and free from citizens.

The film is shot from a distance and details are difficult to make out, but Lukasiewicz said it seems to show a controlled explosion of unexploded ammunition — which in itself could have been a legitimate mission for the soldiers.

I do not think it is any way beneficial to "bash" any soldiers as the work they do is difficult, and at the moment is receiving awful press.

But I do think it would be rather tempting to play with the explosives as has been alluded to by Col. Piotr Lukasiewicz and they tend to turn a blind eye in the past.

it reminds me a bit of Brainiac

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BANANAMONTANA

Thats why i dont really like having videos on the battlefield. I mean ok, its great we can see what happens over there, uncut, unedited, and it can be helpful or hurtful. but something like this, well, makes problems where there shouldnt be.

I think that this video was no biggie until the title of it freaked the top-brass, and that is the response they are doing. Also as someone who is of Polish heritage, this does not make Poland look good if its true. I'm betting that this was truely a legit demolition, and the antsy-pantsy response is to the stupidly named title of the video!

But Oh I know how "tempting" it could be to play with explosives. lol! Ever since i was playing with fireworks, its very tempting to make something go boom!

[edit on 8/14/2010 by GenRadek]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

I think it is more a damage control. There is a lot of bad press floating about. I do think overall in these wars that the young men and women endure severe mental duress and there is a point of no return. When they do come home and this includes the UK they have minimal if no support for PTSD and other mental and physical injury . There is a very high percentage of homeless people who are ex military, sad but true.

I dont judge though have an opinion.

Well regarding videos in battle, I do think we need to see what is real and not edited for the heaving masses.

Playing with explosives...well it's a boy thing no? my brothers would scrape shotgun shells into metal tubes then hit them with stones.. well until my dad caught them =]

[edit on 14-8-2010 by BANANAMONTANA]

new topics

top topics

join