It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Mecca clock seeks to call time on Greenwich

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Giant Mecca clock seeks to call time on Greenwich

www.telegraph.co. uk

But now the supremacy of Greenwich Mean Time is being challenged by a gargantuan new clock being built in Mecca, by which the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims could soon be setting their watches.

Due to start ticking on Thursday as the faithful begin fasting during the month of Ramadan, the timepiece sits atop the Royal Mecca Clock Tower which dominates Islam’s holiest city.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It is expected that the 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide will set their watches to the clock in Mecca. Is there a reasoning for this colossal constuction feat or is it a way for the Islamic world to stir up more contention in the world?

I know it's just a clock demand that Mecca be the Prime Meridian instead of Greenwich is going a little too far.

You've got to admit though. It is a pretty target.

www.telegraph.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

While they are at it perhaps they can get the world to use keyboards other than the inefficient QWERTY layout.

================================================

It would take more than a few Islamic scholars and a hotel manager to shift the current standard.

But Islamic scholars hope the clock’s influence will stretch far further than the sands of Saudi Arabia, as part of a plan for Mecca to eclipse the Greenwich Observatory as the “true centre of the earth”.
-
As Mohammed al-Arkubi, manager of one of the hotels in the complex, put it: "Putting Mecca time in the face of Greenwich Mean Time. This is the goal."

link
If a devout Muslim wishes to set his watch by Mecca time so be it - just be prepared to do the necessary arithmetic to make that appointment on time.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

If a devout Muslim wishes to set his watch by Mecca time so be it - just be prepared to do the necessary arithmetic to make that appointment on time.

If there were continually late for work and got fired because the infidels used non-Mecca time , they'd just claim a religious exemption. The sad thing is, in America, they'd win.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think that the buddists and hindus need to put up a clock as well.

Really now, this muslim dominance thing is not going to end well.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
Already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wow. Thank you.

We get three words of your original content as input. Way to reach deep and contribute something meaningful.

On Topic....it is funny the silly little diversions that cultures take up. A society that feel marginalized constantly trying to pad its own ego by trying to seize relevance. They fail to realize that you cannot demand respect.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

well...good luck to them with that.

But it wont be an acceptable excuse to be late to work

Go by your own time, but you better be on time, by my time, or we have no time for you.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
All this is is an example of a truly pathetic attempt to get the thicker side of non-muslims riled against their plans to "call time on Greenwich".

What a stupid headline/title. The MSM hold no shame.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Cant help but feel that the clock was built not to "call time on greenwich" but rather, to give a more accure time for opening and closing there fasts for ramadam.
Considering that Mecca is the muslim religious capital, it would make sense to set atleast ONE clock so your opening and closing your fasts at the specific times?
I dont think any of muslim would be backwards enough to set all there clocks and starts missing appointments/work etc.

Its just a clock

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Erm this isn't backward muslim domination - it's for ramadan. Which has just started. There is probably no need for it though.

I just started fasting today for the first time in three years.. I'm already dying.

top topics

join