It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Sorry to go off topic here but I'm impressed. This have been the most civil discussion I've seen here..... EVER. By and large. THIS is what ATS is about. I'm proud to be part of this. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Totally agree with you here, and if anyone has the opportunity to read through all 397 replies, they too will see the level and quality of feedback. I guess it shows that there are members who do actually put time and value their online time in order to interact and exchange views and opinions without getting into a mud slinging fight.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Yeah but our humo(u)r is more British.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Oh...mate....i am literally in tears on this end, that's a sketch that i haven't seen before...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You dissing our soccer team of such fine young men? Come on, we have only been in the FIFA WC twice; give us time...our soccer boys will reach the same great heights as their rugby brothers and you will fear them too

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

I know football is the greatest passion among the populations of the Middle East and Persia. In NZ footy/football is part of our culture, it's in our blood. We live it, we breath it every day of our lives. Its a time to reflect, it's a time we push our problems aside, it's a time we unite as one.

This is how we are in NZ and any soccer (or rugby) team any where in the world wants to come play our boys...you will be treated in the highest regard and you are most welcome.

I think I should go work for the NZ Football Association

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The very fact that this thread now has over 400 posts means someone sure is sensitive about something. Sorry, but I'm not going to read 20-some pages to figure out who.

I vote for the original title of the thread, based on personal experience, but perhaps I'm a bit biased, being a citizen of the evil empire n' all.

No offence to my Canadian friends, but... I admit to having -- very ocassionally and always gently -- poked at the old sore spot about "Canadian distinctiveness" in various ways. Its just that the (over)reactions are always so predictable and extreme that it verges on the burlesque. Kind of like those vinegar-and-baking-soda volcanoes kids make for science fairs. Who could predict such huge, frothy, and ultimately harmless eruptions from such seemingly familar ingredients...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Back on topic here now....I am a canadain living in England....Have lived here for 7yrs now....Now i would say that majority of times the brits have got it right. Most have recognised my Canadian Acccent but yes there are many that have mistaken it for American...NO big deal though ...i just get out a gun and quickly shoot them, and continue walking.

but after living here for aboot three years my accent has seem to have changed and it now seems i get asked if i am Irish all the time....but no problem there as i just set a car bomb and continue walking.

but it it has been 7yrs my accent has changed again....and now they think i am one of them so now they ask me if i would like to go to the pub for a drink...i say "i dont drink"...and they quickly shoot me...stuff a bomb up my Ass and continue walking while muttering...."what is e Good for M8"

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
They're ONLY embarrassed when thought to be AMERICAN. That's because in the last 15 years we have acted like we've just fallen off the turnip truck... For Heaven's Sake, people... let's STOP believing we have a right to be bigoted, elite, greedy, and that We are still smarter or more macho than everyone else. It's a level playing field now, and we have only the GOPs to blame for our angst. After all, CANADA is NOT three trillion dollars in debt to Communist China.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by CynCritter]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube
...stuff a bomb up my Ass and continue walking while muttering...."what is e Good for M8"

Dear Gawd, how dare those pommies do that to a canuck?
Was it a kidney pie bomb? Did they pronounce it "Azz" like here in North America, or "ahhwss" like in the UK, OZ, NZ, South Africa?? Don't ever trust a pom with your "ahhwss" - he/she might blow it up!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
To the average Brit a Canadian sounds American, it's the accent.

And as for the Eastern Euros? All I can say is, they bloody love a good drink!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I think it would be cool to be mistaken for a Canadian. You guys gave us Rush, quite possibly the greatest band in the history of rock(Rolling Stone mag and the RnR Hall of Shame be damned). Therefore, I have a great affection for Canadians.

Now, I want to clear something up. You Canucks may hold hockey dear to your hearts but it ain't yours. Read the big book of hockey - the one with all the stats in it whose name I forget but it's got the real story and mostly it's a US game. I am not making this up so you can flame me all you want.

Beer from the US is urine and should not be drunk under any circumstances. While I was more into German and UK beers there are some mighty good ones from up north.

Truth be told, if it weren't so bloody cold up there(I'm a desert boy and anything under 70f is cold to me) I'd probably relocate up there as the US sucks nowadays.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I speak for myself and every canadian here "I AM CANADIAN" and dam proud to say it but i dont know about everybody, but for myself and my friends we arent overly sensitive. the thing we do get sensitive about is americans treat us like idiots, but everywhere else in the world, we are like gods in a sence, and frum my expierence outta the country, everybody loves us, but there is the odd few that think we are americans, and that is what upsets me, because from my expiernces nobody is that fond of americans and almost look down on you till you show them your passport saying you canadian then they love you. i dunno just my thoughs take it or leave it, u know im right

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEATHHAWK008...we are like gods in a sence, and frum my expierence outta the country, everybody loves us...

Well, have you considered the possibility that perhaps the Gods could descend to the mortal plane, if only briefly, for a bit of basic spelling and diction instruction?

Or perhaps you are deliberately doing a bit of anti-Canadian trolling here?

Seriously, I would have let your screed pass without comment if it weren't for this particular sentence. Mea culpa.

[edit on 8/13/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... this song explanes Canada to the fullest

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Originally posted by DEATHHAWK008...we are like gods in a sence, and frum my expierence outta the country, everybody loves us...

Well, have you considered the possibility that perhaps the Gods could descend to the mortal plane, if only briefly, for a bit of basic spelling and diction instruction?

Or perhaps you are deliberately doing a bit of anti-Canadian trolling here?

Seriously, I would have let your screed pass without comment if it weren't for this particular sentence. Mea culpa.

lol okay, i get what your sayen, and i dont mean to be rude, but thats why us Canadians are so awsome. we dont walk around with sticks up our asses, cuz we just dont care

[edit on 8/13/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
All these Canadian hosers finally standing up and getting out there to let the world know they're different, EH? (sorry just watch Strange Brew)

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
If anyone should be oversensitive it should be us English... Mommy is NOT happy!!!.. We understand that you are all grown up now and have busy, demanding lives but woud it be too much to ask you to call once in a while?! You never call, you never write and not so much as a christmas card *sniff*...

But on a more serious note, I judge a whole nation by its beer.. Australia.. Cans of rum and coke?? Wtf is that about? Didnt stop me drinking it though lol, bundy i think its called? Bu my fave was Bees knees, wish we could buy that here.. However i have sourced my other fave aussie thing Tim Tams and anzac bickies.. Yum.. American beer is ight weight, but jacky d did you proud... Canadian beer Morsons, thats ok, but have to say without any bias the English local brewers beat even the Germans.. I will be downing a few in about an hour lol... Speckeled hen, london pride, bombadier and a pint of hob goblin finished with a pint of banks's bitter and some scrumpy cider methinks lol

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
American tourists in the UK, What should the brits be warned about The American visitors.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by woodwardjnr]

[edit on 13-8-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Love Harry Enfied... "Isnt she probably pretty?" Class lol

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

But Mommy Britain we are all grown up.. We need to live our own lives. We still have a picture of you and your allowed to visit anytime you want. And America keeps stealing all our phone minutes prank calling. We don't want overage charges. We also have to clean up after America they are a messy room mate, they even invaded other places and made a mess. They lost all their money and that caused us to loose some money. We still love you momma Britain our room mate just keeps us from calling...We love you Britain from the bottom of our hearts. Can you help us get a new room mate? Maybe the Irish or Scotts they are cool and don't make a mess really...

Also Go Mike from Canmore! I love him... And Air Farce I love the Macintosh skit they do..

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join