It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NDM-1 Bacteria identified: Resistant to all known antibiotics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
Swine flu is a virus...not a bacteria. So two totally different things here.

Well then if it is a bacteria, then it is a living thing and needs no host, unlike a virus which needs a host to live off of.

The bateria is living - so there must be a way to kill it. The trick would be killing the bacteria, and not the other "good" cells in our bodies.

It may take a while before an inoculation can be developed, tested and finally released for public consumption.

Is this fear mongering? Maybe, maybe not. But it does seem to have been predicted many years ago and is now a reality.

Just an example of evolution - on the microbial level.

-E2

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply t"If you really want to tweak your brain, maybe that is a conspiracy in itself...People's fear of germs helps to create germs we should fear."post by [davinci]

[davinci]

Having just re read your post I think that this quote of yours is brilliant and very true !!!

You said ...

"If you really want to tweak your brain, maybe that is a conspiracy in itself...

People's fear of germs helps to create germs we should fear."

A great quote which we should all listen too !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well I suppose then people like me who refuse medicine unless it is life or death, and instead rely on that silly old out-dated immune system thingy are at a distinct advantage.

I think this at the worst, will cause people to once again rely on their natural functions to build immunity to disease. In any case, let the fear-mongering begin!

*sings* Oh you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout - i'm telling you why!
Captain Trips is coming, to town! (Sorry, couldnt resist.)

[edit on 12-8-2010 by blood0fheroes]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I just read an article on this in The Sydney Morning Herald and they are attributing it to medical tourism and the over use of antibiotics in livestock.

'Handful' of superbug cases in Australia

Australia has recorded three cases of the same new class of superbug - the most resistant to antibiotics yet seen - that is on the rise in the UK.

And, like in Britain, it's the growing number of patients jetting out for "medical tourism" that is blamed for the increasingly impervious bacteria arriving on Australia's shores.

It's disconcerting that are no antibiotics in production to counter it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
NDM-1 isnt a bacteria or a "superbug", it's a gene that produces an enzyme that gives it's host bacteria resistance to all known antibiotics. It's only been found in e.coli and a form of pneumonia so far, but the concern is that it'll transfer into something that's readily human-to-human transmissible through a process called horizontal gene transfer, which is a very common method of gene transfer in single celled organisms.

So far there have only been 50 cases in the UK in the last 18 months (so far as I can gather from MSM sources) with no deaths. 2 deaths last year were "linked" to it, but I've not been able to find any info on them other than a Daily Mail article from August 2009, and The Daily Mail isn't a credible source in my opinion.

from NDM-1 Wiki

New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase (NDM-1)[1] is a gene that makes bacteria resistant to antibiotics of the carbapenem family. It encodes a type of beta-lactamase enzyme called a carbapenemase. Bacteria that carry this gene are often referred to by news reporters as "superbugs."[2] There are currently no new drugs in the research pipelines that aim to stop NDM-1.[3] To date, some strains of E.coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae are known carriers of the gene, but the gene can be transmitted from one strain of bacteria to another through horizontal gene transfer.

from Horizontal Gene Transfer Wiki

Horizontal gene transfer (HGT), also Lateral gene transfer (LGT), is any process in which an organism incorporates genetic material from another organism without being the offspring of that organism. By contrast, vertical transfer occurs when an organism receives genetic material from its ancestor, e.g., its parent or a species from which it has evolved.

Most thinking in genetics has focused upon vertical transfer, but there is a growing awareness that horizontal gene transfer is a highly significant phenomenon and amongst single-celled organisms perhaps the dominant form of genetic transfer.

Come on people, did none of you do any research beyond The Daily Mail?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join