It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Virtual Is Your Reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
How much of your daily interaction is spent via a computer or other electronic communication device?
How much of that is with other people whom you have actually met face to face?
How much time do you spend on social networks, especially with those whom you met online?
Reality check..I mean virtual reality check.
The world around us has gone digital...everything has a website..most have an email, facebook, or other similar communication tool.
The advent of twitter gives us real time updates with no actual voice communication, just typed in letters.
We are distancing ourselves from each other, slowly but surely..
We connect via skype, and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We don't see the damage our modern technology is causing our species.
Even in our own homes..our children , our spouses, are there physically, but more often than not, not mentally. They are chatting through IM, playing Facebook applications, etc.
Our reality, is no longer real.
How long before we realize most of it is gone? Is it too late already?
Did we help create this monster, or do the TPTB have us right where they want us? Keep us entertained by an alternate life, so the slight of hand is less noticeable.
Go online..be whomever you want. Create a new identity, new life, new friends..NEW REALITY. Do everything, be everything you haven't accomplished in life.
Wanna attract a member of the opposite sex? Go to a dating site..fake a profile and voila'!
Always wanted to kick some ass like a superhero? Be an online keyboard warrior. Nobody will really know you live in mom's basement.
A duplicate or triplicate life is soo easy. After all..who online will you really ever meet face to face?
THAT is a reality check.
We are not digital..
Our brains are being trained to only be stimulated by that which IS digital.
We are disconnecting, unplugging, from that which is REAL.
Do like your momma told you to do..go outside and play.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/8/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Everyday I use a computer. Everyday I carry my cell phone. This is the extent of my virtual use. I've seen worse examples, like my friend who has his face buried in his PDA, but if thats what he wants to do, so be it. Technology has made things easier for us, but its true that its eroding away personal interaction. I have relatives complaining to me that I am not on Facebook, I say, if you want to talk to me just pick up the phone and call!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
way too much time!!!

im stuck in a lil village, no work, and i need to sort a my driving licence out. so, for me its how i keep in contact with everyone, but, it turns into an addiction from what i can see, and have experienced!!

facebook is more like snoop book
myspace is full of rubbish music and advertising

yet i still log on.

mar facebook with VR and youd have the most addictive game on earth.

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
when you start to think about it, i use it a lot....
I spend many times on internet, reading my mails, checking facebook, checking ATS and many more sites, writing fo some sites, play some games, console (PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 as part of my job)
i use stuff like photoshop, vegas, after effects, flash, toonboom bender and so on

then occasionally we swatch movies on tele trough PC... OMG...

I hacve to add, we have a family, and when others have time in the evening to get out or visit some friends, we are stuck @ home... There are of course times when the pc stays out and no games are being played :p

still....

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
.... disconnected from the real? lmao ha funny sheeple dont know we are living in a simulation

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
thank god im unplugged from ur so called reality. what makes u think ur not a pixel urself op? the entire universe is digital. from the stars to the dirt u walk on. u think because u can smell. touch and feel that its real? lmao. i can feel and touch in my dreams as well

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think this highlights a real, but subtle, problem. I take issue with a lot of this sort of stuff. Like online friends or connections are thought of as real. Personally, I don't want to talk to anyone over a long period of time when there isn't a way to actually meet. Some people are fine putting the time into it but it doesn't make sense imo.

I heard someone talking about how when he plays xbox online, none of his "internet friends" talk to him, but they all talk to each other. He was distressed by this, which is slightly ridiculous considering even if you did have internet friends....what exactly does that fix?

Or even with boyfriends/girlfriends, I think it's almost harmful to interact too much through technology. You hangout, get home, and get on some chat software for the rest of the night, isn't it too much? Then you add them to facebook, and 10 other sites... but maybe it works for some.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
ive had internet friends still do. met them years ago in a aol chatroom. the room died and we still keep connected on myspace. i have a gf irl and i have a gf online. whats wrong with that. my online girl stays in china. we meet up daily in a virtual world. chat . share thoughts. its 2010 times change

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
KilIuminati-
YOU are the epitome of my case in point.

top topics

join