It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of online banking customers have accounts emptied by 'most dangerous trojan virus ever cr

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
STOP THE INTERNET @

since the government cant offer a training so people learn how to use the internet

lets be real, most of these virus are get by people who want to do illegal things

or because stupid mistakes

lets be real, its not easy to learn how to navigate in a safe well ... people need training

some people, even today, believe if they record a sexual video, it would be private

other people think if they go to stream websites, they can do anything without being recorded

for u to learn in the hard way, in these cases, is tough @ lol

-

you dont need to do anything with the internet, you just need to teach these people how to use it ...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Oh, you are talking about malware..
ooops sorry, I thought this was a thread about the IRS...
The trojan horse that hacked the United States and ransacked every ones bank accounts.
Well, I guess that's malware

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
In my opinion, this is why computer programming needs to replace something in our educational system...

There is something wrong with the fact that programming started in the fifties and many people are just now starting to recognize it as a viable 'language'...

So many people have had a head start as to make the implementation of a global internet a mass negligence on their part...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I have the best safeguard for this.

Don't do banking on line.

And if you are doing banking on line keep all your banking information on a thumb drive and not your hard drive.
Then you only plug in the thumb drive when you are doing banking business.,
For dummies, can you explain the steps to do this? or tell me what to google so I can find out how to do this? Thanks. I have a thumb drive just dont know what to do with it. (xmas gift.)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Maybe not really "replace" as much as should be "added" to our educational system, along with many other things that are left out. In my opinion, the American school system is waaaay too easy and lacking in real substance.

I agree that since technology has become such a big part of life, it seems insane to not teach children the basics of how to get around in the new world in a place where they are supposed to learn how to function in society.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
i dont trust banks and i dont trust the internet literlay money goes into my account and comes striaght out of the whole in the wall (always cheking for a loop before i insert. or false fasad) and into my poket. they are always trying to convince you there systems are safe, be it the net, chip and pin or anything else they throw at you. when in reality thats not the case. ever heard the saying "were theres a will, theres a way" well criminals have and there will always be away to part you from the green stuff. no such thing as a sure bet.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by danielhanson420]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Its not possible for a Trojan to do this from your computer....

it would require a hacker to go directly into the main Banking Mainframe and introduce a worm that can break a highly secured algorythime encrypted code...

Which means if someone did hack, it would have to be from inside the bank... preferrably directly into their hardware.

Why is this true... because even if you have online banking you would have to go through the bank and change their software (Basically through banking Hardware Central) in order to do this.

Now here is the alternative

What the trojan can do is be lodged into your computer and save your username and password and then once you no longer log in, it relays that info to an unknown source and they transfer out money from your account to an unknown Account....

Most likely a Nigerian or Spanish Account

Best example is the movie Swordfish

Best Regards

Fox

[edit on 8/11/2010 by FoxStriker]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
More details are surfacing:

Phase one of the attack used the Eleonore Exploit Kit and the Phoenix Exploit Kit to load Zeus onto compromised machines through a battery of browser and application-based vulnerabilities and drive-by download attacks. The main attack revolved around the use of version 3 of Zeus to steal money from online bank accounts.

Version 3 of Zeus is focused on stealing the login credentials of online bank accounts. Older versions also snaffled user names and passwords for social networking sites and online services as well as online banking credentials.

Version 3 also differs from its predecessors in the use of encrypted tunnel (HTTPS) in communicating back to the command and control servers.

source

The article outlines specifics used by M86 but what I found intriguing was that they actually exploited an associated command and control server.

They then used exploits to break into the poorly-secured system where they found logs recording the activity of compromised bank accounts.

Regardless of their intentions this doesn't seem right. I don't believe a private company has the legal right to break into other systems without consent to justify their case. Law enforcement should be brought into play (which they did do eventually) and then directed accordingly. Seems odd.

The banks themselves, in this case, are not the problem, its the imbeciles operating home computers. I use online banking heavily, its simple, time saving and extremely convenient.

brill

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Well there is a major sting going on as we speak, especially among dump forums if you know what i mean.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Anyone else think this has been created to get people wanting MORE security for the internet?

2nd line

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Here are some basic precautions to prevent you becoming a victim of these types of things.

Don't open any emails if you are not sure where they are from. If an email claims it is from your bank, ignore it and go to the banks website yourself. NEVER click a link in an email that goes to your bank, i don't care if it appears genuine, don't be lazy, open a browser and type the address.

Download an antivirus (from the manufacturers website no pirated rubbish), AVG is free and reasonably decent, keep it updated daily. Be warned that pirated antivirus software and operating systems open have hidden surprises in them.

Install a decent browser, i suggest firefox.

Download the "cookie monster" addon and set it to reject all cookies unless you specifically allow them.

Download "Better privacy" addon and set it to remove any and all flash cookies it finds and any new ones that appear.

Download "Ad blocker" and i would also suggest "flashblock" but that's a personal preference. It does make things more secure but some people don't like it.

Do not allow form data to be saved on your banks website, so usernames/numbers are not stored for any important website, this includes ecommerce sites.

Finally use the onscreen keyboard which is built into windows. If you don't know what this is basically it puts a keyboard on the screen and you click the letters. This can help to prevent keylogging.

All basic stuff to prevent this happening to you. Some banks also provide a secure dongle, this generates a random code each time you want to log into your account. Hopefully more banks will do this soon.

There are other ways to keep things secure but this is a basic starting guide that should do for most people.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Tell me most accounts aren't screwed with TPTB - We are being screwed with tp the einth degree.
It's all a matter of bull shi$.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
tips to keep in mind from st0n3 2k10

1.never give ur password to anyone. except for the main site

2.always delete emails with account information pws and so on. put it down on paper or a device not connected to the net

3.make sure your password is never a word. use differnt characters and make it big as possible. longer the safetier from being cracked by a program

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
why wont they just release the name of the bank? it would help out with the worrying!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

Well it appears as if since the Bankers can no longer charge their exorbitant overdraft fees they are simply Taking the LOOT right out of customers accounts !

While I don't agree with the bankers, they didn't FORCE you to take or use the overdraft.

It's YOUR choice to use the overdraft, and they advertise the fees everywhere. It's not like the fees are hidden.

You use the overdraft, you pay the fees. Simple as that. You don't wanna pay the fees, don't use the overdraft.

It's pretty simple math. Not much use complaining about fees they charge for services you use at YOUR choice.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilIuminati
tips to keep in mind from st0n3 2k10

1.never give ur password to anyone. except for the main site

2.always delete emails with account information pws and so on. put it down on paper or a device not connected to the net

3.make sure your password is never a word. use differnt characters and make it big as possible. longer the safetier from being cracked by a program

Why even give out the main site?

My bank doesn't even let you store your password in your computer. They have a double password system - the first password is a set string of characters, the second password is also a set password, but it asks you to input different characters out of the word each time you log in, rather than the full password.

If you miss a set, then the characters asked for change the next time you login. Stops all those "brute force" attempts to hack the passwords.

Even if there is a trojan on your computer recording key strokes, they only get the three random letters out of the whole word, not the whole word at once. It's a much more secure system.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I just don't see how this is possible.

I would understand if this was a trojan that was hitting multiple banks by stealing this info but the fact it was a trojan that was made to steal the info from people and only be used at one bank in the Uk? It seems you would have a very low percentage of success in infecting people that all used the same bank in a general region and I would assume use the same browsers. If you infect like 1 out every 100 people that your trojan comes across and then that person needs to use a certain bank, I don't think you would come up with enough people for it to sound like the article states for the quantity infected.

So.... whats the real point of this?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Personally, I find it amazing that people fill out those "apply for a pre approved credit card now" things that they get in the mail, and fill out all their personal information.

Just because it LOOKS like it comes from the bank, doesn't mean that it's an official application.

People blindly fill them out, send them back pre paid postage, and wonder why they never hear back.

It's an easy way for fraudsters to obtain ALL your credit information they need to steal your identity, and your the one who filled out the form and provided all that info to them!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
this is of course is the conspiracy theorist in me but I think this is convenient timing. We have all been hearing more and more about internet crackdowns and now talk from the Google CEO about online "anonymity" this is perfectly timed for a big "I told you so" from the MSM to make people think it is a good idea.....who knows though. Maybe they will find out it was some guys in a basement somewhere hacking code.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Yay ActiveX! The single biggest exploitable system in Internet Explorer and Windows since forever and its never changed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join