It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have Intellectual Property Rights for what I Write?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I dont belive this.
so much copy right law.
and people like us get rip't off.
ATS is just like google.
I have been working on some thing.
but now I know I can not use the internet.
WE have NO copy rights!!!
only THEY do...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
WE have NO copy rights!!!
only THEY do...

Apparently you've not been reading this thread.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
n/m

Wish there was a delete option..

[edit on 13/8/2010 by badw0lf]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

What?

That doesn't make sense.

This is not hard to figure out...

If you want to own exclusive copyright to your content, DON'T POST IT anywhere other than your own website, magazine or self published book.

If you post it here, you still own your copyright. You simply don't own it exclusively, you share it with us, because we published your work on our site for you.

You can still make all the money anyone is willing to pay you for it without ever having to worry about us.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. D...we only lease our time and energy to the people and places that we work for. (Unless stated otherwise in a formal contract between two consenting parties that are of legal age and of sound mind and body).

I'm sure the counsel advice is appreciated, but your understanding is not correct.

From Columbia University (which has one of the best journalism and law schools in the country, IMO): copyright.columbia.edu...

If you created the work as an employee, acting within the scope of your employment, the work may be a "work made for hire." In that event, the copyright owner is the employer. If you are an employee, and your job is to create software code, the copyright probably belongs to your employer.

Likewise if you create a graphic or copy (text) for the company, as an employee, they most likely own it.

But for the purposes here, non-exclusive rights are whats important.
Exclusive rights means nobody, but nobody, can do anything with your work except YOU. Say you type your post in a text doc before you post it here - at that point you are the copyright owner AND you have exclusive copyrights.

Now you copy it and post it on ATS. YOU are still the copyright owner, but you just granted ATS non-exclusive rights - which by default, means you no longer have EXCLUSIVE rights (since you HAVE granted someone else non-exclusive rights).

Example: I submit a photo in a photo contest for a travel agency. By submitting it, I agree they can use my photo for promotional purpose (very cool for me!). I win the contest (even more cool for me!). My photo starts showing up on brochures, advertisements, etc. I have no control over how they use that photo IN THAT CONTEXT, but I still OWN the photo and can enter it in other contests, reproduce it, sell it in a really cool frame, and I can even promote myself by stating that my photo is used by ABC agency. ABC Agency, however, can not put my photo in a really cool frame and sell it. Nor could they present it as their own work. If one of their customers said "Hey, that's got to be the most awesome photo I've ever seen! Can I buy a copy?" - ABC Agency would have to say "Not from us, you can't." (Then they contact me and we strike a deal
)

Just for grins, check out the membership agreements in facebook or myspace...

[edit on 8/13/10 by sjrily]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

opps - time lag - didn't mean to be redundant...though the numerous...nevermind

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you SO for explaining this so clearly and eloquently. Although I have posted no such masterpiece and I doubt I would in future but it was nice seeing one of the Admins. reply to a query simply and with straightforwardness. I hope members queries are always answered in such a way in future also.

Regards

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This site is one of the better sites on the Internet. Other sites really rip you off.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Thank you ATS staff for ckearing this up. Second line to say I appreciate it and understand it now.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If you want to fully own your posts, cite your own exclusive page ( ie a blog or website you own ) as the source. It removes ATS as the primary source, and they would need to cite your page as the source for said post or content. But if you have to go through that sort of trouble, i would just not post it on ats.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by phi1618]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join