It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the roles were reversed, there would be HELL to pay!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Get this; a Christian school has fired all of its Catholic staff, some of whom have been employed at that school for 22 years because of doctrinal differences.

If Catholics had done this to Protestant or (gasp) non-christian staff the MSM would be all over them, screaming "discrimination" and "hypocrisy"!

Teachers at Corona religious school dismissed for incompatible beliefs

Differences in religious belief and biblical interpretation have led a Corona Christian school to dismiss four teachers and seven other employees.

The move spurred some parents to pull their children out of the school and others to defend what they see as a move to protect their kids from spiritually harmful influences.

Supporters of the dismissed employees say the school took an uncompassionate and un-Christian approach by firing staff members for non-performance related reasons during a severe recession.

"To me, it feels like religious cleansing," said the Rev. John Saville, rector of St. John's Episcopal Church in Corona, where fired elementary teacher Marylou Goodman is a parishioner.

When hired, employees signed a "statement of faith" that summarizes Crossroads' beliefs. Several fired employees said they saw nothing in the statement they disagreed with. But Crossroads believes that the employees "weren't living out" the statement, Booher said.

Long said he had never heard of any complaints of Catholic or other non-evangelical beliefs being introduced into the classroom.

Read more: The Press Enterprise

For what horrible crimes were these staff fired?

“Crossroads is not anti-Catholic, said the Rev. Chuck Booher, senior pastor of the church,” according to the Press-Enterprise’s account of the firings. “But some fundamental Catholic beliefs and practices -- such as praying to saints and the belief that the wine and wafer in communion become Christ's blood and body -- are not in line with Crossroads' teachings, he said.”

California Catholic Daily

A Lutheran was permitted to remain after undergoing full body immersion baptism.

Of course, there are legal questions involved. Some believe a school can only apply religious-belief requirements to religious education classes.

Nothing to see here folks, just another example of anti-Catholic bigotry...

[edit on 8/11/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I don't think I would see a problem with such a school not employing staff with incompatible views, in either direction.

Where the school put itself in the wrong, I'm inclined to think, is by employing them and then firing them.
If they were compatible enough to be employed in the first place, they should have stayed employed.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I agree, DISRAELI. If their beliefs didn't conflict before, what has changed? Is there a new board or governance? It would seem to be more a political move than spiritual.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If the school didn't look into the private lives and backgrounds of every employee, then this is certainly an anti-Catholic conspiracy.

Do I think it should be legally actionable? If they had a contract, then yes. If they had at-will employment, then no.

They are walking down a very slippery slope here. What about employees who are members of their faith but don't tithe enough? Or have gotten divorces? Or any of a hundred other things that can be construed as going against Christianity as they define it?

Eric

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD
If the school didn't look into the private lives and backgrounds of every employee, then this is certainly an anti-Catholic conspiracy.

NB, though, not all the victims are Catholics.
The story mentions an Episcopalian,and a Lutheran who kept her job only by going through immersion-baptism.
So it seems more anti-nonBaptists.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Fort Buddy...

The move spurred some parents to pull their children out of the school and others to defend what they see as a move to protect their kids from spiritually harmful influences.

Holy Hypocrisy...yes, let's pull our kids out so only we can taint them.

A Lutheran was permitted to remain after undergoing full body immersion baptism.

What a sell out - and the proverbial line goes, There are no atheists in a fox-hole...apparently the faithful can't be found in there either.

But hey, at least that individual got a bath.

*edit for llingpse

[edit on 11-8-2010 by facelift]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Good point.

I was swayed by the specific statements about Catholics by the Reverend.

Eric

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

That's true, there were other faiths affected.

My point is; if Catholics had done this, we'd be hearing about nothing but the story on the news because they just can't resist an opportunity for Catholic bashing.

So far, this story has only been reported in the local news and a few Catholic sites. I highly doubt the national MSM will pick up this story.

new topics

top topics

join