It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Judge: OK to extract confessions by threatening rape

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

US Judge: OK to extract confessions by threatening rape

rawstory.com

In one of the first military commissions held under the Obama administration, a US military judge has ruled that confessions obtained by threatening the subject with rape are admissible in court.

The case involves Omar Ahmed Khadr, a citizen of Canada who was apprehended in Afghanistan when he was 15 years old and has remained in Guantanamo Bay for the last seven years awaiting trial for terrorism and war crimes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+26 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Threatening a 15yr old with anal (since it's a guy) or other 'kind' of rape to extract confession is now okay as per a US judge in trial of a Gitmo detainee. This is a perfect example for violation of Geneva convention and shaming of the judiciary process and a nation.

What has the legal system come to. Since when is it permissible to "extract truth" by threatening to sexually violate someone?

Threats by cops are bad, but this really is far worse; it's a kid, being held in a secret military prison being interrogated by another country. He has no idea what could really happen to him. Terrorizing a child with rape...can you imagine it? What if it was your kid held by a different country in some black site and threatened with rape to extract confession!! Simply appalling ruling by this kangaroo court.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to add the direct link to article is not opening for some people you can read the cached page of the article
here

[edit on 12-8-2010 by name pending]

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
In what way isn't this torture ?

Psychological torture can be every bit as painful as the physical stuff.

There's also the logical problem that all torture entails, in that the subject may confess to anything due to wanting to avoid the explicit action threatened.

What is wrong with some of these judges ?

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by name pending

The poor guy probably knew of the rapes which occurred in Iraq, we have all seen those pictures of US soldiers posing.

Horrible, I wouldn't know what to do if I was in that situation to be honest.

You can't fight, you can't run, you can't defend yourself, you can't tell the truth, you can't lie, you can't kill yourself.

You are practically left hopeless, and now that he has a small hope rising, they are gonna take that away also.

This is the time when I think that some people actually deserves eternal hell.

To tell you the truth, when I was a kid I always prayed to GOD and in my prayer, prayed that no one goes to hell eternally.

Ignorance is a bless, I want my innocence back,

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Who again is the head of the military?

Just need to get that clarified a little bit.

Oh, and here is a sweet walk on memory lane for the partisan hacks.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I thought threatening rape on terrorists had already been addressed. It was big news many years ago, although never mentioned much by the MSM. Bush authorized threatening rape of terrorists to coerce confessions and some of those terrorists were teenagers, women and children. These were called "enhanced interrogation techniques." Although the media spun the story like normal and refused to show the public photo's of actual anal and sexual exploitation of the alleged terrorists under national security guidelines. Then the "support our troops" was pushed out onto the population, lies covered up, and heroes made out of the torturers for doing their jobs to keep us all safe.

A judge should never allow a confession under threat of duress. It is against every law in the United States and resolutions passed by international groups protecting human rights. In fact our own congress in America passed laws prohibiting this activity, but then authorized the executive branch unabridged power to do whatever was necessary to keep the country safe. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

While I support the war, and I support 99.9% of the troops, I feel we HAVE to maintain the moral high ground! Our pretext for the war was a human rights pretext. Our pretext for policing the world is a human rights pretext. Why on earth would we not pay the utmost attention to the treatment of our captives? It is imperative that we spread the same "inalienable, self-evident" rights to our enemies that we assign to ourselves. Anything less is abhorrant and counter-productive!

Does this now become constitutional within the US? Is it ok to threaten a rape suspect with rape? Is it ok to threaten a robbery suspect with rape? What if they don't believe the threat? Is it then ok to do it just a little to prove your point? Of course you won't 'actually' rape them, but maybe give em a little poke so they know you are serious?

This is absolutely ridiculous, and this negates any good that our troops, contractors, and volunteers over there are doing. If we don't extend basic human rights to every living person, then we have no basis for using force in the name of liberation.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Our pretext for policing the world is a human rights pretext. Why on earth would we not pay the utmost attention to the treatment of our captives?

Do you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe these pretexts are nothing but*SNIP*
That maybe, just maybe they are praying on people like you to buy that *snip* pretext and swallow it and then support the aggressive, oppressive, materialistic wars they are fighting.

Ofcurse they are hiding something, you have to be [snip] naive not to see that.

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Thu Aug 12 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyrannyispeace

I think you have posted in a wrong thread. This discussion is about a kangaroo court ruling of threatening sexual violence against a minor. Please read the OP before commenting.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Link doesnt' work for me and I would like to read the article
is it only me?
Thx

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

A military TRIBUNAL is under the PURVIEW of the Executive Branch of government. PERIOD.

The fact that OBAMA is the head of said Branch is very relevant.

He is furthering the DESTRUCTION of this country by taking us down the SAME road.

Or am I wrong.

Did you read the article and the comments of the VERY link you provided?

Sorry, comment was VERY relevant to the discussion on a MILITARY COURT that the OBAMA administration has decided to use.

Don't like where the POWER is derived from in the US military, you should have AT LEAST read the comments to the article YOU POSTED.

Sometimes, the COMMENTS to an article are more important than the article.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyrannyispeace

I don't want to get in partisan bickering but let me reply to your rhetorical post the events (i.e. threatened rape/torture) in question took place during the Bush administration.

Another thing it was Congress & Senate that blocked US Administration attempt to close down Gitmo.

reply to post by ModernAcademia

The website was working fine for me few mins ago but not now. It's showing error, wait for sometime and try again.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by name pending]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Our pretext for policing the world is a human rights pretext. Why on earth would we not pay the utmost attention to the treatment of our captives?

Do you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe these pretexts are nothing but Bull$$$#$%#^ %$#%@ 65$^%$?

That maybe, just maybe they are praying on people like you to buy that #$%$#@# $%^#@$ pretext and swallow it and then support the aggressive, oppressive, materialistic wars they are fighting.

Ofcurse they are hiding something, you have to be #$%$#%^ naive not to see that.

well said. people do horrid things, make threats, and twist words in order to manipulate the masses. through fear they can manipulate and control.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Since the article is not opening now you can read the cached page of the article
here

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ickylevel
Mod Edit
thats a horrid idea. why even post *Snip* like that

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/12/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I have to agree with you, I am not to fond of Gitmo, I think we should release them back into the wild. ( Afghan ) and bring our troops home enough is enough.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Do you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe these pretexts are nothing but Bull$$$#$%#^ %$#%@ 65$^%$?

Doesnt matter wether those pretexts are BS or not. They have been repeated so often, and keep getting repeated, without a trace of doubt, that every naive person in America will, per default, assume them to be true, and will have to be convinced, they are not.
Getreadyalready just points out the discrepancy between pretext and reality and you attack him for mentioning the pretexts? Get some mind behind your anger, before you just blast away on people, who are by logic of their arguments, on your side of the fence.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Sorry, I was NOT being partisan. Equal opportunity hate of both communist parties.

We are either at WAR, declared, or we are NOT.

As another stated, let them go back to the wild and get our damn country out of everyone else's business.

Let the freaks kill themselves. Enough of the globalization efforts. NOW.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ok hypothetical situation here what if you were being interogated and threatened with rape, and you said "go for it!"

Would you actually be raped? Or is it an idle threat?

If you haven't seen it yet I suggest everyone to watch 'Hunger' a film about the incarceration of Bobby Sands. The scene in Long Kesh prison is truly brutal and yet apparently factually accurate. The British security forces have done the same in the past. I doubt they still do treat prisoners like this, but then you read stories like the OP...

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join