It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia pastor arrested protesting 'Demon' mascot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Georgia pastor arrested protesting 'Demon' mascot

www.usatoday.com

Warner Robins police say they've charged pastor Donald Crosby with picketing without a license for protesting Warner Robins High School's "Demon" nickname and mascot.

Police spokeswoman Tabitha Pugh says 36-year-old Crosby was arrested on Monday after police told him he didn't have a permit, as required by the city.

Crosby and supporters set up the protest outside the school on the opening day of classes because of their opposition to the nickname. He says his son attends the school and he doesn't want him exposed to the name's connotations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Um really ? You need a license to protest now ? This is news to me and I would like to acquire a protest permit to protest protest permits. Seriously I thought I had the right to peaceful assembly apparently I don't, considering someone has to approve the permit, and they don't necessarily have to approve. I hope some of you take the time to apply for a permit to protest the permitting of protests, I know I am even though I can't say it 5 times fast.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Lots of city statutes say you need a permit. Demons is a way cool name. In my high school it was the Blue Devils. He probably would have popped a cork lol

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
When you get close to the truth.. Be prepard for attack.

Time to hold grnound... x

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Interesting. In the UK you need a permit for a march but not for a static demonstration.

On what grounds do they judge the application? Local politics?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
from what i read somewhere i think in that link or a simaler one from fark was that they are called the devils beacause of an air unit from ww 2 that was highly sucessfull ill go try to find the link or copy the quote from the comments

im suprised hes not in new jersey protesting those devils

and he was arrested mainly for refuseing to leave when the police told him the proper channels he had to go through and he declined to so that had to be a contributeing factor

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The mascot is a red devil with horns wielding a pitchfork. A large version of the mascot is wheeled out to the end zone during football games. Sparks shoot from the pitchfork when Warner Robins scores. The mascot was named for the Air Force’s 7th Fighter Squadron when the school opened in 1946, according to school officials. The squadron was nicknamed the Screamin’ Demons.

My question is, how in the HELL does he know what a demon looks like?

Pastor Donald Crosby

The school opened in 1946, so why did it take so long for him to protest?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm all for the dudes right to protest even if i don't agree with what he's protesting about however i know images of the devil can pee some religious folk off. i used to have a south park the movie card board cut out and the devil on it was massive. it was in my living room because it wouldnt go anywhere in my bedroom. (plus the step dad thought it was cool) we used to have to hide it by putting a sheet over it when my grandad came around (bit of a cheek considering some of the things he did in his day but each to there own). it's just a pity this pastor isn't protesting more harmful issues like war and the needless loss of life that it brings but once again each to there own and there freedom of speech!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Really though, someone has to be really dull to protest a football team mascot, no one is hurting no one. GEEZ.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Ahhh yes.

People in the bible belt reinforcing the stereotype of stupidity once again.

Man, sometimes living in this state sucks.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The man picked the time & place carefully and likely in an effort to get arrested. Why protest when the children are at the school? Bad form as the kids have nothing to do with this. I'd have wanted the idiot arrested as well had my children been coming & going from the school while he was pulling his clown act in front of the property. If you're doing this actually to bring about change rather than for attention whoring purposes, you file your grievance with the school board and demsontrate at the next school board meeting.

top topics

join