It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long, hot summer of fire, floods fits predictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Long, hot summer of fire, floods fits predictions

NEW YORK – Floods, fires, melting ice and feverish heat: From smoke-choked Moscow to water-soaked Pakistan and the High Arctic, the planet seems to be having a midsummer breakdown. It's not just a portent of things to come, scientists say, but a sign of troubling climate change already under way.

news.yahoo.com...

Seems like the symptoms are getting worse, and Congress and other world governments are too clusterf***ed to do any thing about it.

They are all gridlocked, worried about money.

But how much is it going to cost to help the 6 million displaced in Pakistan? Or the price of wheat jumping due to the fires in Russia. To be sure, most of the money will be coming from the US and IMF.

These politicians dont seem to understand the ramifications of Global Warming, and the cost that will be a burden to Western countries. It would be cheaper to CAP carbon emissions (forget trading, JUST CAP!!).

But historically have a reactionary government, not proactive. We will wait until the situation is dire, save a few billion now, and pay several trillion later. Maybe lose a country or two to rising sea levels.

As long as they are re-elected, they can pass on the costs to the coming generation.

Until then, enjoy the warm weather!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

Well we have just gone (still going through) our driest, coldest winter for 90 odd years. Just because its wwarm in one part of the world, does not indicate man made global warming.

I do agree that it would be beneficial to reduce such emissions, but to claim that man made global warming is the complete cause isnt really a sure fact

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Thank you I am enjoying my hot summer.

We had a very cold winter last year.It reminded me of days gone by.
It was a winter like I remember in my childhood.

This summer has been hot but I remember much hotter summers many years ago.

I had been concerned with our warm winters and cooler summers but all seems back to normal in my part of the world.

We need the right weather for our Georgia peaches and to help keep the mosquito infestation down. And we got just what we needed.

All is back to normal. Hopefully we'll have another good cold winter.

Oh and our sandy beaches are packed daily with tourist. I love those Canadians and Yankees. They come with cash in the hand. LOL

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Global Warming does not portend only hot weather.

It brings more EXTREMES to the norm. This could be hotter, wetter or even colder with more snow.

It was predicted this would happen with supercomputer modeling, and now we have actual events that parallel these predictions.

There are no arguments (on a government level) on the cause of climate change. The overwhelming consensus is that we are.

The sad part is, our government(s) have this information, and the power to do something about it. But they just dicker away the opportunity to something, debating the cost.

In my opinion, the cost of doing NOTHING is higher than becoming proactive and actually passing legislation to do SOMETHING about it.

We did this with CFC's (there was probably much debate about this also, but it is working), we can do it with carbon.

We cannot be afraid.

We have to discard the mentality of fear, and become responsible stewards of this planet.

People before profits.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
We have to discard the mentality of fear, and become responsible stewards of this planet.

Oh the irony. You make a post containing the typical hysterics of the global warming crowd quoting the mostly debunked claims about "man made global warming"...

and then say that we have to "discard the mentality of fear". Is it OK to fear monger when it suits your cause?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Mother Nature is not going to like having her named changed to Global Warming
She is only going through Hot Flashes.
I guess Al Gore called his wife a ....... when she went through Hot Flashes also!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Fear mongering is something like 'The world is going to end if we dont do anything!!!!!'.

I didn't see that in my post, did you?

We don't need fear, but we don't need ignorance either.

Lets go with FACTS (straight from the article) by Nobel Prize winning scientist. They would know more than you or I, don't you think?

The U.N.'s network of climate scientists — the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) — has long predicted that rising global temperatures would produce more frequent and intense heat waves, and more intense rainfalls. In its latest assessment, in 2007, the Nobel Prize-winning panel went beyond that. It said these trends "have already been observed," in an increase in heat waves since 1950, for example.

So, the trends predicted in 2007 "have already been observed". Fact, not fear or denial.

Stott and NASA's Gavin Schmidt, at the Goddard Institute of Space Studies in New York, said it's better to think in terms of odds: Warming might double the chances for heat waves, for example. "That is exactly what's happening," Schmidt said, "a lot more warm extremes and less cold extremes."

More weather extremes, fact not fear.

We have to face up to the facts.

In fact, in key cases they're a perfect fit:
RUSSIA It's been the hottest summer ever recorded in Russia, with Moscow temperatures topping 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees C) for the first time. Russia's drought has sparked hundreds of wildfires in forests and dried peat bogs, blanketing Moscow with a toxic smog that finally lifted Thursday after six days. The Russian capital's death rate doubled to 700 people a day at one point. The drought reduced the wheat harvest by more than one-third. The 2007 IPCC report predicted a doubling of disastrous droughts in Russia this century and cited studies foreseeing catastrophic fires during dry years. It also said Russia would suffer large crop losses.

PAKISTAN The heaviest monsoon rains on record — 12 inches (300 millimeters) in one 36-hour period — have sent rivers rampaging over huge swaths of countryside, flooding thousands of villages. It has left 14 million Pakistanis homeless or otherwise affected, and killed 1,500. The government calls it the worst natural disaster in the nation's history. A warmer atmosphere can hold — and discharge — more water. The 2007 IPCC report said rains have grown heavier for 40 years over north Pakistan and predicted greater flooding this century in south Asia's monsoon region.

CHINA China is witnessing its worst floods in decades, the WMO says, particularly in the northwest province of Gansu. There, floods and landslides last weekend killed at least 1,100 people and left more than 600 missing, feared swept away or buried beneath mud and debris. The IPCC reported in 2007 that rains had increased in northwest China by up to 33 percent since 1961, and floods nationwide had increased sevenfold since the 1950s. It predicted still more frequent flooding this century.

UNITED STATES In Iowa, soaked by its wettest 36-month period in 127 years of recordkeeping, floodwaters from three nights of rain this week forced hundreds from their homes and killed a 16-year-old girl. The international climate panel projected increased U.S. precipitation this century — except for the Southwest — and more extreme rain events causing flooding.

ARCTIC Researchers last week spotted a 100-square-mile (260-square-kilometer) chunk of ice calved off from the great Petermann Glacier in Greenland's far northwest. It was the most massive ice island to break away in the Arctic in a half-century of observation. The huge iceberg appeared just five months after an international scientific team published a report saying ice loss from the Greenland ice sheet is expanding up its northwest coast from the south. Changes in the ice sheet "are happening fast, and we are definitely losing more ice mass than we had anticipated," said one of the scientists, NASA's Isabella Velicogna. In the Arctic Ocean itself, the summer melt of the vast ice cap has reached unprecedented proportions in recent years. Satellite data show the ocean area covered by ice last month was the second-lowest ever recorded for July.

I don't know about you, but I form my opinion on the available facts.

Do you have any FACTS that dispute these findings?

I am not trying to spread fear, on the contrary, knowledge is power.

The world is not going to end because of Global Warming caused by humans. The Earth will continue to spin around the Sun long after we are all dead and gone.

Nor do I think it will be the end of the Human race.

But the expense (in riches and blood) and suffering of doing nothing, when we have the power to do so, is inexcusable. The gains from doing things more efficiently are enough reason take action.

Put the fear away (the Oh My God they are going to tax us to oblivion!). Base your opinions on FACTS.

Don't be such a Republican.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by ErEhWoN]

top topics

join