It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philly-Area Thief Gets 21 Years House Arrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Philly-Area Thief Gets 21 Years House Arrest

cbs3.com

PHILADELPHIA (AP) ―A suburban Philadelphia woman has been sentenced to 21 years of house arrest so she can work to repay $475,000 stolen from her employer.

A defense lawyer for 40-year-old Lanette Sansoni says the victim was more interested in restitution than jail time.

Lawyer A. Charles Peruto Jr. says his client has repaid about $275,000 already and will stay on house arrest until the remaining $200,000 is paid.

She can leave home to work—but could go to jail if the payments stop.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Here is a great example of our judicial system at work. The gal steals @$500K and is able to pay back $275K, obviously meaning she is not a fool. Yet because the victim of the theft is demanding restitution, she will be placed on house arrest for 21 years?

The cost to administer this sentence has to be in the thousands of dollars and the repayment of the stolen funds is a matter that should be enforced by a civil court, not a criminal court.

She should have received jail time and have been done with it. The sentence is cruel and unusual punishment

cbs3.com

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
She should have received jail time and have been done with it. The sentence is cruel and unusual punishment

The hell it is.

She stole so much money from her employer it bankrupted the company. The payment schedule is $750 a month and she's expected to pay it off sooner than the 21 years. She'll be released from house arrest as soon as the money is paid off.

If she fails payment she'll receive jail.

This is far better than jailing her, where the employer may never see restitution. Especially considering the small handful of jobs that would accept a felon convicted of theft.

[edit on 8/12/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

hey, in some countries they would have Cut off her hands
so she should feel lucky

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

cbs3.com

How is this cruel and unusual punishment? She gets to leave her house every single day and go to work. Then she gets to go home, eat her own food, sleep in her own bed. Watch watever TV she wants whenever and the list goes on. I would think jail would be cruel punishment over staying in your own home.

She can leave home to work—but could go to jail if the payments stop.

And she is a class A ewho actually deserved to spend time in jail

Sansoni, a title clerk, worked for a small title company that went bust because of the theft.

But now the victim will recovery their loses do to this criminal.

Im all about unusual punishments. Jail is not always the answer. But sometimes it is the answer.

[edit on August 12th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I would suspect that the firm she worked for was run by a dolt. How you can steal $500K from a small title company and nobody finds out is incompetence, plain and simple.

If this shop had such poorly defined internal controls that they would miss $500K, they deserve to get bilked.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Wow 21 years in the house , thats some grounding. I sure hope she has all the good tv channels, and a nice yard to walk around in. Then again its better then prison.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

If this shop had such poorly defined internal controls that they would miss $500K, they deserve to get bilked.

Justified theft huh?

I wonder if those that run the Federal Reserve think the same of everyone who doesn't see what they've done to the country.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

I would suspect that the firm she worked for was run by a dolt. How you can steal $500K from a small title company and nobody finds out is incompetence, plain and simple.

So blame the victim and not the criminal?
That is classic

Seriously, she is a Class A Criminal.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm interested in what the conditions of her house arrest are, especially if it's 21 years worth of wearing an ankle monitor. There is the possibility that her house arrest would be sans monitor and instead consisting of a curfew, checking in with whoever is her case manager be it through the phone or physically and/or weekly alcohol and drug screenings.

I know this is a different state and it's a prison sentence, since lasting over a year's time, but I work in my county's Electronic Monitoring Unit and the fees can be upwards of $20 a day. So that's a possibility of $153,300 total if at $20/day for her sentence (not accounting for leap years) for the monitor fees which is not including any possible enrollment fees.

Makes me want to know what possible units they're using but google is failing me at this point.

new topics

top topics

join