It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reporter follows literal bible intepration for one year

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
deleted

[edit on 11-8-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
A.J. Jacobs, a reporter for Esquirer, who previously outsourced his life for one month (he had a team in India do everything for him) recently published a book in which he lives by following the bible literally. He found 700 some rules, and tried to follow all of them. He discusses it on TED, pretty hilarious:

"I spent a year following the literal word of god"

A.J, who says he is not very religion, at one point stating "I'm Jewish in the sense that the Olive Garden is Italian" forces himself to identify and follow every rule, barring only the ones that would throw him in jail.

He grew out his beard as not to trim it's edges. He wears clothing of a single fabric. He even had to buy a chair for himself because his wife, who was quite angry at the "you may not sit on a seat where a menstruating woman has previously sat" rule in the bible had deliberately sat in every seat in the house.

At one point in his year, he actually stones an adulterer.

It's a pretty amazing story, but it brings up a lot of the many controlling laws of the bible. Some of which are rather brutal, but have been discussed ad naseum on this site, I'm sure. This video got me thinking though: To those that follow the bible, do you follow all 700+ laws, the ones involving stoning adulterers, not trimming one beards and severing the hands of wives who grab at testicles during fights? If you don't why don't you?

"Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)"

I saw this guy interviewed. It was funny. He said his wife would follow him around the house sitting next to him at that time of month, just to see him have to keep jumping up, and not able to sit anywhere.

Some old guy admitted adultery during a conversation with him, so he threw tiny pebbles at him, so he could really say he had stoned an adulterer.

By the end of his year, he said he was really glad it was over, he was starting to scare children with the way he looked, LOL

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Why is it Christians now ignore the majority of laws in the bible?

"But now we are discharged from the [Mosaic] Law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit." Romans ch7 v6

This is the answer to the above question.

If you have a problem with the details of Jewish Law, complain to the Jews.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by DISRAELI]

So that means that the Ten commandments are no longer in play?

Again, Matthew states the laws of the bible are not open to interpretation. I'm assuming picking and choosing is off the table as well.

Jesus Christ said under the covenant of grace, or the New Covenant if you A: Love God with all your mind, soul and strenght, and B: Love your neighbor as yourself you "fulfill the entire Law and the prophets."

With Jesus's death on the cross the Old Covenant ended. We are under a new covenant with God and have been for 2,000 years now.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join