It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of "prophets" predicted world end for centuries...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
And fact is, they were all wrong. Interesting what drove these so called prophets?
Did they really believe it or was their purpose to get power over people.

Similar to populists or demagogues, which create concepts of enemies to get support of people and rise up in power.

Maybe they are sadists and like to bring fear to their fellow citizen.

I believe, there were some that did believe the end was near and even killed themselves.

Question remains, what brings people to predict apocalypses ?

[edit on 13-8-2010 by icepack]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I think there are many possible reasons for someone to claim that they are a prophet. It all depends on the person; some may do it because they believe they are prophets, others may know they are not and prophesize regardless. (Because they want attention or power or something like that.)

I have always wondered why someone would believe they are a prophet. For example, Ti and Do from Heaven's Gate thought they were the two witnesses mentioned in the Bible. Why would they believe such a thing?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
You know, prophets could predict the world's end for centuries yet not be in disagreement. The premise here needs refinement so that I may understand what is being said.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by InterMundia

i heard about heavens gate, but didnt they just believe they could get a ride into space ?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

i mean the people that predicted the worlds end on a date, which already passed and nothing happened.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I think many of these people have a thread-like attachment to the reality most people share. The people who make up prophecies and the people who choose to believe them indulge in a fantasy world where this kind of thing is actually 'real.' Perhaps it's like a covenant between attention seekers and worriers?

Like you point out, some have bought the BS to the point of making themselves physically ill with worry or just killing themselves. Whatever bizarre psychology drives someone to make prophecies...they should be aware of the 100% fail rate. It's not good enough for the cranks to try dodging the bullet by saying 'end of the world.....as we know it,' after the fact. It's just holiday island for the dull-witted.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

YAY! S & F.

A million idiots have prophesised nothing at all.

You are so right - people call themselves prophets - they are not.

People call themselves a lot of things they are not.

But do people ever honestly say what they really are? No.

What if people proclaimed themselves as paedophiles/murders/abusers?

What if people were really honest with themselves and everyone else? No.

People are liars, and that is a huge stain on the world.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The members of Heaven's Gate wanted to "evacuate the Earth". They believed a spaceship would take them (or rather their souls) to a higher level of existence. I think it is fair to say that the members of the cult were heavily influenced by their leaders, the couple Ti and Do. Ti and Do claimed to have had some vision which lead them to believe they were the two witnesses mentioned in the Bible. (I think it somewhere in Revelation but I could be wrong. I can look it up if you like.) I have written a paper about Heaven's Gate once and this is the part that always gets me. How and why did they come to the conclusion that they were prophets? How did they know the difference between a vision and a delusion? I have no idea.

InterMundia

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

i feel that their own mortality is a big factor...

to their eyes, the world itself must degrade (just as one ages)
to a point of total collapse and catastrophe (death)

they are either knowingly or subconsciously applying the 'Armageddon' theme (meme) to the world at large, as an analog to their own span-of-a-lifetime & demise.

call it a collective meme or an archtype of the human psyche'

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Mental illness
Delusions of grandeur
Or plain yearning for limelight

Generally what I think are the reasons people do this!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
maybe its spiritual influence like angels and demons.
those "prophets" which got false inspiration and go a wrong way in their beliefs, and on the other hand people which got the right stuff, like jesus, muhamed and bhudda.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I think some people pay attention to certain issues within their time periods. And after assessing the issues many feel that the time of JUDGMENT is near or upon them. I think 85% of the time its done out of compassion for the species and some feeling the need to want to warn others of doom thats near. 10% want attention and 5% may be mentally ill.

As far as them being Prophets, I dont know. John of Patmos is 1 that comes to mind as a prophet because he was visited and given data from ANGELIC. The many other Shaman, seers and psychics over time that are not writters of the great books, I consider them just that Shaman, seers and psychics not even downing them nor their potentials because their information may be = as valuable, I just associate Prophets with certain religions.

Thru time some are driven from deep within with a force that kind of lets them see hints of future situations. How this occures I dont know. But in general I feel most can tap into this projection ability, it just depends on your mental capacity.

Personally, over time I have noticed many things that I was given hints to come to pass. Things like in 2001 when 9/11 happened, I seen that as a BRIDGE TO THE MIDDLE EAST? But that makes me no prophet nor seer nor psychic, even though I was right. Also I seen the possible future of mankind, dont know if its for sure but I visualized it being -CLONES-CYBORGS-BIOENGINEERED ENHANCEMENTS OF HUMAN BODY-ROBOTS/SYNTHETIC AND MECHANICAL MABEY BOTH AND OF COURSE COMPUTERS BUT THE MAJOR THING WAS ALIENS yes E.T.z??? I know wild right but this is what I seen for the future of Earth 10 years ago when everyone was y2k happy. Funny thing is since y2k the world has been slipping?????? Wth is that. But again I feel many can tap in but some are just stronger then others with what they receive back....

The most important thing of ALL that I keep in mind is that the TRUE day of JUDGMENT can not and will not be told until JESUS himself is awakened or told, remember this day is only known to ALPHA not even ANGELS know!!! So noone can really tell but still some can predict major negative issues that may come to pass. But if the SON of GOD isnt even told when how can any others...
Nice question OP..S&F

[edit on 8/13/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Personally, over time I have noticed many things that I was given hints to come to pass.

i believe in "gifts from the gods" sort of speak.
how do your visions work ? you see them in dreams or like pictures in your mind when you are awake?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
i dunno, ask george w. bush and he'll tell you the answer you've been looking for.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Personally, over time I have noticed many things that I was given hints to come to pass.

i believe in "gifts from the gods" sort of speak.
how do your visions work ? you see them in dreams or like pictures in your mind when you are awake?

When I am just going thru my everyday life situations I may just go into deep thought about something I seen on tv or the net or news paper. WHen I do see something that captures my attention I think about it and while in deep thought the imagination begins to ponder potentially related effects to the cause that has my attention. Like seeing 9/11 went into deep thought and felt like damn the middle east is about to experience some real ish. Or when watching various scientific shows and something grabs my attention like nano bots, I begin to look deeper into related effects these may have and then the vision comes thru. But as stated I am no shaman-seer-psychic and I do believe many possess the same abilities when they concentrate.

[edit on 8/13/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Yeah I have puzzled over this since I joined ATS. This thread encapsulates my ideas on this illogical subject: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The future could be calculated but the part they wont see coming is what's out of the equation.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
What I find interesting is that these thousands of "prophets" are all from the past handful of centuries. It makes me wonder what kind of warnings and predictions were forecasted back before we were recording our history.

The only one that really frightens me is Edgar Cayce though, because that guy was just UNCANNY.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
they were false prophets... thats why.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
AND FEW Are right.

top topics

join