It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheat Price Rise May Ignite Global Food Riots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Here we go. It doesn't take much brain to connect the dots of future revolutions due to "bread riots". Look up history, search for the word in Google and you will find fascinating facts.

Rising grain prices from Russia's drought and fires will pressure populations already hit by the financial crisis and could stoke unrest — particularly in the Middle East, North Africa and parts of Europe. Winfried Rothermel / AP Wheat Fields Wheat prices have risen by nearly 70 percent since June after Russia suffered its worst drought in 130 years and are at their highest since 2008, when the last major food price rally sparked protests and riots in a string of emerging nations. Analysts warn that if prices stay high then the threat of street violence will increase — at least up to a point. "We could see some street riots but I wouldn't expect any governments to fall," said Jonathan Wood, global issues analyst for consultancy Control Risks. "On one level, we have much less of a problem than in 2008 because we have better food stocks. On the other hand, because of the financial crisis many countries are not in such a good position financially to deal with it."

SOURCE

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Next the speculaters will get on board and drive the price right through the roof, and then they will complain about the cost of bread...
Are countries still paying farmers not to grow food...?
Oh yeah peak food.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The NWO's depopulation program is accelerating. With the flooding in India, Pakistan and China and the wildfires in Russia, that's four birds with one stone. I hate that I'm starting to think this way, but it sounds like they're pulling off their "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" approximation pretty damned good.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Next the speculaters will get on board and drive the price right through the roof, and then they will complain about the cost of bread...
Are countries still paying farmers not to grow food...?
Oh yeah peak food.

The vast majority of profitable speculation causes more stable prices. Only tactics that involve price manipuations or cornering a market are going to cause price spikes.

The point is you are blaming speculators when most price spikes like the 1970's oil spike was caused by government policy. Todays increasing prices in food are due to US Federal Reserve policy. Lets focus the blame where it lies: on the government, controlled in turn by the people, not on speculators.

People throw in these barbs towards speculators without understanding that the most common profitable speculation methods work only to reduce price swings, not increase them. The most common method of speculation is something you've likely heard of: "buy low, sell high". Buying low increases how low the price goes, and selling high reduces how high the price goes.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Wait till they start jacking around with
oil prices again.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The French Revolution began when bread prices became so high that no-one could afford it. So the fish mongers (these were some hard women very handy with knives) decided to march out to Versailles to have a little chat with the king.

Only this time millions will starve to death sitting in front of the television waiting for FEMA to come rescue them.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I almost posted a unique thread on this subject, and was in the process of doing some research on the topic, but I discovered your thread here Skittle so I will just post my thoughts here.

This is one of the most important subjects around, and we NEED to focus on it and develop Solutions to this CRISIS. And yes I will characterize this as a crisis, as the information available right now paints that very picture clearly.

As supply dwindles and demand raises globally, the prices of wheat will rise as well, potentially dealing a mortal blow to many countless poor people everywhere.

Not only wheat, but alternative grains like corn for instance are in jeopardy as well, because people will turn to these alternative grains as their access to wheat becomes more limited.

So what we are looking at is a future raise in the average price for wheat among many other foodstuffs. This is troubling and disturbing, and we NEED to get our brains in action finding solutions pronto.

And as TwoTechnics mentioned,

Wait till they start jacking around with oil prices again.
; this can quickly develop into a worldwide crisis of unprecedented proportions. All food's price is based on the price of oil, and if oil rises it will further cause a raise in the price of foodstuffs like wheat or alternative grains.

We are not talking years from now, but rather we are talking within the next year this snowball could get out of control.

If we do not solve this crisis within a few months, by addressing it globally and providing solutions/alternatives we are going to be facing riots/crime waves on a scale we are not used to seeing in our modern times.

I will be bringing this to the attention of as many people as I can, in hopes that perhaps someone will have some good ideas about how to deal with this situation.

Also, it may be a good idea to go out and buy some extra dry foods right now just in case. Nothing wrong with preparation.

If you can afford it, stock up with at least a years supply + if possible.
Thinks like oatmeal, dry noodles, cereals, etc; can last a very long time when stored correctly and by keeping the packaging sealed until you eat it.

I'll add more in a bit, got a RL issue at the moment.

BTW I am not trying to fear monger, I am merely stating what many people are already worried about. And I am asking for ATS to come up with solutions that are badly needed right now.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Only this time millions will starve to death sitting in front of the television waiting for FEMA to come rescue them.

this is exactly right. someone will get rich making an iphone app that let's people tell us they have fallen and cant get up.

new topics

top topics

join