It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida bill 'goes one step further' than Arizona immigration law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Florida bill 'goes one step further' than Arizona immigration law

rawstory.com

20 days in jail for immigrants who don't carry documentation on them

Florida's Republican attorney general on Wednesday proposed toughening the state's immigration laws, with powers to punish illegal immigration that could go beyond a controversial Arizona law.

Bill McCollum, who is running for governor, introduced the legislation amid an increasingly charged public debate over how far states should go to control illegal immigration, traditionally a federal responsibility.

McCollum said the bill "goes one step further" than the Arizona law, because it would increase penalties for
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I personally think this is a great idea. I know Florida is known for its illegal immigrants,cubans mostly. Carrying your papers should be mandatory and don't get on me and say well that's what Hitler did. Come on,even if you are legally living here and of Spanish decent then you most likely have a license which automatically makes you safe. There are over 11 million illegal immigrants living within the US of A which is RIDICULOUS and if the feds wont do anything about it than its time for local municipalities and state legislators to start the crackdown. Two thumbs up for Florida if this passes

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
My spouse is a legal immigrant and has been recommended by a USCIS officer to carry the permanent residency card at all times.

However he didn't say that it was a legal requirement at all times or that there was any punishment for not doing so.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

My spouse is a legal immigrant and has been recommended by a USCIS officer to carry the permanent residency card at all times.

However he didn't say that it was a legal requirement at all times or that there was any punishment for not doing so.

My cousin's wife was told the same thing. She came to the US from Guatemala a few years ago when my cousin came back to the states. He was a teacher down there and had lived there for many years. She was told that she should keep her card on her at all times and that police could ask for it at any time as well. I'm going to call her this weekend and ask her what she thinks of this proposed law as we have family in Florida so there is a good chance that she will be traveling there in the near future. She does have strong opinions about illegal immigration, by the way. She is one of those who say we should build a wall and shoot anyone caught trying to climb over it. Of course, she comes from a "colorful people" as she puts it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Wow.

This is an affront to personal liberty that I simply can't even fathom.

Remember, this is 20 days in jail for legal citizens just because they might not have their papers on them!

And you actually support this???

Republicans obviously could not care less about the Constitution or the rights of our legal immigrants.

Thankfully, this bill will either go nowhere or be stricken down as unconstitutional just like the AZ bill. Thank god for checks and balances.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Unless police have a system where they can TYPE the persons name in and see their legality, I think this is a horrible idea.

I know I have been out and about without and I.D before...

Only way this would work is if everyone legal had a picture of themselves in a large database...then that would raise more concerns.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
You know, the next time I get pulled over I am going to say I am an immigrant and they BETTER not push the id requirement.

Otherwise I will sick the NAACP and the ACLU on them.

Wonder if that will work?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The thought of something like this sparking the new American Civil War is certainly starting to unveil itself as of late.

Either we're taking more liberty from true Americans, or we're taking Mexican lives.

It would seem as though they've come up with a lose/lose situation all around, I'd say.

I can't help but wonder if this would mean that much to anyone, if we weren't fighting over pathetically inadequate table-scraps left by a purely criminal and fascist oligarchy?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I work in a restaurant here in FL. and if you have ever worked in the industry you know the people they are trying to persecute. I understamd the objection, but remember that these are great people simply trying to help their family as best they can. Also for the most part they are people who simply want to better themselves. ( for example it is messed up to charge someone with dui and wait untill they pay all their fines, then deport them, its just wrong, and it just hapened to one of our cooks)

1st post by the way

[edit on 8/12/10 by toorare2die]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I am glad that people are starting to wake up and see what these laws are really all about. In fact, I think it couldn't be happening at a better time. When November rolls around and the GOP get their teeth handed to them, they will know they have been exposed as the bigots and racists they really are.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Perhaps we might consider this issue from a long term global perspective
It seems to be all about us, ........its all mine!
It appears to be all about now,.........who cares for the past!
Is the nation of America anything more than a temporary thought
A brief eddy in the current
For that matter, is any nation any different
What makes this or that land ours,.. and not theirs.

Do you think that the native Americans in the 17th century discussed a measure to isolate and extract the new white skins that ran roughshod over their territory. Sure they did.... did it work?.

The dated concept of national sovereignty is breaking down, the center cannot hold. The nation of America is in peoples hearts and minds, the land is not yours, the land owns you. In the absence of a responsible custodianship of land and the carrying capacity of that land, a global process that is bigger than all of us sweeps away the old and institutes the new.

This is the law of karmic return.
You can't stop the tide coming in but you can learn to love the new and refreshing waters that wash around you.

The question really is ; will we face the future with fear, intimidation and violence; or can we transcend the old and dated paradigms to create a global society which still cherishes that old shining city on the hill.

Artificial boundaries aren't real.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

I would think a drivers license can be considered the same, don't we always carry that at all times?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Wow.

This is an affront to personal liberty that I simply can't even fathom.

Remember, this is 20 days in jail for legal citizens just because they might not have their papers on them!

And you actually support this???

i agree that part is bad, the only punishment should be a court date to show up with the card at a later time, nothing more should be warranted. 20 days in jail for a legal citizen is nazi documents style.

Originally posted by xstealth
I would think a drivers license can be considered the same, don't we always carry that at all times?

you'd think, except illegal aliens are allowed to get drivers licenes too.

www.theamericanresistance.com...
^visit link for full article.^

"The open borders lobby routinely lobbies state legislatures to issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens as one of the keys to erasing the distinction between legal citizens and illegal aliens.

In the U.S., the drivers license is our de facto universal identification card. Yet many states do not thoroughly verify applicants' identities. Many states do not require a valid Social Security number to get a license and many will issue a state ID number for those without a Social Security number.

This makes it very easy for illegal aliens to obtain drivers licenses. These licenses become "breeder documents" which allow the recipient to obtain additional documents, based upon the false premise that he is a U.S. citizen. For example, all of the 9/11 hijackers had driver's licenses or state-issued non-driver's identification cards, which they then could use when opening bank accounts, renting housing, and boarding planes.

Eleven states issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens,"...

[edit on 12-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

Carrying your papers should be mandatory

I agree. Let's get Florida to mandate that all people must carry an ID. While we are at it let's get them to mandate all people get a chip implant.

Because ultimately that is we are headed. Politicians have been famous for passing a law concerning a small group and slowly expanding the law to include others.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by jam321]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Wait what? "Papers please?" should we also make all immigrants wear little flags on their bodies representing their the country of origin?

Ohh, I got it, Let's give them bar-code tattoos so that cops can scan them when they come across them and find out if they are "valid".

[edit on 8/12/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Bill McCollum is a moron who is gonna get his butt handed to him come November. He just a useless lobbyist trying anything at this point to garner votes. I think the 20 days is ridiculou, as well as a waste of money....not that he'd ever waste money. However, here in Florida we do have a terrible problem with illegals. I vote if we can prove it, we take 'em out to interneational waters drop 'em off and see if they can swim back.......solves a lot of problems.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by toorare2die
I work in a restaurant here in FL. and if you have ever worked in the industry you know the people they are trying to persecute. I understamd the objection, but remember that these are great people simply trying to help their family as best they can. Also for the most part they are people who simply want to better themselves. ( for example it is messed up to charge someone with dui and wait untill they pay all their fines, then deport them, its just wrong, and it just hapened to one of our cooks)

1st post by the way

So I should feel sorry for someone ILLEGALLY in this country and have sympathy because they want to help their families. Isn't that what the citizens whose jobs they take want as well? I have nothing against the illegals I just want them to be here legally. I feel bad they have it so bad where they are but it's not my problem nor anyone else's in this country. I am an American and I want to better myself but right now with the illegal using my identity, kinda makes it hard. Also why is it bad to hold an illegal for DUI nonetheless until he has paid his fines? Hey he is off the street and should be paying something back. If you are pulled over for DUI you should be in jail, you have endangered other people's lives. If they deported him nothing would happen anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Tyrannyispeace

I applaud the spirit of your idea but if you are pulled over, then you'd better have a valid drivers license. Citizens are required to do so in every state.

Is that infringment of our freedoms and rights too?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Bill McCollum is a moron who is gonna get his butt handed to him come November. He just a useless lobbyist trying anything at this point to garner votes. I think the 20 days is ridiculou, as well as a waste of money....not that he'd ever waste money. However, here in Florida we do have a terrible problem with illegals. I vote if we can prove it, we take 'em out to interneational waters drop 'em off and see if they can swim back.......solves a lot of problems.

I live in FL also and got my voter packet the other day which I tossed. I don't agree with anything these guys say, it's all lies. They will say whatever the trend is right now in other areas and right now it's all about illegals esp with AZ's new law. Yes we do have a problem in FL with illegals and it is worse the further south you go. I swear I feel like I am not even in FL let alone the US anymore.

I have had neighbors who were illegal and was witness to immigration raiding one of houses late at night. They were from Guatamala and there were about 10 they took with them. One of the family members owned the house and would let other members stay there as well as friends and distant family. I was glad they left, they use to cut my roses when they bloomed out of my rose garden and they weren't friendly. They caused nothing but trouble...I am not saying all illegals are like this but the majority I have encountered are.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Oh please Mr. Government man don't take our Mexican from us down in the southeast.

The sorry white and black boys won't work in cold weather and certainly not in the summer.

Nobody questions a Mexicans legality here as they are happy and very willing to roof our buildings in the hottest temperatures. They are also excellent workers in many other types of businesses.

My only complaint is that when one has an automobile accident they have no insurance or license and that does make the person hit have to pay their own repair cost.

When I need a hot, dirty job done I get a few Mexicans who are happy to work.

The illegals are not taking jobs from our white and black young men and women. They won't work anyway.

And the illegals pay their rent right on time and cause no trouble.

I do understand how terrible it must be in the boarder states but we have no problem here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join