It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

US and Canada are more equal north and south than they are east and west. BC is very similar to the NW USA and the central provinces are similar to they cross border states. Califronia is extremely different from New York. And BC is very different from Winnipeg. Take Quebec and Newfoundland out of this equation.

Canadians are not insanely patriotic. I have heard this quote from several Canadians "Canada is better because we are not patriotic". Sounds like patriotism to me.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
Anyone from North America or South America should be considered an American. So, you are an American.

In a sense, true... because 'Asians' covers a lot of territory too. There is a difference between India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Viet Nam, Nepal and China (to name a few), though. However, I'd agree with your point that they are all Asian.

An American is presumed to be a citizen of the United States of America and Canada certainly isn't that yet. If one were to call all Americans Texans, maybe your confuscation could be alleviated.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
we play better rugby - in fact - our team is by far the most prestigous in the world and our soccer team is the most respected.

No argument about the All Blacks, but since when did the NZ football team become the ''most respected'' ?

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well, I am Canadian. Although I do enjoy our environment oh so much, you can call me any nationality you would like.

No, I won't push you face back a few inches, nor will I get angry.

For me to agree to be Canadian, I would have to go into a mind set in which i turn the planet, into 195 mini planets. No thanks. I am a citizen of not just the planet, but existence itself. As we all are.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

LOL,
Well , Shiraz was named Shiraz, not because you guys called it that, because it's from Shiraz in Iran
I hear you though mate, I don't think people like me and you want ANY type of Government... only way for us to live in peace, "they" are keeping us apart, as if we're enemies... but we're not...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

When the All Whites walked away with their heads held high as the only UNDEFEATED team of FIFA 2010.

And it goes without saying, our soccer lads are not like the European pressies - all hype and no action. The All Whites really are fine young men; I'm proud of them. They quietly went on the field, did their stuff, then quietly left the same way. How they handled themselves in SA was just beautiful. Yes, they did earn the respect of all the FIFA authorities.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanks98

Well what state is similar to Newfoundland? Also my guess is you've visited places like Toronto or Montreal or even Ottawa/hull they are more Americanized than the rest of the country same with BC. But go north or to any of the smaller towns much different. From my experiences as a Canadian living in the Canadian culture I see the differences. I don't like the American culture you may say its the same but it really isn't.

The patriotism thing is well we make fun of our anthem, we have Air farce's Politically Correct anthem. I don't think i have ever heard someone make fun of the anthem in the states. Also we don't take out politics seriously.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

I have always wanted to visit the nation of one of my ancestors but most of all you can always come down under and play soccer with us

Sport is the key when all this is over and done with where we can forget the past and stand as fellow human beings on the soccer patch !

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm not really into nationalism. It causes too many problems, just like organized religion.

That's a funny article though. When I first saw the headline I thought someone had snipped an article from The Onion.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm only offended by all the Americans who travle Europe pretending to be Canadian so they get treated better.

However, if you poke just a little bit below the "Toronto Blue Jays" baseball cap, you can usually pick out the Americans, who know very little about Canada.

For all you Brits on how to tell a yank posing as a Canadian - ask them some BASIC questions about Canada, they will probably get them wrong.

1) What is the Capital of Canada (Ottawa, NOT Toronto).
2) Who is the current Prime Minister (Stephen Harper - although likely to change before 2012).
3) Ask them who the Governor of their State is. A true Canadian will correct you and tell you who the PREMIERE of their PROVINCE is, if they know it. If they don't know who it is, they will STILL tell you that they have Premieres and Provinces, not Governors and States. Most Americans won't know this.
4) Ask them the name of the hockey team in their province or the nearest one. True Canadians, even non hockey fans, will still be able to tell you the names of the local hockey teams (BC - Vancouver Canucks, Alberta - Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Ontario - Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa Senators, Quebec - Montreal Canadiens).
5) Ask them what Tim Hortons is, and who Tim Horton was. Most Americans won't know. ANY Canadian will tell you it's a chain of donut/coffee shops, and that Tim Horton was a hockey player.

AMERICANS - If you are planning on travelling to Europe posing as Canadians, you would do well to learn the above.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
The next Brit I meet, I'm going to call 'French' and see how that goes.

That would go down like a lead balloon on Jupiter! 1000 years of smacking the crap out of each other tends to leave it's mark. Same would go if you called a Swede a Norwegian..

As you said, identity is important.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
They might be made at us because of this episode on south park....

www.southparkstudios.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
reply to post by Hanks98

Well what state is similar to Newfoundland? Also my guess is you've visited places like Toronto or Montreal or even Ottawa/hull they are more Americanized than the rest of the country same with BC. But go north or to any of the smaller towns much different. From my experiences as a Canadian living in the Canadian culture I see the differences. I don't like the American culture you may say its the same but it really isn't.

The patriotism thing is well we make fun of our anthem, we have Air farce's Politically Correct anthem. I don't think i have ever heard someone make fun of the anthem in the states. Also we don't take out politics seriously.

Another Canuck! How can we take our politics seriously when our politicians are such jokes? When the choice is Stephen Harper, Jack Layton, or Iggy, you've gotta laugh.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Awwwww, you take all the fun out of Americans when they travel
Don't go to Europe, come to Australia or New Zealand. We love both the Americans and Canadians.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Being Canadian, I understand how offense can be taken for being mistaken for an American.

When travelling abroad... being american brings with it at stigma that doesn't come with being Canadian. People around the world generally look up to Canada and respect us for our friendly image and heroic actions of the past... it was Canadians who invented the first UN peacekeeping force...

I remember one of my highschool teachers telling me that while on a trip in France, he was about to get mugged, but the muggers stopped when they saw the Canadian flag on his backpack.

"Sorry about that, we don't steal from Canadians".

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Lets face it, many a nation can gripe about the Americans but why everyone wants to immigrate there?

We do have BBQs, sun and surf here too

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
HEY WTF LOL I'm canadian...
Haha Just kidding I'm not offended. A matter of fact I can almost say All Canadians think being mistaken for americans os funny.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Lets face it, many a nation can gripe about the Americans but why everyone wants to immigrate there?

We do have BBQs, sun and surf here too

Do they? Do they really though? As I know nobody who wants to live there personally. My brother just emigrated to Oz for a few years, that's where the Brits want to be if they do want to leave, but we also have a huge flood of people trying to get into the UK as well.

Don't believe the US is the pinnacle because you have an immigration problem, the whole of the Western world does because, lets face it, life is SO much better in any Western country than, say, Cambodia or the Congo.

EDIT: Just read your an Oz - You're right, you have Sun, BBQ's and hot women on Sky Sports 1 at 0600 doing aerobics.... If it wasn't for the millions of deadly creatures lurking in toilets ready to kill you when taking a dump, I'd come myself!

[edit on 12/8/10 by stumason]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, I'm going to have to ask for a link this time because that's not true. Back that up with info please.

I just provided you the link to the Lieutenant Governor's website which explains clearly the chain of power the Queen has directly over a province. .... also if you are Canadian and I don't know because to me you're just an anonymous username with an avatar... read the BNA Act.... google it and you'll find it. I've already put in a lot of energy... everything I posted is clear. I can only give you what I learned after research. If you want to believe corporate media like CBC and use that as your source go ahead....

[edit on 12-8-2010 by soleprobe]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm an Englishman living in Canada and I think you guys are awesome, but I would say that your accents sound similiar.

Since I've been here I've been mistaken for Australian, Scottish, Irish, and even French (though that one baffles me a bit). I didn't get offended, it takes people a while to zone in on accents, in fact you should probably enjoy the fact they think you're American, because when you correct them they'll be really embarrassed that they insulted you. Then you get them to buy you a drink to make up for it! Job done.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join