It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low oxygen levels: thousands of dead fish in NJ and MA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

www.datelinezero.com

Lack of oxygen is being reported as the cause of that die-off.

Is this cause for panic that the oxygen is running out? They are placing general blame on warm waters. As if to say, “don’t worry nothing to see here.” However, here is something from just last week:

“While there is far more reason to worry about rising CO2 than falling O2, we could still create a real oxygen crisis – not on land, but in the oceans. As atmospheric oxygen levels fall, less oxygen will dissolve in seawater, depleting”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.nj.com
www.datelinezero.com
www.newscientist.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Dead Fish Washing Up On NJ

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think that it's interesting to read the news of the dead fish in NJ. It's an odd kind-of story.

But when the story becomes about dead fish in both fresh water and salt water (as pointed out in another post), and also in other states far down the same shore line (as pointed out in the above article), there is reason for concern, isn't there?

www.datelinezero.com

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

I am in NJ and don't like that at all. You know, my conspiracy sense is in WTF mode now. Who knows if they say the real reason why those fishes are dead?

It seems like they are trying to make it look normal. I mean, do we remember if that happened last summer?.....fishes running out of oxigen in NJ?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It could be anything. New England has some notoriously dirty water.

Ever been to Coney Island?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I feel like this is just perpetuating fear. Can we offer a solution, and or conspiracy to relate this to? Is this part of the oil spill? How? Why?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I will go with the simple answer provided in the OP article:

Schools of menhaden, perhaps driven by predators, may have massed close to shore and rapidly depleted the available oxygen.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by YankeeDoodle

No, but maybe one day got to go there.......mmmm, nah.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Schools of menhaden, perhaps driven by predators, may have massed close to shore and rapidly depleted the available oxygen.

Predators.....,yeah right. the poor menhaden are dead because somebody is throwing crap in the river.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Predators.....,yeah right. the poor menhaden are dead because somebody is throwing crap in the river.

Also from the article (actually it reads more like a blog):

Officials say water sampling conducted Thursday suggest that oxygen levels in the bay were probably very low as a result of very warm air and water temperatures.

I understand that chemicals get washed into the rivers, which is sadly unavoidable, but there is no indication that chemicals are the culprit. I'll go with the officials on this one.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Brother, we can't believe it just because they said that.

I wish someone not from the gov. grab one of those fishes and run some tests.

Also note they use the term "probably" .

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Trueman]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Kinda funny how they throw around the word "probably." The peculation stuff just makes me more suspicious.

And it was odd how the one article notes the birds are not pecking at the fish. What's up with that???

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

I don't get where you are going with this. Hot temps make for hot water, which tends to hold less O2 and kills things. Let your fish pond get warm enough and see what happens without enough aeration.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Actually, Menhaden are notorious for lowering oxygen levels in the water surrounding large schools, and increasing the ammonia levels in that same water. If anyone is really interested in the scientific reason behind this fish kill, you can read the abstract of a paper published in 1972. That paper summarizes a study conducted by the University of Rhode Island, funded in part by the Office of Sea Grants Program.
resources.metapress.com...

The title of the paper is "The Environmental Effects of Atlantic Menhaden on Surrounding Waters".

Menhaden Fish Kills are EXTREMELY COMMON. Here is one from 2008 not far from NJ.
www.dnrec.delaware.gov...

Fish Kill Involving Menhaden Reported in Torquay Canal in Rehoboth Bay REHOBOTH BAY, Del. - A fish kill involving approximately 550,000 juvenile Atlantic menhaden was discovered this week in Torquay Canal, a deep circular dead-end lagoon upstream from the mouth of Bald Eagle Creek, located at the head of Rehoboth Bay. “The likely cause of the fish kill was a combination of extremely low dissolved oxygen in the water and weather conditions

www.google.com...:1&tbo=u&ei=z6dkTPzRJIL7lwfOjunA Cg&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=11&ved=0CEgQ5wIwCg

Click on the timeline area "more timelines" at the bottom of the search results.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by ProfEmeritus]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Thanks for that info. I'm in NJ and never knew about that.

By the way....:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13-8-2010 by Trueman]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
I feel like this is just perpetuating fear. Can we offer a solution, and or conspiracy to relate this to? Is this part of the oil spill? How? Why?

I'd say that is a very real possibility........

check out borderless current maps from 1943 on wikipedia, you will see that the gulf coast currents flow by the United States East Coast.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
snookie, let one loose!

i agree with ProfEmeritus, fill kills are common all over.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

...this ia a past post of mine... Which includes some information upon how we are lossing oxygen from all ocean waters... tied to increase cosmic rays and... ism ..dust

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Sounds fishy to me....

Seriously folks the waters are warmer, I would accept that as an explanation, it is so hot here, the cold water coming from the faucet is hot, my niece changed her fish out and all of them died. Based on that alone, a little mini experiment if you will, I would say that fish don't like hot water.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138

www.datelinezero.com

Lack of oxygen is being reported as the cause of that die-off.

Is this cause for panic that the oxygen is running out? They are placing general blame on warm waters. As if to say, “don’t worry nothing to see here.” However, here is something from just last week:

“While there is far more reason to worry about rising CO2 than falling O2, we could still create a real oxygen crisis – not on land, but in the oceans. As atmospheric oxygen levels fall, less oxygen will dissolve in seawater, depleting”

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.nj.com
www.datelinezero.com
www.newscientist.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Dead Fish Washing Up On NJ

It wouldn't surprise me if this is related to the toxic waters from the Gulf. Will BP & our government ever admit it? Probably not.

SeaWind

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
While the oxygen levels have been discussed as being causative to the death of so many fish. While few dispute this, what is very odd are remarks about the rats not even wanting to eat the dead fish. I picked this up while watching TV news broadcasts and that is when I heard the local remark about the rats not going near the fish.

Something in that casual observation by some local has me concerned. If the rats or vermin wont eat the abundant feast before their rat eyes, then the rats know something we don't about the fish that no one is discussing.

It is that type of testing that I wish someone would do, but alas, most of the time I feel as if no one is awake enough to even notice. Oh well. Time will tell us what many suspect but those rats not wanting to eat the dead fish is a real clue to something very concerning. With so many large fish kills going on all around the world, something tells me this phenomena may not be a phenomena at all. It could be planned and contrived to do exactly what it is doing.

The consequences to such a desire would be to impact the food cycle and begin a process that leads to many millions dying and to many sources of food being eradicated by poisons and dispersant. While they claim it is Corexit, we really don't know. They could be spraying whatever they want and no one would be able to do anything about it.

Anyway, I hate to take advice from a rat, but something tells me instinctively that the rat knows something for certain that we humans have yet to discover.

Thanks for the posting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join