It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_
reply to post by tristar

Why should they feel pleased to be called Americans while on their own land and not being Americans?

Would Americans like to be called Canadians or Mexicans while in US soil? Brits be called French while in UK or vice versa?

the fact is, that would never happen in real life. Why? Because we are way more relevant and powerful than you are.

Plus you guys pretty much sound and look just like we do. Stop hating.

Guess not. This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It smells like yet another attempt to stamp a "Americans we don't like you" all over the news for Americans to read with the intent of causing a fuss over nothing.

People that were expecting something different should stop using the American flag as underwear and rethink things a bit.

why u mad though?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

I'm terrible with accents and once when I was on holiday in Spain, I thought the barman I was chatting to for ten minutes or so was a Spaniard and complimented him on his English. He was from Liverpool in the UK. Boy did I feel a bit of a twit. ( I blamed the loud music)

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Tykonos]

Lol! Funniest thing I've heard in weeks

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I will tell a story

CANADIAN (AMERICAN)

there was a plumber called to fix the washer(worsher)...he wanted a drink of water(warter).....the canadain was ABOAT(about)...the house and he ran into his BUD(pal)[inter changable...with a (twang)]

we he decided he needed a caprenter...to go on the roof(ruf)..but there was a problem he fell(Feell) of the roof(ruf).

when it came to payment i gave them a toony(two dollars) a looney(a buck).

then life was good.

[edit on 023131p://f31Thursday by plube]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by plube
I will tell a story

CANADIAN (AMERICAN)

there was a plumber called to fix the washer(worsher)...he wanted a drink of water(warter).....the canadain was ABOAT(about)...the house and he ran into his BUD(pal)[inter changable...with a (twang)]

we he decided he needed a caprenter...to go on the roof(ruf)..but there was a problem he fell(Feell) of the roof(ruf).

when it came to payment i gave them a toony(two dollars) a looney(a buck).

then life was good.

I disagree with the interchangeables, at least the American ones.

for starters, there are several different accents in the US. You have your med west (weatherman accent) You have your east NY/boston accents, You cali accent, and your norther accent (people in wisconsin, oregon, etc basically sound like canadians). You also have your southern accents (you seem to be using a texan accent as the american accent) Southern accents range too. You have you Cajun accent and your deep south accent.

Just say'n...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Canada has 6 accents

western provinces..B.C. and the prairies... Ontario...French(Quebec)...
Nova Scotia..(trailer Park Boys). Newfie.... and Aboriginal

I like how the rest of the world thinks the entire country says "eh" and "aboot"

[edit on 12-8-2010 by wrathchild]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Yagerbombs

yes fair points on all acounts...cept two...

I bet you dont have a tooney or a looney.....

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Go wings!!!!
2nd Line ..

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by plube
reply to post by Yagerbombs

I bet you dont have a tooney or a looney.....

Meh? More like tree fiddy. (srs)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrathchild
Canada has 6 accents

western provinces..B.C. and the prairies... Ontario...French(Quebec)...
Nova Scotia..(trailer Park Boys). Newfie.... and Aboriginal

I like how the rest of the world thinks the entire country says "eh" and "aboot"

[edit on 12-8-2010 by wrathchild]

No one cares about the french..

the more you know.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Canada is in North America so they're americans, everyone who lives in South and North America continents can be considered americans, North America was invaded by european twats, but call himself a true american and not a colonist from Europe is the one who resided in these areas long before appear of Europeans.. Reds, Aztecs and so on...this is too much of a nationalism that "americans" from united states are ill about.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by carpenter84]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by carpenter84
Canada is in North America so they're americans, everyone who lives in South and North America continents can be considered americans, North America was invaded by european twats, but call himself a true american and not occupant from Europe is the one who resided in these areas long before appear of Europeans.. Reds, Aztecs and so on...this is too much of a nationalism that "americans" from united states are ill about.

wtf u on son?

they lost, get over it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
How the hell I am supposed to tell if you are from USA and Canada? Unless you are from Quebec and talk French? There is no bloody way. I have mistaken Canadians for USA citizens so many times. I work in a hotel in UK.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
whats bad is when you go meet your wife's aunt and uncle for the first time down in florida and they mistake you for a Canadian instead of a backwoods hillbilly.
The words from her aunts mouth "you never told us he was canadian" when I herd that I almost chocked no offense. But I could see were some one could get both dialects mixed up

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
we play better rugby - in fact - our team is by far the most prestigous in the world and our soccer team is the most respected.

Yes, the Kiwis may be the best rugby team in the world (over a time period - which is important), but let's be honest, you guys have been known to be "chokers" like my SA cricket 1 day team. We choked how many times, but in regular international games we dominated, even the Aussies at 1 point.

Just to throw a stick in the fire - Who won the last rugby world cup... ah hmm hhhmmm - SA!

Don't get me wrong, utmost respect for the Kiwi's. My brother supports them instead of SA, so you can guess I had a ripping of him the last world cup!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
No argument about the All Blacks, but since when did the NZ football team become the ''most respected'' ?

I think the poster is referring to the fact that NZ held Italy for a draw in the world cup, and effectively knocked them out. I must say that the White Caps did a hell of a job, considering that most of them aren't considered professional soccer players!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is the most immature thread I've ever read here on A.T.S, so many pissing contests, ridiculous. People who get offended by people who make the mistake of getting their accents wrong really need to prioritise about what's worth getting offended about, there are lots of good reasons to get pissed off but this isn't one of them.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ash81

Since I've been here I've been mistaken for Australian, Scottish, Irish

Welcome to the club

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I've got one big problem with Oz. My Demons have sucked for years. Back in the 80's they were unbeatable.

As for French Canadians, some can speak English perfectly. Until you get a few drinks into them and they start dropping their H's.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by christianpatrick
reply to post by intrepid

Why'd you Australians get into that mess? To make the world safe for opium poppy growers? Bush's lapdogs, I say. When Bush f*rted, the Canadian and Australian PMs thanked him and told him how good it smelled.

That was our Prime Minister at the time John Howard and his band of Liberal cronies. (Im speaking of Australia here of course.)

Note that we got rid of him at the next available election.

Note also that the majority of the Aussie public disagrees with the war and never wanted to go there in the first place.

Oh and we hated Bush.

That about sum it up for you?

Yes, you got rid of him at the next available election.
From the Sydney Morning Herald

Gillard remains committed to Afghanistan
August 11, 2010

AAP

Prime Minister Julia Gillard says she remains committed to the Australian mission in Afghanistan despite a warning of rising casualties....
news.smh.com.au...

But it looks like you voted for more of the same.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

You need to learn some respect. The Canadians are in Afghanistan to help you! But you think nothing of it... No, you want to troll this thread with a stupid video! Grow up "kid" - cause your mind is juvenile. What point are you making? Except that you aren't grown up and mature enough to realise that we work together as countries?? As "Alan Harper" says: "Blow it out your ass!"

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join