It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't forget to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Just wanted tell/remind the ATS Community, about the Perseid Meteor Shower which comes once a year and starts Aug 11th, and supposed to cease Aug 14.

I really recommend going outside, or somewhere that light is very slim to none.

Get out, take a break, and look up

Where to look
The Perseid meteor shower takes place in the region of the sky around the constellation Perseus, hence the name. It's primarily visible to those in the Northern hemisphere after midnight. Once you find Perseus, that's not the only place you should be looking. That's just the center of the shower, or the "radiant," the point from which the streaks will appear to radiate.

The easiest way to spot the radiant with the unaided eye is to look for the familiar constellation of Cassiopeia. She's the bright letter W in the Northern sky. The Perseids meteors radiate from a point directly below and slightly to the left.

Both Cassiopeia and Perseus rise in the Northwest just before midnight, and move towards the Northeast until dawn.

Here's a photo of what to look for.

If you're familiar with the quadrant system used by most star charts and navigation systems, Perseus is in NQ1.

If you have more sophisticated equipment, dial in these coordinates:

•Right Ascension: 03h
•Declination: +45º

WIRED.com

I for one will be outside tonight for awhile. Hope those who check it out enjoy.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the info..
Im in NJ, not sure what I will be able to see,
but my eyes always on the sky!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Ah, don't worry im sure you'll be able to catch a few. It's said around 50-100 meteorites will be appearing every hour.

Im going to see if our old cam corder has any blank film. I would like to share what Im able to capture.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm going to go outside later, in the cold night air, have a smoke, and watch the sky.

Should be nice.

Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
so that's what the "w" is....thanks
i'll go have a looky
below and to the west

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
No problem. I've been out for awhile enjoying the rare breeze

Im about to head out and just relax and view the stars. I even asked the neighbors if it was okay if they would'nt mind having there outside lights off for a bit.

It's dark out so more star's are visible. I really got addicted to "Star Gazing" It's beautiful, and really gets your mind off things. A good stress reliever if you ask me

Hope to hear from some of your experiences and maybe photos

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Im in the UK and its meant to peak at about 11pm, had some crazy storms today in manchester and after that it went clear sky, looking now, 9:20pm cloud layer is forming, not fair, i wanna see these with my own eyes, if it dont happen this year im going to the peak district to view them. but i will bet the cloud will always follow me lol

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I want to see this SOOOO much !!!

It's cloudy at the mo here in North Yorkshire but with a bit of luck it might clear up by 11, really hope so anyway

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Lets hope it does, really want to see this, but it will prolly rain

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Thanks for the reminder I forgot it was tonight (worked to death)
I guess I will be out tonight with my new scope

top topics

join