It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
right...
Americans travel with Canadian flags sown on everything for a reason...
Like the American press did during the invasion of Iraq, or like backpackers do in Europe.

Canadians earned the right to wear that flag.
We wonder whats all the fuss about respecting the American flag,
when so many of the people from the US then go and choose to wear ours.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Danbones]

Because Americans think if we are seen with an American flag anywhere outside this country (save Canada) we will be viciously killed because everyone hates us. We cannot even be suspected of being American. That is why they wear Canadian flags.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Wow, different day, different attitudes. Last night we were all getting along so well. What happened?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Apparently people lost focus on the issue on hand. I'm one of them. I do however defend Canada all the way as a new immigrant! This is the best country in the world - that's why I'm here Intrepid

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Wow, different day, different attitudes. Last night we were all getting along so well. What happened?

Dude, I was thinking the same thing. Last night, it was a fun thread with everyone busting each others chops and joking.

Someone must have gotten ahold of some bad Canadian bacon.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by tristar

I think you'll find that most, if not all, Aussies have a special affinity toward our Canadian friends. Same as our feelings toward the Kiwi's and the Pom's - we regard them with a kind of brotherly love if you will.

Yes, we tease them also (which is sometimes taken the wrong way but never intended as such) such as calling our British brothers Pom's or teasing our Kiwi brothers about their latest loss in the rugby - that kind of thing. But it's all from a brotherly kind of perspective - whenever I or any other Aussie I know talks about Canada or Britain or New Zealand its always with a smile on their face and with nice things to say.

Sorry if thats a little confusing - in Aussie we would just call it mateship but to a foreigner who doesn't understand the Aussie meaning of "mate" then it's a tad difficult to get the meaning across hehe.

Yes i totally understand and to share some info, about 2 months ago i was invited to a dinner where many ambassadors from various nations were attending (yes i frequently sit and chat with ambassadors on very friendly basis), so moving right along, i was seated obviously with other English speaking diplomats who amongst them, was a person from Australia and Canada. As i have frequently visited the au. and lived there for some time we did touch basis on various social topics and concerns that each nation faces in these troublesome times.

But what did strike me and has obviously once again re assured my original thoughts is that Australians, Canadians, English and Americans have far more in common once the issue of protocol has been put to aside. This is also evident within this thread as to the neutral approach and interaction on exchanging views and opinions about nations. All it takes is communication.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by tristar]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

Originally posted by tristar

eg
"Polish tourists are likely to be hurt by stereotypes that imply they drink excessively..."

[edit on 11-8-2010 by tristar]

he's right, polish do drink excessively, i know a few pollocks.

i wouldnt say they drink to often though, just to much amount each time.

Well wouldn't you drink excessively with the quality of beer they have..
, i know i enjoy some of their brews.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I wouldn't worry too much, it all depends on what was shown on the idiot box and do not forget, that when people get along it makes other people very nervous. But the fact remains as evidence as to how this thread begun and how it will end, which in my opinion has not even crossed the half way mark.

As i have just posted, its all a matter of communication.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
I'm not really into nationalism. It causes too many problems, just like organized religion.

That's a funny article though. When I first saw the headline I thought someone had snipped an article from The Onion.

Oddly enough, i also thought the same thing when i came across it, thinking, no way, this cant be real, so once i clicked on the link i was like....
and so the rest is history as you can see within this thread.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Just for #s and giggles, here's the reaction of the crowd in DC to our national anthem during a Capital's game:

Edit to add: Don't try this in Philly.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by Monger
The next Brit I meet, I'm going to call 'French' and see how that goes.

That would go down like a lead balloon on Jupiter! 1000 years of smacking the crap out of each other tends to leave it's mark. Same would go if you called a Swede a Norwegian..

As you said, identity is important.

To share a similar but funny note, i tend to call Belgium citizens Germans, obviously just for fun, so once the silence settles in, i rectify and make sure they understand it was an intended joke, which they then obviously begin to laugh quoting things such as, for such a small and insignificant nation we do control Europe, to which i reply, " its just an illusion" .

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Edit to add: Don't try this in Philly.

nice vid, yep, its all about communication, but i am kinda confused about the philly, why not philly ?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

nice vid, yep, its all about communication, but i am kinda confused about the philly, why not philly ?

Well I follow more NFL than hockey and I can tell you the Philly crowd is the nastiest this side of a Brit "football" fanatic.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by stumason

I'm quite happy where I am but when you do talk to foreigners they all say they want to move to America....especially the Middle Easterns. I've been to the States and loved it, will go back and will love it again but move there? Then it would'nt be so exciting.

Yep, they're all lining up to go to England, USA, France, Germany, Italy & Australia.

Very very true, sadly the amount of illegal's who pay anywhere from 3000 euro's to 5000 euros to cross over from Turkey into Greece and seek political asylum and await visa's to other European nations is simply beyond belief. Over 85% want to find a way to move to England the rest want to move to Italy and Germany.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Well I follow more NFL than hockey and I can tell you the Philly crowd is the nastiest this side of a Brit "football" fanatic.

oh #, wasn't aware of that, is it because the Canadians kicked some philly ass and they now have "V" against the Can's now.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

Cant fight your battles? Noone wants Canada cause its a frozen wasteland. And if it wasnt for america and if china, russia etc wanted canada they could take you guys easily.
LMAO

the reason Canada's not invaded is because the people who own Canada own the United States... Why invade something you already own? Canada is not a sovereign nation and this is just about true for the US

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
reply to post by tristar

Oh no!

God forbid anyone gets their feelings hurt!

Seriously though, maybe this stems from the fact that most Americans traveling abroad are told to say they are "Canadian" to avoid any anti american sentiments

From my experience, i was in Athens while all those riots were being shown across the world and it was seriously a chaotic place to be in and yes, there was a feeling of its citizens being fed up with all the propaganda and such being imposed onto them since the fall of the military government in 74'.

But as i do travel between many euro nations for various reason, i can honestly say, that i do feel the sentiment that Americans are hated across the world is a spoon fed mind trick. Although the current situation in the M.E. does warrant one to be extra careful since the uneducated are simply the most dangerous ones to look out for.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
After reading the article I'm left wondering how many of those who replied actually read it.

This just seems like another case of the UK being way to politically correct and making an issue out of nothing. I love the UK but my goodness, your government has surly lost its mind.

The only thing that offends me as a Canadian is when my fellow countrymen from Quebec say they are from Quebec when asked their nationality. Its Quebec, Canada and not Quebec, Quebec.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FIFIGI
How the hell I am supposed to tell if you are from USA and Canada? Unless you are from Quebec and talk French? There is no bloody way. I have mistaken Canadians for USA citizens so many times. I work in a hotel in UK.

I see your point, but you could ask the most diplomatic and most recognized question across the planet which will instantly give you their nationality.

What is that question ?

What is your favorite national beer

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I've got one big problem with Oz. My Demons have sucked for years. Back in the 80's they were unbeatable.

As for French Canadians, some can speak English perfectly. Until you get a few drinks into them and they start dropping their H's.

Okay...okay..you are not going to succeed today in attempting me to spill my coffee over the keyboard again....

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Dude, I was thinking the same thing. Last night, it was a fun thread with everyone busting each others chops and joking.

Someone must have gotten ahold of some bad Canadian bacon.

no such thing.. must have been that "stuff" they make elsewheres

edit to add
I would probably wear the Quebec flag before a Canadian one, but if I was going to put a flag on my personal stuff, it would probably resemble a green 7 leafed plant, with some colorful goingons around it

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Le Colonel]

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join