It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me sunshine: David Cameron considers double summertime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Give me sunshine: David Cameron considers double summertime

www.telegraph.co.uk...

David Cameron once declared: "Let sunshine win the day." Putting those words into action today, he agreed to consider plans to move Britain’s clocks forward by an hour, giving the country permanent summertime.

Venturing into one of the longest-running and most contentious debates in British politics, the Prime Minister promised to look at “double summertime” proposals due to be debated in the Commons later this year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
'Alternatively, the British time zone could be permanently brought forward in both winter and summer, putting the country in the same time zone as most of continental Europe.'

Sign me up! Ok so I didn't even think this was possible for some reason

So apparently the plan, as always, has economic motivations at it's heart. Altering the time zones will apparently boost tourism for the UK. However the majority of Scotland is opposed as this would result in much darker mornings. This is probably only exacerbated by the fact that the Conservatives are very weak in Scotland!

However, Mr Cameron insisted that any change in summer time rules would have to be enacted in all parts of Britain. “We are a United Kingdom. I want us to have a united time zone,” he said.

So don't get your hopes up just yet, the whole of the UK needs to agree on the proposal before it moves forward.

I would particularly like to hear Scottish members ideas on the proposal too!

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7941189/Give-me-sunshine-David-Cameron-considers-double-summertime.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I wouldnt mind this.

I used to get out of college at 4pm to pitch blackness in the winter and an extra hour of light sounds pretty good.

And whats the implications for the fact that GMT is how people over the world relate time differences? Just thinking out loud here..

[edit on 12/8/10 by niblo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by niblo

I remember those days, now for about half the year its dark when I get back from work!

Not sure of the complications worldwide I suppose they would just alter it accordingly as they do for the 'Spring Forward' and 'Fall Back.' There has been talk recently though of the Mecca time replacing GMT in the future, although I will admit I haven't read around the subject, there was a thread on here the other day.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here's a link to that thread;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It would appear that the Mecca clock is more of a boast, and the suggestion is that it should replace GMT due to the site being located at 'the true centre of the Earth.'

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
You're going to feel pretty silly walking around in T-Shirts and shorts in the snow .
But I understand the benifits of the extra daylight .

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

True for anytime of the year in the UK

South facing properties are going to skyrocket!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I remmember part of the argument of this.

One of the 'plus' points where that it would be lighter early in the morning, so when kids go to school it'll be easier for motorists to see them and safer....

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If I remember it correctly, we already did that here in Portugal, and the next year we returned to the "normal" time, it was not worth it.

PS: Portugal is in the same time zone as the UK, for those that do not know that.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I didn't actually know that! I suspect it might be a little more beneficial here only because we are further from the equator. But like the British weather we may change our minds!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Am Scottish. I don't really mind what they do, but I had to laugh at the fact that we Scottish will dislike it more because it is a Tory thing, haha! That is very true!

The report says no sunrise in Scotland till 10am in winter, which is a bit worrying. I think I prefer my sunshine (hollow laugh) earlier rather than later when it comes to winter, but I'm not too bothered if they change it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I hope they dont do this, I like dark evenings. It feels right when it's getting dark around 5.30-6.00pm.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Can't they just leave the pissing time alone it frustrates me move an hour forward then an hour backwards 6 months later than an hour forward and so on. Especially day's your working late and forget that time's been changed and get into work an hour late then get called a dozzy f'k.

top topics

join