It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists Nightmare?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Well is it such a bad thing?

Really think ATS needs more threads from people who do not understand atheism to bash it for no reason?

Peeps come-on I doubt if OP knew anything about the other thread and
does it really matter?
Luckily it was pointed out by the 4th post in this thread.

Whole different person whole different thread. K?

Nope. Same damn thread as the other 400 hundred on the same topic, with the same ignorant posts, the same self righteous religious condescension, same lame attempt to convert people or label them in a fruitless effort to convince thinking people to abandon rationality out of fear of eternal punishment for the sins inherent with each and every godless atheist.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I wonder if christians think other christians are going to hell to for worshiping incorrectly like it says in the bible or is it just athiests? And for the christians, which ones of you are going to heaven exactly anyways? Jews believe in god, then christians believe jesus, then the mormons. All the same story and same god. Except it says worshiping idols or incorrect worship at all is damnation. So which sect is right exactly? Catholics, Protestants, Mormoms, Amish... Who isnt going to hell?

Obviously us "athiests" are going to hell but which one of you christians picked the right church? Please enlighten me on who isnt going to hell.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerForLight
I wonder if christians think other christians are going to hell to for worshiping incorrectly like it says in the bible or is it just athiests?

Oh Yeah! Especially the Southern Baptist. And it has to be the "right" Southern Baptist - - there is more then one kind.

According to the Southern Baptist - - not the First Baptist - - because they are not really Christians according to the "right" Southern Baptist.

If you do not believe and follow exactly the "right" Southern Baptist doctrine - - you are not Christian and you haven't a prayer of getting to Heaven.

And don't let anyone tell you I'm exaggerating - - because I'm not.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I wonder if christians think other christians are going to hell to for worshiping incorrectly like it says in the bible or is it just athiests?

Christ taught that, in order to receive everlasting life, we need only love God, love each other, and accept that his sacrifice reconciles us to God.

Doesn't matter what church you belong to, or even whether you belong to one or not. Salvation is simple, doctrine (that which separates Methodists from Catholics from Baptists) is where the complication lies, but it's outside of the scope of Christ's commandments.

If a person follows those commandments, they're good to go. If they claim to be a Christian but do not live by his commandments, they're going to have issues (as Christ himself said, "many will say 'Lord, Lord', but I never knew you.")

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It's a honey trap, just look at the source in detail.

Good entities recognize the good in others and do not require any kind or form of loyalty to return/give or grant a favor, malevolent ones' usually require your worship.

Can't we just be friends without one having to worship another to the point of giving up their soul?

[edit on 14-8-2010 by ixiy]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The very reason the god theory is too bizarre for me- I help people out as much as I can, and never ask for anything in return. Sometimes I get returns, sometimes I dont. But it never matters because of karma and how my friends all 'pay it forward' anyways.

But apparently god demands that he has to help me out, whether I think I need help or not, and in return (whether I like it or not) I have to devote my only life to him, or I burn in hell forever. I would never demand anything from someone who hasnt taken from me. Not just that but threaten their very life and existence for not succumbing to my demands.
God sounds more like Kim Jong Il, and the bible more like his military handbook. I thought we were given the rights to our souls and destinies... Seems like the choice is eternal slavery or eternal burning. If god were real he wouldnt be anything like Kim Jong Il...

Just saying...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

But apparently god demands that he has to help me out, whether I think I need help or not, and in return (whether I like it or not) I have to devote my only life to him, or I burn in hell forever. I would never demand anything from someone who hasnt taken from me. Not just that but threaten their very life and existence for not succumbing to my demands.
God sounds more like Kim Jong Il, and the bible more like his military handbook. I thought we were given the rights to our souls and destinies... Seems like the choice is eternal slavery or eternal burning. If god were real he wouldnt be anything like Kim Jong Il...

Just saying...

I agree so much. The more I think about it, the more malevolent the beliefs of every major religion (dare I say every religion?), especially the Abrahamic religions, seem to become. "Obey God unconditionally and you'll receive eternal happiness, but refuse and you will suffer eternal pain!" I refuse to compromise my values because I'm supposedly immoral for being atheist. I'd rather be "immoral" in your eyes than amoral in my own!

I also love the irony of the right-wing, which is primarily composed of supposedly "moral" Christians, proclaiming to defend "democracy" and "freedom" while simultaneously dedicating their lives to a, as they would term it, "fascist" religion! :bash:

[edit on 14-8-2010 by pr3l33t]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
See Pascal's wager is pretty much a flawed argument.

Are you stating that it is wise to believe in "god" or a particular one? And if you believe just because of the consequences how are you to be sure that is satisfactory to that god?

Belief in god should be brought on by love of the entity not fear of punishment and using Pascal' wager as an argument only puts the believer in a bind also.

What if you should be worshiping Allah in Islam? What happens if you don't? What about Krishna and Vishnu? What about all the other countless deities?

What if they exist and you are doomed? And why would the deity accept your petty worship if you are just avoiding punishment? It all boils down to subjective evidence and faith in it.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

What if another god other than yours was the right god and you effed it up? Then what? You spent your life believing in something that was a complete sham - and let's be honest you can't prove it's not - and wasted your life?

Already you spend your life hating on other people because of your beliefs, you should ask yourself 'what if I am wrong?', not if everyone else is.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Garfee because: sp

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Atheists just borrow morals from people who do believe in a purpose-filled life. An atheist who keeps asking "why" long enough will become a nihilist.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Theists have hijacked the morals we already had prior to the emergence of their particular theism. I always find it unbelievable that people think that morality is the product of a galactic space ghost superintendent.

Like we couldn't of come to the conclusion that murder, rape, stealing and lying are bad things that lead to bad repercussions on our own

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
According to whom are these morals wrong and why should we listen to him? If I disagree, can I rise to power, overthrow him, and make my own standard of morality? That's the thrust of Nietzsche and a conclusion I came to myself asking my self why I believed in the morals that I did as an atheist. Unless you accept certain thing as axioms (and why would you, a "freethinker", believe in anything without doubt?) anything is permissible. Without God no one would have to accept these axioms and no one has the authority to impose them as right or wrong. Only something transcendent could allow unquestionable standards.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

The ability to be really bad and kill, murder, rob and rape because their are no consequences afterward?

where do you live ? what about rule of law and punishment ?
"no consequences" ? ever heard of death-penalty ?

Who makes the rule of law, you, me, them???

Murder has been legalized in some areas of the world through abortion or assisted suicide.

Robbery has been committed to the world through bail outs of "the money changers"

Some one or something greater than man has to have made the moral law as men will change the law to suit their lustful desires.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by prepared4truth
And what if all of you were wrong and there were many Gods, none of them being Jesus Christ affiliated?

Then it wouldn't really matter would it? Because monotheism rules your lives through fear of death, which is only a word made up by people who can't explain life beyond the physical realm.

If you understood Christian theology, you might understand why a Christian believes that, in light of all other faiths, Christianity offers something that the others do not. However, if another faith is the correct one, I am no worse off than someone such as yourself, who has rejected all notions of anything superior to himself.

Fear of death, fear of anything, does not rule my life or make my choices for me. Your insults serve only to minimize you, not others.

The question I posed was "What if there are many Gods?"

How can you then say that I've rejected all notions of anything superior to myself?

This is the perfect example of typical Christian rhetoric. I understand Christian theology better than many Christians, which is why I can speak from the position I speak from.

Ugh, I don't even know why I try sometimes...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Murder has been legalized in some areas of the world through abortion or assisted suicide.

You might wanna look up the definition of "murder", because you don't seem to understand what it means

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

... as men will change the law to suit their lustful desires.

what ? there re good men and bad men, whats this prejudices for ?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join