Rabid Vampire Bats in Peru

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

It reads like something from a schlock horror story, but rabid vampire bats have bitten over 500 people in Peru. Could possibly be linked to deforestation and loss of habitat.

Rabid Vampires

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
this is exactly why we need guns.

am i right?

just wait until you guys start seeing zombies

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The bats are watching one too many vampire movies. I blame Twilight. Next thing you know wolves are going to be biting people and everyone is going to start howling at the moon as for zombies LurkerMan, Flame thrower works best, lights the other zombies up.

On a serious note. I wonder if other animals loosing the rain forest will attack maybe they are fighting back? I know far fetched but I've noticed on ATS there's been quite a few threads about animal attacks.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Good find.

The BBC article that you cited above has links at the end of it to other attacks in South America in 04, and 05, but those were in Brasil. I appreciate you article and those links.

I also found this small article on bat attacks in Peru from 2007.

www.earthweek.com...

My theory is that the bat population exceeds certain levels every few years, and with how prone they are to getting rabies, the bats have a feast every few years, the local goverment kills off a bunch due to media pressure, and than it comes back in a few years.

Nasty stuff vampire bats.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by oxbow

This almost reminds me of the movie Nightwing. Only, in the book and movie, the bats were in the US and were carrying bubonic plague.

join