It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else enjoy learning new languages?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I know of numerous websites, downloaded numerous audio self help and purchased book/CD languages packs. One thing is it is very awesome and difficult learning a new language. Does any else have this difficulty? Also is anyone Bilingual?
I will share the sites I have with you.

www.loecsen.com...

languagestudy.suite101.com...

searchtruth.com...

www.101languages.net...

hskflashcards.com...

There are more websites if your curious!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm trilingual myself, I speak English, Portuguese and Spanish, and I will start learning French in two weeks, so this will help alot!

May I ask what language you are learning? just curious! Thanks OP

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well I speak English fluently. Also a lot of Spanish; because of my heritage and the numerous Spanish speaking people in my area, As well the same reason I speak a little Russian. Right now I'm getting better in both of those languages.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I would love to one day speak Russian, but learning a new alphabet is a bit too much for me

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Falken

Well there are numerous immigrants who only speak either Russian or Spanish in my area. I had to learn to understand what in the world they were telling me. It's weird having them strike up a conversation and you don't understand a word they are saying to you.
www.ilike2learn.com...

masterrussian.com...

www.languagehelpers.com...

Here are some great sites you can use.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Because i am a mostly full time missionay i do a lot of traveling around the world and it helps to learn the native language of the country i am traveling to.Currently i can fluently speak seven different languages: english and german (my native tongues)spanish french (high school)portuguese latin and arabic.I am wanting to learn some oriental languages as well but i have no idea how.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I have picked up quite a lot of spanish by hearing it and writing it down, sort of the way a child learns its parents language. I have pronunciation down pretty well but seriously need to learn its rules and verb conjugation to advance. I need to study the language and improve my Spanish vocabulary.

I find other languages very fascinating. The more I learn about Spanish and its simple phonetic pronunciation the more I like it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I tend to learn languages only if I am around people who use it. I can't just sit down with a book or audio tape and learn a language.

Several years ago I worked in this restaurant and the owner hired a lot of Armenians to work there. None of them spoke English, and so I went out and got a Russian to English dictionary and started speaking to them in Russian. Worked out real well too, they started speaking to me in English, and I would speak to them in Russian and slowly over the summer we both became pretty fluent in the languages, eventually they were able to tell me that they preferred not to speak in Russian so they started teaching me Armenian. I was doing pretty well till they left. Now with no one to use it on, I find I have lost all ability to speak either language.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Falken

Actually, the alphabet is the easy part, the conjugation and vocabulary are what kill you, though there are a lot of similar words....

For example PECTPAHT is Restaurant (in Russian). Looks different because of the alphabet, but pronounced the same.

I learned the alphabet, and had one semester of it, but the other students were basically Slavik and taking it as a refresher course, so I just couldn't hang with that.... Would love to try and learn it better though, as I can't even muddle through it.

I took Spanish for the requisite two years in High School, and can get by, but will sound like an idiot when I do. I'd love to learn this better also.

Had one semester of French (in Middle School), but never learned it all that well.

I learned a smattering of Arabic (mostly conversational, and swear words) while I lived in Saudi, but never how to read any of it....

One of these days, when I have more time for it, would love to get something like Rosetta Stone or something, and see if I could learn it all better. We Americans just aren't as exposed to different languages as many Europeans are. (mostly due to the size of the US)...

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Gazrok]

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I took two years of spanish in high school.
I have learned a little hebrew and I am
learning cherokee.

top topics

join