It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Variability’ % proves God is the SPECIAL CAUSE, skeptics, why are you ignoring?

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

Thx for explaining the details of manuscript transference....

A great motivation to get it right!

OT

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
....or whether he's actively trying to decieve people on the internet, i just don't know.

Judging by some of his posts...it's the latter.

What does this mean?

OT

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by malcr

this thread is about the probability that there should be 1000's of planets teeming with life.

The fact that there are not is proof of creation.

Are you saying that the lack of proof for one theory means that another theory with no proof is true?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

That's a good point Segador, it may not be either/or...

Where do you shake out now?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by Segador

That's a good point Segador, it may not be either/or...

Where do you shake out now?

I am a Jedi , so far no one is able to prove that my religion is wrong so I choose Jedi.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador

I am a Jedi , so far no one is able to prove that my religion is wrong so I choose Jedi.

May the force be with you

www.amazon.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador

May the force be with you

www.amazon.com...

Don't compare Christianity with Jediism, we are an atheistic religion and don't believe in silly things like god.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Just having a lil fun with ya.....

whooosaaa!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by malcr

this thread is about the probability that there should be 1000's of planets teeming with life.

The fact that there are not is proof of creation.

Question. How do you know there are not ?
Another question. Are you aware of the sheer immensity of "just" our galaxy ?

My preemptive answer. I suspect you are not. (Protip: If each star in "just" our galaxy was a grain of salt..they'd fill an Olympic size swimming pool)

Solution. Read up on cosmology before making such ridiculous and totally unprovable claims.

Always remember absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
There is evidence of evolution, there is none beyond a fairy tale in a book for creation

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Noncompatible

Nc, how as your day? Today was a holiday for me.

I've got a lil time, what was your question a few pages back? That you wanted me to answer...

Thx!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Have you ever seen those slime things that live thousands of ft underground with 0 sunlight or anything that creates liquid similar to battery acid? I've read things that suggest that there might be MORE life underground than their is on the surface! Which would make it possible for life to form on any planet beneath the surface. We have not tested that on any other planet, so for all we know all of the solar system planets might be life bearing.

About the actual topic, in my opinion god is more of a force than an actual entity that you have comfort in knowing he loves you. Think about it, if god was an entity, who created that entity? If he is more of a universal law like gravity, then god would not need to be created like an entity would have been. There is a constant state of creation, cellular division is constantly in action therefore life is constantly created, which would be the "god force"

Every single man-made religion that describes the way god actually is simply can-not be true, every man has their personal agenda, a reason for what they are doing, the creators of said religions KNEW that this brings the people comfort in numbers and was essential for our civilization's evolution in the early times and even to this day, which is why its the only thing we still cling on to from the bronze age.

About the Fermi paradox, if life is rare, say the chances are %0.0001 which is rare enough, that a planet will form cellular life, for every billion stars, there will be 100 that inhabit life, if even 1 of those 100 planets create intelligent life then that means the universe is teaming with intelligent lifeforms by the MILLIONS!

What I find great, is without intelligent beings, there is NO POINT IN ANY OF THE UNIVERSE TO BE IN REAL. Without somebody to observe the beauty of the cosmos, there is no reason for it to even be here! The universe is built to create life, period, which is backed by the fact that you are alive.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

Thank you for your thoughts

OT

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
96% of matter in the universe is dark matter...which we (scientists, etc) don't know what it is...that means, we only know about 4% of the matter that's out there...theres a lot to be learned about this universe.

...this may be irrelevant to this discussion, but the 94/6 types of variation reminded me of this fact that I learned in astronomy.

edit on 10-9-2010 by srahhhhh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Sinter Klaas, Hey!!

I'm not trying to 'argue' with you....have you ever thought about the 94/6 scenario before?

I'm mean should there be life 94 out of 100 times?

Since voyager left our solar system, did it see any...sure it's gotta a ways to go...but it should find some huh?

OT

Not really sure where this 94% is coming from.

But let's see, our solar system, wouldn't even pop up on the radar of how huge out universe is, it not even like 00000.1% of the universe in size, infact some scientist don't know if the universe actually ends, and if if it does end, is this the only universe? or are there billions of others just like there are billions of galaxies?

If we have explored less than like 00000.1% of the universe, how does this 94% even come into the question? We have not explored enough to even answer that question.

Edit: wow I didn't realize this thread was so big! Nice thread mate.

edit on 10-9-2010 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together

On topic: How cruel an existence, so improbable that we have to argue about it for thousands of years…

The thing is tough; with infinite time, improbable things do happen. The chances of winning the lottery are very small, yet someone wins almost every time. With infinite time and endless possibilities, everything is bound to happen sometime. Events will happen again and again. The probability of you or me somehow existing again in distant future is mind bogglingly small, but it might happen!

Moving up a couple of dimensions on a multiverse-level, there might in billions of years, develop a universe almost identical to ours. In billions of years more, a new universe even more similar might develop. This will happen again and again until all the factors that led to your or my existence repeat themselves. On this scale, time stops to be linear and circular, and becomes only circular.

The reason why time is infinite is due to time being a part of existence. It is hard to imagine a moment where nothing existed. Especially considering that nothing can be created from nothing.

Time is, change in matter and energy from one state to another. We measure the rate of this change, and call it time. In our case, the rate of change in the solar system that are caused by energy (gravity) acting on matter (planets).

Someone earlier mentioned time speeding up and down. The rate of change in matter may change due to several reasons. For example an object moving at near-light speeds. However, speed is distance traveled divided by time. And time is the rate of change of matter or energy. So it is not time itself that change, but the objects themselves. Objects traveling at such speed are so “violated” that the rate of internal change is manipulated. The object changes relative to other references. This is called time dilation

Hope some of this made sense…

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I simply do not have the time to fully answer this question...

But you have the time to post a reply to every other post and, as you keep reminding us, you have "over 4k posts"?

Granted it will be my opinion, when I do present...but get this clear young man...I am avoiding nothing....

But you are. Every question asked of you is either (unskillfully) sidestepped or you direct someone to some random video or link.

If really interested I have told you more than once I have 4K posts with reams of OT's research, look away...but let's cut the trashing of 'theists' and 'thumbers'

You have mentioned, on more than one occasion, that you have over 4k posts as if the amount of posts you have is some sort of measure as to how much respect people should give you. But then, you have posted in this thread a few dozen times and not a single one has had any decent information in it.

You may have 4k posts, but I am willing to bet a good proportion of them aren't worth the bandwidth their printed on.

You also shot down someone questioning you based solely on the fact they were a newer member than you, as if the length of time you have been on this site is somehow directly correlated to the validity of one's posts!

For example, you clearly do not understand the size of the Universe as you bang on about "why hasn't voyager found alien life". Well, as stated before me, it has barely left the solar system. That said, scientists believe life exists on at least two planets/moons in this solar system alone and probably more. You willfully ignore reams of evidence that counter almost every argument you have made and then some.

Another good shootdown of your thumping ways is you fallicious argument about water. Recently, scientists discovered an old star that was litterally bathing in superheated steam produced by it's aging core pumping out certain elements and those reacting together due to UV radiation to produce water vapour. Water is everywhere mate and is nothing special in the slightest.

You also claim the moon is "the perfect distance" from the earth. News flash, matey, it is moving away from us and has been since it was created by a planetoid smashing into the young earth billions of years ago. IN a few million years, the moon will be so far away that there will be no more total eclipses on Earth ever again and the tides will get weaker and weaker until they stop altogether.

I've been here on ATS for 5 yrs,

So? By your logic, my opinion is worth more than yours by sheer virtue of me being here for over 6 years. In that case, I command you to stop this nonsense, because I am clearly superior as I have been a member for 1 year more than you!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Not really sure where this 94% is coming from.

But let's see, our solar system, wouldn't even pop up on the radar of how huge out universe is, it not even like 00000.1% of the universe in size, infact some scientist don't know if the universe actually ends, and if if it does end, is this the only universe? or are there billions of others just like there are billions of galaxies?

If we have explored less than like 00000.1% of the universe, how does this 94% even come into the question? We have not explored enough to even answer that question.

Edit: wow I didn't realize this thread was so big! Nice thread mate.

94% has to do with systems and variability

Every system has variation; some of this is due to the system itself, known as common cause variation; some of it is due to singular incidents or special situations; this is special cause variation. In his book, Out of the Crisis (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1982), W. Edwards Deming estimated that 94 percent of problems (or possibilities for improvement) lie with the system as common-cause variation; 6 percent are special causes.

More: www.qualitydigest.com...

I'm carrying the theory out to the solar 'system'

Yeah the thread grew quick and big...lots of interest...thank you!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by srahhhhh
96% of matter in the universe is dark matter...which we (scientists, etc) don't know what it is...that means, we only know about 4% of the matter that's out there...theres a lot to be learned about this universe.

...this may be irrelevant to this discussion, but the 94/6 types of variation reminded me of this fact that I learned in astronomy.

edit on 10-9-2010 by srahhhhh because: (no reason given)

no it is not irrelevent...thank you...if the universe is 96% black matter..that means it is a consistent 'system' and only backs my point and nullifies the 'sample size' rebuttal due to the central limit theorem...sweet post friend

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frostmore
reply to post by Segador

Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together

On topic: How cruel an existence, so improbable that we have to argue about it for thousands of years…

The thing is tough; with infinite time, improbable things do happen.

Duct tape, funny...thx!

But seriously...Is time "infinite?" Or outside it?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Whew stumason,

Thanks so very much for taking all that TIME to go through the thread...your opinion is always welcome. I'll agree to disagree, btw, I did answer him so the point is a tad misleading, but no biggie

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join