It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't take it anymore, my story with identity theft

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
perhaps you should resort to more..pursuaisive..stuffy stuff.
complaining to the local autorities will usualy live you ignored as theyr busy eating dognuts..and incompetent...and im not talking about the cops.
seems as anyone you have contacted ignores you.
so try to get a favor for a favor from someone in power,maybe bribe them,or black mail them,sometimes people need to learn the hard way.
you have some friend who has connections to laws or something?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaxxon
This isn't just a civil matter. Have you called the police? Since it extends into another state you should also file a report to the FBI and I don't mean go online and fill out a form. I mean call them. They have a special division for this if I remember right.

I have called the police in the past and filled out tons of forms incl the FBI form for identity theft.

The worst part was trying to prove to the reporting agencies that he in-fact did not buy a house when he was 3 years old.

This is the problem...proving I didn't buy any of this stuff when all my information is being used. It';s even harder to fight identity theft when it's in another state.

I have never called the FBI just did the paper work I was told to do.

I have read it is very difficult to get this stuff straightened out..

It just shows that credit agencies do not take proper procedures when giving out credit.

Anything where credit is involved should be harder to get over your license. It is easier for people to get a credit card in this country over a driver's license or state ID. I had to jump through hoops to prove who I was to get an ID, the same should be done for credit! I bet if companies were stricter on this, it wouldn't happen as often as it does.

[edit on 8/12/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

reply to post by mblahnikluver

Why in the world haven't you went to your local SSA and had them issue you a new SSN if this person is using your's?? Doing so invalidates your old number as well...

I didn't even know you could do that? Then again why should I have to do this? Why should I have to change my SS# I was given at birth and someone suggested via u2u I change my name.

If I changed my SS# what would that do? Would that help? I am asking because I honestly don't know.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

So you have a police report? That's all it takes to the credit reporting agencies lock your credit so it can't be used by anyone.

Also changing your SSN at your local SSA should essentially reset your credit to zero because you now have a new number. You should still lock your credit report now though.

You should also ask a lawyer for help. As bad as a rep. that they have I'm sure someone will work for you within a budget, plus litigating the person and suing them for what they do have.

Yes I've read that it is difficult to clear this up, however there are things that you can be doing right now. The companies themselves aren't going to do anything on your behalf either, so I wouldn't even bother.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

So you have a police report? That's all it takes to the credit reporting agencies lock your credit so it can't be used by anyone.

Also changing your SSN at your local SSA should essentially reset your credit to zero because you now have a new number. You should still lock your credit report now though.

You should also ask a lawyer for help. As bad as a rep. that they have I'm sure someone will work for you within a budget, plus litigating the person and suing them for what they do have.

Yes I've read that it is difficult to clear this up, however there are things that you can be doing right now. The companies themselves aren't going to do anything on your behalf either, so I wouldn't even bother.

I was told to put a lock on it years ago and there is one but somehow this person is able to get around it. It is a pain for me to apply for credit. I have to show everything that proves it's me. I can't just go to WalMart and apply for a card, my credit comes up as flagged. I know this because when I bought my car they showed me what is says on my account when my SS# is used to get credit. So this person must have some kind of charm or again the companies they are going to don't care. I haven't done anything with it in a while because it hadn't come up again until my sister mentioned the person who contacted her. Things are quite different than when this all started so maybe this time around I will get something out of it.

I do have a customer who is lawyer and I am sure I can work something out with him. I don't really get personal with customers but this person I trust and I think he could help me if not direct me to someone who could.

I just want to be able to buy a house when I get married one day and not have problems still after so many years. I honestly just gave up at one point because it was so frustrating and i didn't have the money or resources to do anything. Nobody contacted me and if they did it was an auto reply and a form to fill out..I felt like a number...

Thanks for the replies and help.

I never knew you could change your social security number. It would be a pain but in the end I think it would be worth it. I just hate having to change who I am even if it's a simple as a SS# just because someone else is breaking the law.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Changing your SS# is about the only thing you can do legally. From past experience trying to get the credit companies to do anything is imposable because they do not care whose information is whose as long as they make their money. Lawyers will just take your money.
The only way I got some of mine sorted out was to talk to one of the companies and ask them to explain how I could be living in two states at the same time working two jobs and paying two sets of bills. They got very upset and asked if I was being sarcastic, to which I replied If you had the brain of a moron simple logic tells you there was a issue in the record and would be easy to find which was fact because if you never had a job or lived in a state why would you be buying stuff there? I offered pay stubs to prove where I lived and worked and told them either fix it or be sued. They decided to fix it for some strange reason.
I also used to use ancestry but never had a problem because I was careful what information I put there. Finding the person using your name and SS is easy to do and you can have all sorts of fun messing with them. U2U me if you would like some suggestions I have used in the past.
But main thing to learn is never put to much info where others can see it and lie wherever possible to cause more issues.
GL and keep in mind the people from Mexico who sneak here are only here to be good citizens no matter how many laws they break and how often.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I don't want to sound sarcastic because I too have had my credit sabotaged by my own family.

I have always been debt-free since the early 90's but, during a very weak moment I looked at a brand new truck. When my credit report was pulled I was shocked at what I saw, my parents had been using my credit attached to their purchases. LOL For years.

I knew my parents never had much, and I knew they lived from check to check most times, but it never occurred to me why they drove a brand new car every year and how they were able to do renovations, trips to Vegas, you name it these poor people have been living well. LOL Here I always thought they were creative! They were!

At any rate, I thank them from the bottom of my heart; I didn't want the new truck and I am not sure what kind of demon possessed me to think of one. I confronted my Mom and she defended my Dad and it went around and around and ultimately I was the nut-job as usual (crooks sort of do that, they turn the tables).

I am certain when these two people die any debt will be paid out by their estate, anything left over will be on me! Big Whoop! LOL Who cares? Really I don't care, because I have the foresight to see the future. Banks, Credit, Lending, all of those things will become obsolete and really fast.

Here is my advice to the OP, go to the hometown of that individual, walk into DPS (Department of Public Safety) submit for a new Driver's License (about $16 in Texas), say you lost it, submit her address. They process the IDs there in person where I am so I can only imagine they can there too, especially if you use an "Express" office. Then once you have your new ID, go start running red lights all over town. Look for those that have the
camera stations, just cause all kinds of trouble. Speed in front of officers, and just apologize and take your tickets. Then with massive tickets in hand go to her door and introduce yourself. Tell her to her face that you will ruin her life for eternity, and as a down payment here are all her tickets! LOL

She will wind up in Jail and as she is there she will try to prove who she really is instead; this is when you get her, because then you will know her real name and her real identity. To be honest, she is an American, because Americans are the biggest crooks in America. If she is Mexican, then she has proven herself to be quite American!

As for the tickets, well I would just never show up in that town again; but then again, it might mean to stay out of Texas entirely (which isn't a bad thing either).

There, I managed to bash the OP, Americans, and Texans all in one post. My parents don't count because they live in Texas too! LOL

I would just say No to Credit. The fact that anything can be reported but it seems nothing can be removed is the Industry playing us as fools. Now is the time to release yourself of this pain and this burden because before long everyone's Credit will be Bad!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Have you considred contacting a private investigator (cheaper than a lawyer) gather the evidence against the person and also FIND the person - then contact Law Enforcement?

I worked for a PI Firm and we handled cases like this all the time. Most of our clients were lawyers. It can be done. If you call a lawyer - more than likely they will hire a PI and charge you much more for it than if you called a PI yourself - THEN contacted a lawyer with all the info the PI found.

Regarding changing your SSN.. It is a simple process (the paperwork) but im not sure how easy it is to make happen.

Another thing (this is to everyone) Do not put personal information about yourself online. I work hard to make sure that if anyone searches my first/last name - nothing comes up. My username anywhere does not link to my actual identity. I run searches on myself all the time. So if you do change your SSN, do not leave any traces of yourself anywhere. Your username here - do not use anywhere else. And so on.

Even if you go this route - you still need to have this person caught and prosecuted.

Best of luck.

[edit on August 12th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Truly I feel for you. I get mad just reading your posts. The sad part is that from what I read it normally costs a person about $10000 to clear everything up and your credit is still wrecked.

I think I'd just move to her county, get a deed to her house, because it would be mine. Call the Sherif to evict her (she isn't on a lease, so she is trespassing, this wouldn't be a civil matter requiring a court order).

I'd then sell her house and use the money for a nice down payment on a house that I want.

I doubt she'd keep using your info. after that.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Wow your parents!

Thanks for the laugh towards the end on what to do. I can't afford to go to Texas right now and if I could I would. I will try some of the other suggestions members have given me. I am online right now sending out various emails with my situation. I also have a free credit report coming my way from all agencies.. I applied for a card and was denied which automatically gives me a free credit report from all agencies.

IMO people should be allowed FREE access to their credit reports. I shouldnt have to sign up for anything. If I want a copy I should be allowed to request one whenever I want, it is MY credit isn't it? It's what everything in this country seems to be based on, what you have credit wise. Jobs even check credit now, do you have any idea how that hurts me when looking for a job? I have applied at various banks which I am qualified for since I have worked as a teller previously but they won't even look at me cause of my credit. According to them I am a "risk," they dont say it exactly like that but I know what they are getting at. I haven't had a credit card in over 10 years. If I don't have cash I don't buy it. I don't need it if I have to pay with plastic. This is just me but it was how I was raised. The only things I have financed recently are cars and the last one I had to do a buy here pay here because I couldn't get financed at a local dealership. When they tell me I have too much credit I say no the woman in TX has too much I have none.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hopefully this time around something will get done. Maybe the years that have passed helped? Who knows, but hopefully I will hear back from someone..

I have contacted the credit bureaus, all three of them. Are there any others I am not aware of?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I never contacted a PI because I can't afford it but my lawyer friend might be able to help me. I am waiting on his reply from the email I sent him. I never brought any of this up because I don't discuss my personal life with customers at work but like I said he is someone I can trust so we shall see what happens.

I looked into changing my SS# after another member mentioned it and it looks like the problems I could have the rest of my life are worse than what I deal with now. I don't want problems with passports and things like that when I have no BC for the new SS#. I am still looking into it but it will inconvenience me even more but it could also catch this person.

I make sure all my emails and contact info doesn't have my name connected to it. I did however have it connected via ancestry.com because I thought it was safe, guess I was wrong.

I wish I know how this person found my information on there. I wonder what they searched and how and why they picked MY name and information. I have never even been to TX lol.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
duplicate

[edit on 8/12/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaxxon

LOL yeah that would be ideal.

The cost is one thing people don't realize when it comes to proving this and getting it fixed. It all cost money, money I don't have. I read once online it took a women 10 years and almost 20k to get hers straightened out and even now it follows her.

Personally I think it's these credit places faults for all identity theft, they make it to easy to open a line of credit. I got credit card offers before I was 18 in the mail! I use to open credit cards for people and all they had to do was call in with a SS#, DL # and their address and bam instant credit cards. We took references but those people are never called to verify employment or relationship to the person applying. They only call these people when you default. It shouldn't be that easy to get credit!

I was at Target recently and my friends mom applied in the store for a CC thru Target. It was ALL done via the debit keypad. She entered her info and swiped her ID, the cashier didn't even check it, and she instantly got a temp card with a limit of 500 bucks. It shouldn't be this easy! I was completely shocked at this new method of applying for credit.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I feel bad for you that your identity was stolen.

But I am annoyed at you immediately blaming it on an "ILLEGAL". What do you think that gains you? Sympathy? Support? What? Would it matter if it was an American citizen that did it?

And then you continue to say that "she is spanish"...is she from Spain...is that what you are trying to say? How do you know this information? Or are you equating the language you ASSUME she speaks based off the color of her skin to her race?

"She looks spanish" and "lives near the border" does not equal ILLEGAL. And further more, it doesn't matter if she is or not...what she did to you was ILLEGAL...so what is your angle in stating within the first 7 words of your post that it was an ILLEGAL that stole your identity???

What is your agenda? Would it make you feel better if she wasn't ILLEGAL...or do you take some sort of twisted comfort in making yourself believe that you are a victim of the latest propaganda buzzword?

My suggestion to you...worry about fixing YOUR credit and your life...don't worry about the criminals resident status that stole your identity.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If it was me I would have filed Bankruptcy and the other party would have been Bankrupt also.
It would be great to see the look on their face when you give up the home, vehicles and all credit cards they were using in your name.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
If it was me I would have filed Bankruptcy and the other party would have been Bankrupt also.
It would be great to see the look on their face when you give up the home, vehicles and all credit cards they were using in your name.
Declaring bankruptcy is expensive (ironic isn't it?). Besides they can't take your house or your primary car very easily I don't think. He probably wouldn't get protected bankruptcy either.

With all of the things the government throws money at, you'd think that there'd be a nice free and public agency that would help someone through all of this.

I wonder if he could sue every company that continued to give credit once his report was locked, because they didn't check.

And if law enforcement knows where this person is or can track them then why don't they do something? If it is just the police, they could at least try working wiith local law enforcement in Texas. This is America and I'd be upset, so I would probably sue them too. Just sue until I'm rich enough not to worry about my credit report haha.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Kill her and claim it as a botched suiicide attempt.

Yes I am being sarcastic.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Simple method is to cancel all and any financial status you may have.

In plain English

Use only Cash for Everything and Anything.

If and when he/she attempts any online transaction then its flagged.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I guess the grey area can't be about identity theft? I thought the grey area was for personal experiences??

Yeah I guess I should have claimed to be the messiah or have contact with aliens or even better claimed to be an alien.

This is not a rant, it's a personal story and you don't have to have proof in the grey area. I was going to post links about credit cards and identity theft but apparently someone didn't like my thread. Sorry but the credit card industry is a huge scam and now my story has been treated like a rant...just like how they seem to treat me when I try and fix the situation.

Close this thread because I do NOT want it in the rant section. It cheapens my experience and it offends me.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I too have been the victim of ID theft. When I was living in Arizona I found out that I suddenly had the entirety of my lifes work wiped out in 4 days.

That was over $300,000.00 USD! I went to buy groceries and the debit card that I had was rejected. Needless to say I immediately went to the local branch of my bank, (just across the parking lot from my store) to find out WTF. I was told that my account was overdrawn and that I had purchased 3 cars in the past 3 days, and a fourth just a few min. before I went into the bank. Funny thing is, I bought these cars in DELAWARE!!

Could someone please tell me how I could get from a Mercedies dealer in Delaware to a bank outside of Tucson AZ, in ten minutes? The bank president sure couldn't, but he said that I must of done it since it was my debit card that was used in the purchases.

I didn't get anywhere with the local law, the state law in either AZ or DE, or the FBI (I went into their field office in Tucson to file the report.) That was over 2 years ago, and I still have no resolution to my case. (or my $300.000+. The bank said they were not lible for the money since "I obviously bought the cars in Delaware, then somehow returned to AZ to file the claim.)

So I am out over a quarter of a mil, and some dirtbag in DE is riding around in 4 two year old Mercedies.

I have since cancled that account and switched banks, I also changed my SSN (and that is a pain in the ass) and I would sugest that you think that one over. When you switch your SSN over, not only do you loose everything that you have put into your SS Retirement Account, but your credit gets jacked up. (you dont have bad credit, it's worse, YOU HAVE NO CREDIT!! That is worse because when you go to use your "New" credit, the place will run it and see that there is a person who is obviously not 18, that has NEVER used credit before. And that throws up more red flags than bad credit. In my experience.

Good luck to you my dear. I hope that you nail that little witch.

I have found out who used my ID in DE and I am in the process of taking them to court and confiscating the cars. It is costing me a fortune though.

Good luck.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join