It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George W. Bush makes surprise visit to U.S. troops

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I am glad, perhaps, maybe, your next lesson might be how to not hit the shift key randomly while you type.

It wasn't exactly "randomly". Join the letters and you find...

"ILLUIIMINATI PUPPETS" (yeah, it's misspelled, but the gist is there enough to show that it clearly wasn't just random
)

As far as the OP goes... I really don't feel it's worthy of a thread, and at least it's been moved to Political Madness where it belongs.

It's gonna take a LOT more than a few frivolous photo ops for Bush to atone for his misuse of presidential military command powers by sending our sons, daughters, fathers, bothers, sisters, and mothers into harms way, into a war of choice (not necessity); so that he and his ilk could make some extra cash.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teabags
One good slant deserves another:

www.politico.com...

OK, no slant.

Why would Bush be looking for a good PR stunt?

He has a book coming out.

Better?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
Here's the Facts for you about your Dear Leader Obama.
libertypundits.net...
From the Washington Post.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama scrubbed a visit to see wounded U.S. servicemen and -women in Germany because of concerns raised by the Pentagon that the stop at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center could be seen as a political event, according to Obama’s campaign.

Which is exactly what I have said at least twice now. My dear leader? Either you are not a US citizen and have no horse in this race or he is your leader too. I did not get to live as a sovereign person of my own country while Bush was president.

Right out of the box, there it is. Somebody might see it as a political event. If a U.S. Senator goes to the base by himself, with no cameras, by definition, it isn’t a political event

Right but as has been stated, he was not allowed to bring a camera crew with him either way. How do you reconcile these two contradictory explanations? Obviously if he was not allowed to bring a camera crew, then there was no reason for him to worry about it looking like a stunt because of anything on his part. So if he was warned it would look like a PR stunt because of photos he could not take...

Anyway, why is it that even in a thread about Bush, you people need to talk about Obama so much?

"Nobody denied Senator Obama the opportunity to visit our wounded being cared for at Landstuhl. Obviously, as a sitting senator, he has an interest in that and can certainly visit in an official capacity," said Bryan Whitman, a spokesman for the Pentagon, who added that there are "restrictions on what you can do as a candidate for political office, that stems from trying to maintain political neutrality and not have the military involved in politics."

I can print articles too. Unfortunately this thread is about Bush and HIS respect or lack thereof for the troops. Why do you all insist on bashing Obama instead of just discussing Bush?

YUP! Your man really Cares For The Troops. He has a strange way of showing it, Don't you even think that?

Well you left off quite a few details like his visit to Walter Reed but then that was not that highly publicized so maybe you missed it in one of your biased articles. Again, how does this show what respect Bush has for the troops he lied to and sent off to die?

I think he is like most of us has always thought, A Total Snip and a Lier and does not care about any one but himself.

Well a more ignorant sentence I am hard pressed to find here. "Lier" must be capitalized because it is a made up word?

www.nowpublic.com...
A Workout at the Ritz Instead of Meeting U.S. Troops? Bad Move, Senator Obama.
Obama Really Cares.
NOV. Can't Come Soon Enough!

You think Obama will be out of office in November do ya? Maybe you should start a thread on that.

What is wrong with all of you? In any thread about Obama, bring up Bush and you all attack like rabid dogs. Centurian's signature is all about how sick of "blame Bush" he is. Here in a thread about Bush, the same folks have to keep trying to attack Obama?

Too funny.

Good luck voting for president on November.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by black cat
post removed

You are right. I do not know the man. I have never said I hate him or any other such personal assessment but I agree with you. If you do not know someone personally, then you have no right to judge them so harshly on a personal level. Good for you. You get a star.

I'm happy to say that I don't know any of you in real life, because there is no way in hell I would ever again serve in a military

Oh, what is that? You have so much dislike for people you never met that you are happy to not protect the very country you live in just to let something bad happen to them?

Taking my star back.

mod edit, removal of deleted post

[edit on Fri Aug 13 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I got 28 years in the military and I think it is great that he does that.

You think it is great he lies about pretending to give up golf out of respect? What part of that do you like the most?

What do you have invested to have your attitude.... I'm thinking nothing but the attitude...

I am an American citizen, same as you.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/74abe171b8e2.jpg[/atsimg]

Bush: Hey partner, you just got home from risking your life, putting undue stress on your family, watching your friends die, watching your friends get blown up and live and possibly being put in situations where you had to fire upon woman and children all based on some lies I told. How do you feel?

Solider: Great, sir!

Bush: You betcha feel great. Hey, while you were going through all that I want you to know I was with you in spirit.

Soldier: That is great, sir!

Bush: Yeah, I am great. Hey! Remember when I quit golfing out of respect for the life destroying position I put you in?

Soldier: Yes, sir!

Bush: You know, I really did too. For a whole month and a half I did not play golf. What do you think about that?

Soldier: I think that is great, sir!

Bush: Have you met my wife? She killed her boyfriend when she was a kid.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by Adevoc Satanae]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
You think it is great he lies about pretending to give up golf out of respect? What part of that do you like the most?

Interesting that his "giving up golf for our troops" is receiving such praise in this thread. At the time, it certainly seemed that his action was more of a PR stunt to make up for the backlash he received after this infamous segway...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/478051c8b86f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87def7979804.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Please let me know if i understood this correctly:

Everything that happened under Bush was Clintons fault, because even though Bush was in Charge, the origin of the problems were Clintons decisions.

Everything that happens under Obama was Obamas fault, because even though the origin of the problems were Bushs decisions, he is in Charge.

Did I get this right?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I've gotta say, jibeho, you certainly are a puzzling one. There's quite the disconnect between Franklin's quote, in your signature, and the idea that you're here in support of a man whose administration wholeheartedly stood for everything that quote is against. I'm curious how you manage to reconcile that ideological dichotomy.

[edit on 8/13/10 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
He made the revelation about his golf game in 2008 towards the end of his term.

Bush referred to a moment in time that made him reconsider his golf game. All of dates associated with his decision have been applied by the media.

"I remember when de Mello, who was at the UN, got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life," Mr Bush said. "And I was playing golf, I think I was in central Texas, and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it's just not worth it anymore to do."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Call it what you all want. The premise of my OP was about his visit with the returning troops. I made one mention of him giving up golf in 2003,which he did, and all hell broke loose. After five years, perhaps Bush forgot about his now legendary October round of golf. He still gave up the game in 2003 through the rest of his tenure.

Sometimes presidents forget things. We even have a president who forgot which hospital he was born in...

Sure Bush sent troops to war, with full support of congress and the public. That is never an easy decision to make for any president. Lets see how things pan out for Obama.... if he has the guts to make a decision.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe66355e1e26.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 13-8-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
reply to post by jibeho

I've gotta say, jibeho, you certainly are a puzzling one. There's quite the disconnect between Franklin's quote, in your signature, and the idea that you're here in support of a man whose administration wholeheartedly stood for everything that quote is against. I'm curious how you manage to reconcile that ideological dichotomy.

I am in support of a president who carved out a brief moment to shake the hands of troops returning from WAR. Dont even try to attach your own interpretation to my beliefs. We are still at war.... I don't like the way these wars have played out. If we used a WWII strategy in our current wars, they would have ended years ago. War is a different game now.... we all know that!!! War has been a different game since we put boots down in Korea.

I STILL SUPPORT EACH AND EVERY SOLDIER.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Funny, I don't hear of *Obama* doing this, unless of course it is for votes. He certainly would never give up golf or a beer for the troops! I remember when G. W. Bush went, on Thanksgiving day, to Iraq. He secretly left and flew through the night to go and see the troops. I never heard it from the mainstream media, but I did see the documentary from it afterwards. Now that is a man that is greatful to our troops and respects what they do. How sad is it that our President now hates America and would never do something like that for our troops. He is too busy trying to take away funding from them to care what happens or even be a man and thank them for everything they do.

GOOD POST!

MOD EDIT: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

[edit on Fri Aug 13 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Remember when he gave up golfing out of respect and admiration for our troops and their families back in 2003?

I remember him saying that he gave up golf after the UN HQ in Iraq was bombed in August 2003:

"I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf," he said. "I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal."

Bush said he made that decision after the August 2003 bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, which killed Sergio Vieira de Mello, the top U.N. official in Iraq and the organization's high commissioner for human rights.

"I remember when de Mello, who was at the U.N., got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life," he said. "I was playing golf -- I think I was in central Texas -- and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, 'It's just not worth it anymore to do.'"

Yeah - it wasn' t because of ridiculous amount of US troop deaths - it was the UN being bombed that got him to quit.

And I also remember that he was lying. He played a game in October of 2003.

And what a sacrifice. Sure, he still made regular trips to his "vacation home" in Crawford, something the troops don't get to do either, but he was really making himself one with the troops.

Looks like they didn't treat this scrap with the reverence he thought they would:

www.telegraph.co.uk... html

But Brandon Friedman, a veteran US infantry officer who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, said Mr Bush's claim that he sacrificed golf for the war was a "slap in the face" for US troops.

Mr Friedman, who is vice chairman of the US veterans' organisation VoteVets, said: "Thousands of Americans have given up a lot more than golf for this war."

"For President Bush to imply that he somehow stands in solidarity with families of American soldiers by giving up golf is disgraceful. It's an insult to all Americans and a slap in the face to our troops' families.

"It just shows he's a guy who doesn't understand the idea of sacrifice for your country and military service. Giving up golf is not a sacrifice."

Maybe it would have been better had he not sent them into the war he chose without proper equipment. I'm sure the 4,000+ dead really appreciate that he's visiting the survivors. What a great guy.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Victoria 1

Bush Makes Surprise Thanksgiving Visit to Iraq

Bush Makes Surprise Thanksgiving Visit to Iraq Mr. Bush sneaked out of Crawford on Wednesday in an unmarked car, then flew to Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington, where a few advisers and a small number of reporters sworn to secrecy joined him. They then flew on to Baghdad International Airport, arriving around dusk.

He spent 2 hours 32 minutes in the country, dining with the chief United States administrator there, L. Paul Bremer III, and sharing Thanksgiving wishes with about 600 troops at an airport hangar. Mr. Bush actually helped serve dinner to the troops, who had been told they would be dining with Mr. Bremer and with Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of coalition forces in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProdigalSon

Originally posted by Flatfish
Bush should be sitting in jail for war crimes and crimes against humanity. He sent these young men and women to die in an unjust war and now you want me to give him a pat on the back for driving to the local airport to greet some of the survivors returning home? Please the man is a disgraceful bum, plain and simple.

every leader in history who did ever make war even once should have been sitting in jail for crimes against humanity. What makes bush an exception? Or there are "legal" and "illegal" wars, "good" and "bad" wars.
Cut the crap.

What makes Bush an exception?

We USED to punish our troops and officers when they tortured prisoners. We court martialed US troops who used waterboarding against Filipino guerrillas, and we executed Japanese officers who performed waterboarding on our POWs. Bush made waterboarding (and other means of torture) an official government policy.

Giving orders to torture = war criminal.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I am in support of a president who carved out a brief moment to shake the hands of troops returning from WAR.

I still fail to see how a few post hoc photo op handshakes deserve much in the way of "support" when it was his administration's lies that put these troops' lives in harm's way from the start. Did he also apologize, or ask for their forgiveness for putting their lives in danger due to his administration's lies?

Dont even try to attach your own interpretation to my beliefs.

Re-read my post. I didn't attach any interpretation to your beliefs. I simply pointed out the blatant ideological disconnect between Franklin's quote, and the Bush administration's track record regarding the "trading freedoms for security" issue. I then stated my curiosity regarding how you manage to reconcile such an ideological dichotomy.

Have you simply forgiven him for his administrations actions regarding such trade-offs? Do you even see the ideological disconnect between the two?

I STILL SUPPORT EACH AND EVERY SOLDIER.

I guess I don't see how praising Bush for these photo op handshakes, the same man whose lies put them into harm's way to begin with, equates to you supporting "EACH AND EVERY SOLDIER" themselves.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

www.examiner.com...

www.wjbdradio.com...

iraq.foreignpolicyblogs.com...

www.nytimes.com...

Your point? Presidents visit the troops. Bush is no longer president...even though they're in Iraq BECAUSE of him.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta

www.examiner.com...

www.wjbdradio.com...⊂=single&id=8468

iraq.foreignpolicyblogs.com...

www.nytimes.com...

Your point? Presidents visit the troops. Bush is no longer president...even though they're in Iraq BECAUSE of him.

My point was to provide the story for an event that was mentioned by a poster on this thread.

You're right!! Bush is no longer president but those severely afflicted with BDS can't seem to move on and realize all that is going on with the current administration. Read through the thread. It has turned into a war crimes tribunal when no formal charges have ever been filed.

Yes folks, time to move on.... and pay attention to the new guy because he plays by a different set of rules...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join