It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toyota halts all shipments to Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Toyota halts all shipments to Iran

www.leftlanenews.com

As Iran continues to move forward developing nuclear technology believed to be intended for military use by the United States and the United Nations, Toyota has announced that it will halt all shipments of vehicles into Iran – observing international sanctions.

Toyota’s announcement to halt the shipment of any vehicles to Iran was made from Tokyo by spokesman Keisuke Kirimoto, saying, “It is true Toyota has stopped exports of vehicles bound for Iran,” according to CNN. “We plan to continue to closely monitor this sensitive international situation.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/8/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
so now toyota is getting behind the sanctions what percentage of vehilces in iran are toyota's what effect do you (ats) think this is gonna have on iran? will this prevent them from getting parts etc

i dobut this is related to the japanese tanker but some might take it as such

does any one think this will have a sever economic effect against iran or is this just more posturing

and while i read through it it didnt say if it was JAPAN doing it or if it was an independent effort on toyotas part think this should be enough comments to get it posted now!

www.leftlanenews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-8-2010 by KilrathiLG]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/8/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
To be honest if I were Ahmadinejad I wouldn't mind all of these sanctions, as it would encourage the whole country of Iran to start producing their own cars, their own fuel, their own energy and be self sufficient.

Bring on the sanctions buddy!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As I understand it, if they start driving Volgas (Волга), they're completely screwed. Don't they like Toyota 4-runners out in those parts?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
After all the recalls Toyota has had I think Iran brakes even

Fox

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Erm...if that was indeed in the sanctions how is the fact they're observing the sanctions news? Is every company observing the sanctions going to announce it as news? lol

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
sorry next time ill just make a thread with all the individual companies that are imposing sanctions so they will all be listed so they dont each get there own thread my bad i just figured with there recent recalls they would be trying to get as much money as possible

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Not a reflection on you at all. You just posted the story. I just thought it was kinda cute in an ironic sort of way that they announced it and that it made news.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Has Toyota really halted shipments to Iran?

Or was the cargo ship just unable to come to a stop at the port?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by citizen smith]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
perhaps an opportunity for general motors and ford?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ship all the refurbished toyotas with the faulty or damaged brake pedals to them! LOL!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Erm...if that was indeed in the sanctions how is the fact they're observing the sanctions news? Is every company observing the sanctions going to announce it as news? lol

But if Japan is the second only to mainland China in foreign treasury security holdings, maybe they want to seem as American as apple pie. I suppose holding alot of debt is power since they probably want to get something back for it. Imagine if you were a Credit Card company's #2 customer, with an enormous outstanding balance and didn't want to pay them back. It might hurt a bit.

(yeah, the analogy is sort of backwards, but whatever, I'm in a stupor right now and it gets the point across well enough)

[edit on 8/11/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jdmmade

eh i cant agree with your statment even though it was probaly in jest but either way i dont see how us sending faulty products that would only hurt the innocent iranian people would help i may not like iran's government but there just like us in the sense that we are all victims of our goverment action weather we condone it or not

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

oh no offence taken im just still kinda new here and trying to figure out all the rules and i thought for a second i might have broken one but thanks for clearing that up for me

what i realy want to know is if JAPAN's gov made them do this or as i stated earlyier is it just toyota trying to win over american consumers and try to score points after there recall!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jdmmade

Wow, do you really hate Iranians that much?

Their leaders are dicks. Why would anyone want to harm them?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
retaliation for jap tanker getting hit? just jking....kinda

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oh the Car Nazis have announced .....

No More Toyotas for YOU !

This is just more MSM propaganda to prop up the war effort against Iran.

By UN Sanctions, Those Evil Iranians shall be cursed in driving only Used Toyotas from now on !

Fortunately for them, they most likely probably haven't a need for Toyotas especially if they are still being shipped to neighboring countries.

Looking at the news reports, They apparently are the vehicle of choice of the Taliban in Afghanistan.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Interesting thread. I found another article with a little bit more information here. It appears that they do not send many cars that direction as it is.

some excerpts from the article I linked:

Toyota exported about 4,000 cars to Iran in 2008 but the number dropped to 246 last year as the global financial crisis sapped demand in Iran.

“A major part of total exports to the UAE will be re-exported to Iran,” he said. “It’s difficult to find out the figure for Japanese products exported to Iran.”

Nonetheless, some Toyota cars sold by the manufacturer in Japan were shipped to free zones in the UAE before being re-exported to Iran with the car maker’s permission, said Morteza Masoumzadeh, the head of the Iranian Business Council in Dubai.

Does anyone know what they mean by "free zones"? I can assume that means they pay no tariffs, but I could be wrong. Can anyone clarify what "free zones" mean?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Vizzle]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee
Looking at the news reports, They apparently are the vehicle of choice of the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The Volkswagon Beetle would be a better choice. They could fit about a hundred in there.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vizzle
Can anyone clarify what "free zones" mean?

Presumably a 'Free Trade Zone' where businesses can operate exempt of tax or import/export duties

top topics

<<   2 >>

join