It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police say man wearing burqa robs Md. bank

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Police say man wearing burqa robs Md. bank

www.google.com

SILVER SPRING, Md. — Montgomery County police said a man wearing a burqa robbed a bank in Silver Spring. Police said the man who robbed a TD Bank branch on Briggs Chaney Road about 4:20 p.m. Tuesday was wearing a "long black burqa over his face." He also wore jeans and tan boots.

Authorities said the man showed a gun and demanded money. He took an undetermined amount of money and fled.

Police said the man spoke with what they described as "a Middle Eastern accent." They say a silver car, possibly a Chevrolet, was seen leaving the scene.

The FBI also is helping with the investiga
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
voices.washingtonpost.com
www.delmarvanow.com

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The article didn't mention anything about anyone getting harmed, which I'm relieved of, and with that said, this is almost comical if you think about it.

First of all, a burqa hides the identity of the wearer yet it's legal becuse of religious beliefs and second the guy had a "Middle Eastern accent."

Americans will spit upon Christian values but welcome the values of Muslims.

What's really funny is that the guy had an accent decribed as Middle Eastern which is very easy to copy even for a white guy. "Make up. Burqa. Accent and action!"

How would an investigation get around this without pulling out the ole "racial profiling" tactic?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Although I cannot say with certainty what ethnicity the bank robber was, I can say that it really doesn't matter, they are a criminal.

This being said, the main headline around Baltimore is the burqa. The bigotry already started on some local news websites where one woman posted "the burqa is a symbolism of terrorism". Her name, appropriately, "Maryland Mom".

Knee-jerk reactions like the example above and headlines that almost only read "Burqa" have become almost common for me, and its disgusting. I wish the story headline concentrated on the facts: "Bank Robbed in Silver Spring".

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." --Thomas Paine, in First Principles of Government (1795)

So what? A hood hides the identity too, yet those aren't illegal. You don't need to start making pieces of clothing illegal to feel safe, rather you just need to allow poeple to arm and ultimately protect themselves.

So what if I want to hide my face? I should be allowed to do so, as long as I'm not hurting anyone.

"Whoever shall trade a little liberty for a little percieved security, deserves neither and will lose both." --Ben Franklin

--airspoon

[edit on 11-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Probably a police persons friends, and they will frame some innocent person over it like they normally do while protecting the real criminals the police.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Quick ban the burqa!

Didn't a guy in the US like last year walk into his family home at Christmas and murder nine people with a machine gun?

articles.latimes.com...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.nowpublic.com...

Better get on the Santa costume ban too. Let's face it you can commit a crime in any item of clothing no reason to ban it. I think this might actually be the only time this has ever happened.

"Americans will spit upon Christian values but welcome the values of Muslims. "

Really? Come on man. At least we know what side your bread is buttered on...

Edit to add;

"it's legal becuse of religious beliefs"

It's legal because it's just an item of clothing, I think you'll find it is not protected under freedom of religious expression or anything else.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

Yeah that was my first thought as well.

It was probably a white guy that made his own burqa and listened to "welcome to 7 eleven" or "your daughter kicked my dog" over and over again.

I can do a very convincing middle eastern accent.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We can only hope that the suspect was wearing the same burqa when his driver's license photo was taken.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I'm glad no one here is yet jumping on the evil burqa crap. That's the weakest argument against a burqa - that someone can rob a bank with one
Seems a strange thing to concentrate on, but I suppose the burqa is for women, not men.

Slightly off-topic, but I'd like to point out that even makeup can be a damn good disguise. I've seen pictures of models without makeup and they look absolutely nothing like they do with it. I met a woman today even who I normally see in makeup; she wasn't wearing any and I nearly walked right past her. Even when she called me I didn't know who the hell she was! So it's not like without the burqa, people like this will think "well how the hell am I going to rob a bank now? Oh well, I'll get a job." Rant complete.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Now only if there was a person there that had a gun.

Jeez, whodathought 30 years ago today, I'd be sitting ere drinkin Chatteau De Chantilly wine.

One well placed round would have solved all the problems.

Don't ya think?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tyrannyispeace

Yes, let's become like the government and kill people over money. Let's put a bullet in his head because he wanted some bits of paper.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Seems ther are statutes in RICO that could be applied to this.....why not use them? This pc nonsense is ridiculous......no not aall people wearing burquas are terrorists, however, we can't wear a hat or sunglasses in our bank....why the bending over backwards for others? Prosecute this person under RICO and see what happens...will the ACLU take up a rights case......I think not.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
And people want to know why France is outlawing the Burqa. This is a good example of why, it could cause problems. How the hell would you identify a criminal?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Be more worried about that burqua then the gun.
Guns don't kill people burquas do...

The fact that a guy was wearing the burqua should have tipped someone off.

People will perish for lack of knowledge.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

lmao!!

too funny!

that's why the burka should not be used, btw it is not religious people it's cultural.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

Sorry, how does defending one's property or life got ANYTHING to do with government?

Oh wait, you think government is their to protect you.

Tell me, do you understand that government CANNOT provide for you what they do not steal from you or others first?

Defense is a personal responsibility.

Take a look at how much crime happens in Switzerland and get back to me. Or in such places where the citizens are armed. Oppposite, look at Chicago right now. They are asking for national guard to patrol the streets. Yeah, taking guns away from the citizenry REALLY works. Pfffft.

If a person is a true criminal, what the hell do I care if someone sends them to meet their final judgement. At least in THAT situation, there would be no qualms about them not being the criminal. So no problem with convicting the wrong person, and no get out of jail free card after 2 years.

PLEASE.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
All the banks in my area have signs posted stating that you must remove anything covering your face. I guess I thought this was kind of a general rule. Why is it not?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

There is no place in Western society for the Burqa. In fact, the Burqa should be barred from all nations.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Quick ban the burqa!

It's legal because it's just an item of clothing, I think you'll find it is not protected under freedom of religious expression or anything else.
In some places it's NOT legal, to wear any costume which hides the face, with a Halloween exception in some places. New York's law is interesting because whether it's legal to wear a burqa or other mask depends on how many people with the masks congregate:

Appeals court allows N.Y. anti-mask law

If the judge's decision had been upheld, members of the group (KKK) would have been able to hide their identities by wearing hoods and masks at New York rallies.

www.nlgnyc.org...

New York's anti-mask law criminalizes the wearing of masks or disguises by three or more persons in a public place unless done in connection with a “masquerade party or like entertainment,” after obtaining a permit to wear masks from the police or other appropriate authorities.

Ban the Burqa by Pat Condell (I guess he agrees with you it should be banned):

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i figured this was going to happen..i ran across a couple burqa wearing women
recently at the local thrift store..i'll say it again- it dont fly with me.
i wouldnt let a burqa in my store. are they devote muslims or shoplifters/bandits?
If i go to a muslim country i am bound by their customs -true?
i'm accustom to seeing someones face - and i interpret masked faces as
a potential threat. keep your hands where i can see 'em. don't make any sudden moves..no- dont come trick or treating around my door.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by p51mustang]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join