It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why FDA policy on genetically engineered foods violates sound science and U.S. law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
(Thread title is title of a linked article.) I was doing some research yesterday that lead to doing some research on L-Tryptophan. The material I’m linking is not current news, but it is news, I believe it’s important, and it serves to confirm what many people are (hopefully) beginning to realize - that government organizations have been corrupted by corporatism, and many of them conspire to keep us ignorant.

These documents and articles discuss, among other things:

• The FDA’s hand in a genetically-modified version of L-Tryptophan reaching the market.
  • The subsequent deaths and health issues quickly following.
  • The FDA’s hasty and unnecessary market removal of ALL L-Tryptophan supplements (not just the genetically-modified product).
  • The FDA’s position that “this proves why we need to regulate natural products.”
  • The FDA’s “no comment” position on why problems were traced only to the genetically-modified product.
  • The FDA’s subsequent approval of natural (unmodified) L-Tryptophan in PATENTED (corporate) drugs.
  • The FDA’s liberal process regarding (and the approval of) genetically-modified products.

It’s a lot of material, and can be dry, but for those interested or curious, I would definitely recommend it. It sheds some light on other issues as well.

www.ceri.com...
www.aquarianonline.com...
www.netlink.de...
www.biointegrity.org...

And yes, I admit upfront I have some serious issues with the FDA – not because someone told me I should – but because of research I’ve done relative to natural medicine, alternative therapies, etc. over the years (independent of the media or political media).

I believe the FDA has a purpose, but like much in our country, the intended purpose has given way to corporate interest. Not everyone agrees, and I respect that, but I believe our medical system is run by the pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

I have tried to keep up with related issues, especially ones that threaten FDA control of natural products. FDA control is an ongoing, under-the-radar battle - if they do gain control, it will likely be because of something passed during a related - or unrelated - "time of crisis,” as that’s how most things the public wouldn't agree with otherwise come into law. If the general public were more aware of the issues, there would be less likelihood of this happening.

Regardless of one’s opinion on this, it would be hard to disagree with the following: If citizens’ interest is health, and the corporations’ interest is profit, and the corporations have the money, lobbyists and “retired” representatives to serve on the FDA board - there is clearly potential for problems. This is not partisan in any way.

As always, do your own research before drawing (or jumping to) conclusions.

[edit on 8/12/10 by sjrily]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sjrily

Thanks for the post; the FDA has a lot to account for. Their stance of substantial equivalence is a joke, they are rubber stamping approvals because a GMO (genetically modified organism looks the same as the original)

I’ve been yelling the question “what is the increase in the attempted gene transfer rates, of naturally occurring bacteria, given the presence of a GMO’. I have yet to hear an answer.
There has been a real push in grants for bacteria research though.

Good luck with the research

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

No doubt! ‘Course the whole idea behind “substantial equivalence” is to allow the rubber-stamping - the claim being that the research/testing required for “regular” new foods takes too long and costs too much, making it unprofitable for the private sector.
So, when it comes to GM products, fagettabout the hassle required for health and safety’s sake, and get that stuff on the market making money! YET – the FDA has been pushing for years to gain control of natural supplements, vitamins, herbs, etc. and impose restrictions and requirements that will financially destroy smaller, private companies. Only Big Pharma will be able to jump through the hoops. I could be wrong, but that seems a little contradictory to me.

It’s interesting you mention GMO and gene transfer rates – also yesterday I ordered a book by Dr. Mae-Wan Ho after reading some of her work. Several papers discussed exactly this (though admittedly, I didn’t fully read all of them). Here’s a link to one I did finish:
www.i-sis.org.uk...
(Originally posted wrong link, but I'll leave it below, FYI)
www.i-sis.org.uk...

And here’s a link to an index of selected works:
www.ratical.com...

I’m not sure how I got from L-Tryptophan to there - I think it was via another sidetrack on Monsanto, GM alfalfa and the recent Supreme Court ruling. Man, I hate when my brain is an Etchesketch…which is most of the time

edit to include correct link

[edit on 8/12/10 by sjrily]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
All institutions are managing their business solely on budget.

FDA approves those that fund their continuation.

Basically Raw or Raw Vegan are the best options you have if you live in the UK or US.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm going to wake this thread again...thank you for calling attention to a very important subject out there.

At ATS conspiracey proof reigns King...so prove or disprove that it is NOT only in the political field, but at a cellular level that TPTB can and will do whatever it takes to bring down the Human Race.

Everything that we use as a medication, eat, drink, consume in any manner shape or form can be traced back to the same sources with the same agenda. Reduce a selected group of the human population.

So give it a go! What do y'all have to say?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm going to bump this for a reason. People, look at the general meaning behind this if you can and see how it affects us. It is just more evidence of loss of freedoms and rights, and just as important as all the political and UFO discussions out there.

thanks

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Thanks, Holly!

It’s definitely a narrow topic of interest, but I believe it is important for people to at least try to get through some of it. What went on here can be applied to so many different things – it shows the issues with GM products, how the FDA operates, how we’re misled, etc.

top topics

join