It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Army Tanks on the way some place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Today as I was driving towards El Dorado, Arkansas on my way to work, as I was near a little town called Strong, Arkansas I saw four wide load trucks. I always look to see what they are carrying and I was surprised to see four tanks. As I was driving, I could not get a picture or anything. This is the first time I have really noticed military tanks anywhere in my areas. I am not very familiar with such things, but these did not seem to be old tanks, but looked modern enough. The camouflage colors appeared to be bright and not faded. I am just wondering if these are going down to Louisianna for some reason. The next few towns they would have went through would be Crossett, Arkansas and then on down towards Monroe, Louisiana I suppose.
They may have been on the way to an armory in Pine Bluff, Arkansas.
Or they may have been on the way down to the border, in preparation for something.

It was just odd to see four of these and made me wonder if the military are preparing for something.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessieg
It was just odd to see four of these and made me wonder if the military are preparing for something.

Drill weekend? I know it's that time of the month here in PA.

Or, since you did say they looked new, they could be replacements or older tanks back from the paintshop.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by jerico65]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Well there may not be anything sinister at all going on. It was just unusual for this area. I mean, in small towns people will notice such things going through. I've never seen tanks in the area before.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Look at these photos and tell me what you saw ok please? Thanks a bunch.

Just wanna figure out what was being transported.

M1 Abrams
en.wikipedia.org...

IAV Stryker
en.wikipedia.org...

M2/M3 Bradley APC
en.wikipedia.org...

M113
en.wikipedia.org...

M60 Patton
en.wikipedia.org...

M109 Paladin
en.wikipedia.org...

XM2001 Crusader
en.wikipedia.org...

If it is not in this list of armored vehicles I listed, please let me know I can help you find it.

If you recognize one of these, please let us know which one.

It would help me envision what you saw a lot better. Thx!

[edit on 12-8-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Arkansas has their own National Gaurd units, just like all other States in the Union. Its entirely possible they were going south to the US/Mexican border, being shipped to a pickup point for deployment overseas, Battlefield replacements for Iraq/Afghanistan etc.

When I lived up North it was routine to see flatbeds hauling tanks down the highway (of course there was a manufactoring plant nearby as well).

While intresting, I would not read too much into it.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It looked most like the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.
I didn't see any long firing device in the front of it.
They were recently painted or at least appeared to have been repaired and ready for use. The colors were greens and browns, for a forested area use, and not yellowish for desert use.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by jessieg]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

After reading your posting I was curious what type of organizational composite would be used to only have four tanks and while it took me a while I have to conclude that they could be headed anywhere, but if they are part of some operational plan, then those four could be used to cover a pretty good area with three tanks and one serving as platoon leader positioning himself where best needed.

Then I wondered if perhaps foreign troops would organize the same and this is what I found.

In most modern tank army structures, the standard post WWII five tank platoon organization has been changed to either four or three vehicles per platoon/troop. The original concept behind the five tank platoon was to have two separate fire and movement sections, with the platoon leader joining one at will, as required by the combat situation.

The Israeli army, which has had substantial experience with tank warfare in the post WWII period, has shifted from five to four and finally three tanks per basic platoon.

The German Bundeswehr tank units have shifted from four tanks in its platoons and 13 Leopard 2A4 tanks (4 tanks x 3 platoons + 1 command tank) per company used under Army Structure 3, to its new 13 Leopard 2A6 company with only three tanks in each platoon (3 tanks x 4 platoons + 1 command tank).

The basic Russian T-72/80/90 tank platoon is still their traditional three vehicle formation, however, there are reports of a new concept being examined, under which a five AFV platoon will be established, with four tanks and a BMPT as the fifth vehicle.

The British army tank squadron has a 14 tank structure with four troops (platoons) of 3 Challenger II tanks and two tanks in the HQ section. These four troop squadrons give the squadron leaders the choice of forming two-tank sections, although in some cases with the two tanks coming from different platoons, without creating too much degradation in the squadron command structure, or leaving single tanks vulnerable, as might happen with a three-tank by three platoon company.

After considering all of this I concluded that we may never know where they are going unless they are used in some manner in the near future whereby we become aware of how and where such tanks are being used against either the population or perhaps against some smaller invading force that could be near the border or in the Gulf States region.

I for one thank you for your report. When you begin seeing those tanks in larger numbers is when I would begin getting alarmed. Four tanks is not enough for a revolutionary takeover, but they are enough to cause some read damage depending on who is the receiving party of their HE tank rounds.

Tanks are formidable and I for one would not want one aiming anywhere near me.

Thanks for the posting.

new topics

top topics

join