It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of online banking customers have accounts emptied by 'most dangerous trojan virus ever cr

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
good thing i have absolutely no money then

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Is it KeePass? KeePass is great and its open source. Unfortunately I have seen some take advantage of this and compile it with a different name and then sell it for $15.

The bad news is that just copying the password each time still puts it in plain text on the buffer/clip board, however the is the option for KeePass to put your password in the field for you so it stays secure.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Well, I know it's possible to obtain someone's ip address through their email. You can do a lot with someone's ip.
You can also make someone inadvertently download malicious software through an email.
I couldn't do it but someone with a little more experience in this sort of thing might be able to.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This post reminded me of something I read back in June.

"Just so you know, there will be a cover story about a virulent computer virus which will necessitate the banks of the world closing (for about three days?). When these re-open it will be back to the 1930s where depositors must prove why they need their money. The more things change, the more things stay the same. Just remember I told you so."

www.henrymakow.com...

I didn't give it a lot of credence at the time but now I'm not so sure.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by KilIuminati

The entire banking system is networked not just personal computers. If they can hack into your account on your personal computer they can certainly hack into your banks server. This is the nature of the beast.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Every time I log into internet banking or try to make a transaction, they send me a text message with password I have to enter. Relying only on one unchanging password is not enough..

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I always worry about internet banking but its easier and for one of my accounts I get charged a fee using an ATM. So I either do it online or go to a teller. I did it to protect myself from taking money from it but now I'm worried to do banking.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

The fraudsters used a malicious computer programme that hides on home computers to steal confidential passwords and account details from at least 3,000 people.

Are they saying this is not traceable? Where the money went?

I'm still in confusion, even if the passwords and account details were stolen, the money have to go somewhere, or at least transactions must be made online, this can easily be tracked down.

I don't get how the haven't tracked the person behind this yet?

Or have they?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Are they saying this is not traceable? Where the money went?

I'm still in confusion, even if the passwords and account details were stolen, the money have to go somewhere, or at least transactions must be made online, this can easily be tracked down.

I don't get how the haven't tracked the person behind this yet?
Or have they?

Mules are used. Here's some brief info as an example only:

Money mules are generally recruited by bank thieves through job advertisements or other means, and are told they are needed for a work-at-home project to help overseas companies transfer money quickly. It’s not always clear if the mules know that they’re helping to facilitate a crime, but security blogger Brian Krebs says that most of the mules he’s interviewed have been truly clueless about the nature of what they were doing, or needed the work badly to simply refrain from asking too many questions of their recruiters.

Read More www.wired.com...

brill

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Well I am getting suspicious of this company that did the analysis. What "security" company is going to do an analysis on an exe file with a version of software that is 4 versions behind the current version, and then claim that it didn't catch the file?

Answer: A company that wants to sell you software that they have an interest in. I am calling BS on this stupid company right now.

They themselves may be the virus creators.

The company is legit. I know of them personally and have ties to them professionally without getting into too many details.

brill

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
IN it convenient .the gov anounces scrutiny of all bank accounts with people claiming benefits ,,saying they are looking for people with more money and other income and lifestyles higher than what they are awarded..????
then a virus .. happs 2 days after come on i bet lots of these are people who follow the NWO agenda had stuff to hide and now there details are gone as they had to wipe everything to kill virus.which was a new type very sophisticated..
i dont buy it ... watch out people ,,if you got a few gifts from an aunt or won the GG,S... mama died. you had a little windfall ..then they will do the workers like self employed... you watch... first it was thehandicapped ,then the jews,then the unions then the catholics ..remeber the poem about hitlers reich...
well first it was the unemployed then thesick. then the self employed then the house owners.then the land owners,then the factory owners???

[edit on 8/12/2010 by dashar]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by L0veBuZz.mRh

Does that work on webmail? As the e-mail is sent from somewhere other than your machine. Also, if your savvy you won't go opening attachments or the like from unknown people. Also, I personally turn off my modem every night when I go to bed, it's part of the Mrs's OCD nature of being scared of things starting fires. Every time I do this, my IP is refreshed.

It is telling that only 3,000 people out of the millions who bank online have been "compromised".

That sounds like about the right sort of number when working out how many morons are out there, such as responding to "e-mails" from your "bank" asking you to send them your details as they "lost them!

I get mails like this all the time in my junk inbox. I ignore them, but there are bound to be some idiots out there who will happily send all their info on an e-mail to Nigeria then bitch about how they got fleeced.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The everyday person is not that smart when it comes to passwords.

Most password protected systems have guidelines in them these days to use a combination of letters, numbers, upper/lower case and at least 8 characters long, most will not accept the passwords unless these conditions are met.

I have found that the majority of people will start their password with a number, or end with a number and only keep the password the 8 characters long with the first letter only capitalized.

How do I know this, I work as a DBA for a large company in which I have to visit the desks of individuals while training them for new systems and attached right to their monitors are post-it notes with a list of their passwords and the systems they are for and some even have their online banking passwords there as well.

If these people had their account hacked into, they would be the first ones complaining and asking “How did it happen?”

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Is this a real trojan? Sounds like one of those viruses that will wipe out your hard drive, destroy your RAM, take your wife, take your wallet, etc, etc...

Anyway, my money is safe. Converted to 1/10 oz of gold pieces and I keep it under my pillow for safe keeping. No hacker will ever get it...

Wait... Oh no... The tooth fairy took my gold....

Seriously though, kinda scary how your own computer can be used against you in these days...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xadaz
Download malwarebytes onto a usb from another computer and rename it, try running it in safe mode on infected PC? You probably would've tried this or something similar though..

Bah you beat me to it
Also renaming it to a .bat works for those pesky viruses that stop .exe's from running, or renaming it to explorer.exe works the majority of the time. They're generally not set to shutdown explorer.exe for obvious reasons
Avast Antivirus is another good free antivirus I'd recommend.

We've (where I work) yet to encounter the trojan in the OP in customers PC's, the majority we see are the Fake Antiviruses, sysguard, vundo etc. People have got the infection most of the time through peer to peer such as Limewire, "dodgy sites" or just generally being clicky-happy with popups on sites.

As long as you keep your AV up to date backed up by Anti Malware progams, do regular scans, don't use IE and don't look at sites you shouldn't
there's little reason that you should get infected imho.

- Phoenix

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Sorry but this sounds like total BS to me. Not giving the name of the bank seems ridiculous, and makes me think there is no credibility to this story. I've always believed that these news stories about 'super viruses' are engineered to facilitate the sale of Antivirus and Internet Security software. It's interesting, also, how Norton and McAfee have a 30% off promotion running on their AV and IS software right now.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AllseeingEYE

McAfee is just pants anyway and Norton, because it's in the public eye, tends to get targeted and can get hijacked, I've seen it happen. I recently tested one of Norton's new free programs on an old laptop of mine I'd purposefully infected, I decided to give Norton the benefit of the doubt, I also ran Malware Bytes as a comparision.

- Malware Bytes took about 30 minutes to scan and found 669 instances of infection.

- Norton tool too 1 hour 20 minutes to scan and found .... nothing, absolutely nothing, as far as it was concerned the laptop was clean of infection.

Norton program: It's cleeeean aren't I good

Me: Um, are you sure? Don't you think you might want to double check?
Norton program: Nope, nope, it's perfectly clean and safe

Me: But what about all those registry changes? Those infected files?
Norton program: *sweeps them under a rug* Don't know what you mean >.> No infection!

Me: *headdesk*

- Phoenix

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllseeingEYE
Sorry but this sounds like total BS to me. Not giving the name of the bank seems ridiculous, and makes me think there is no credibility to this story. I've always believed that these news stories about 'super viruses' are engineered to facilitate the sale of Antivirus and Internet Security software. It's interesting, also, how Norton and McAfee have a 30% off promotion running on their AV and IS software right now.

Most businesses don't want their dirty laundry aired in public, especially financial institutions. We only see a fraction of the real problems, most is hidden so that the general population sleeps well at night.

brill

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllseeingEYE
Sorry but this sounds like total BS to me. Not giving the name of the bank seems ridiculous, and makes me think there is no credibility to this story.

I think you are correct, afterall, this is sourced from dailymail. Until i see it reported somewhere else more credible i will take this to be complete BS.

Why so many people on here use dailymail as a news source is beyond me....

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
4. never download from limewire or programs like it.
most websites on the web infect computers. its so common now in days u need to weekly scan with antivirus

5. hackers will pose as anyone. always make sure its official. legit

6. never have any sexual images of yourself. when the hacker connects . they have access to any file. news reports show that some hackers blackmail their victims in threat of relesing the images to their friends and family

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join