It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vending Machines Of The Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Vending Machines Of The Future

www.myfoxny.com

MYFOXNY.COM - Your thumbprint might soon be the key to an afternoon candy bar. A Massachusetts based vending machine company is joinng the growing ranks of companies that are field-testing new technologies.

Next Generation Vending and Food Service is experimenting with biometric vending machines that would allow a user to tie a credit card to their thumbprint.

"For a certain demographic that is pretty cool," says company president
(visit the link for the full news article)

Note to mods* If this is in the wrong sub forum feel free to move it to another

[edit on 11-8-2010 by hawaiinguy12]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Another aspect of Big Bro in your daily life being introduced. They don't give too much information on how the thumbprint will be used or possibly stored. Who needs cash when your company has your fingerprints on record so you can just scan your finger and the company just takes the money right out of your paycheck and walah!,You get a bag of chips! Another thing they will be doing is putting a CAMERA on the vending machines to "monitor what is going on outside of the machine." They go on to mention that "There are other innovations that are being tested outside of the United States, including machines that use retinal scans to identify and charge consumers for their purchases." Yes because the old system of using paper money is far to time consuming and wasteful? Although these aspects of it can be a danger to your privacy, I think the next idea is actually a pretty good one. They go on to say they may install touch screens so you can scroll through the information of what you are purchasing such as price and nutrition facts. So there is always a good and bad side to technology. Thoughts or concerns?

www.myfoxny.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wow very surprised that this story isnt getting more attention! I really suggest everyone reads the short article in full

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I don't think fingerprint scanners on vending machines will work personally, as they are too easy to fool (just do a quick Google search on how to). They might work in environments where you're being watched as the scan takes place, or in high-security environments where the machines being used are top-end, but for unattended vending machines I don't think so. The teen hackers will crack these in an instant, and take great pleasure in doing so!

On the bright side, it might open up a whole new market in cadaver's fingers on Ebay

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The days might be numbered where a consumer watches a bag of chips roll through the machine and drop. Next Generation is also testing a machine that includes a 46" touch-screen display that acts similarly to an iPhone display. The user can click on an item, flip the image and even see the nutrional information on the back of the packaging.

Great... Now I get to wait behind the guy who's worried about the nutritional information on something coming from a vending machine... **groan**

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I don't think it'll ever catch on, it's too discomforting to think of having a body part scanned just to make a financial transaction, even for something as petty as a candy bar.

The other consideration is will we, as a society, have to worry about machete-wielding bandits hacking off our extremities so they can go on a biometric-scanning buying spree? Because you just know there's some people out there that will hack your thumb off just to grab a candy bar (and God forbid they add these type of biometric scanners to ATMs...)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz

Great... Now I get to wait behind the guy who's worried about the nutritional information on something coming from a vending machine... **groan**

Good point Mistafaz.

I bet 99.9% of people that read those labels, don't even know what most of the words on there even mean.

They just think "hey if I read it, that means I am a good responsible consumer." Which is absurd.

Here is my punch line. If you buy anything from a vending machine, it is not healthy in the first place. Thus my reference to the absurdity factor involved.

And why are they wasting time on this biometric stuff?

Why not just go all out straight into RFID implants like they are planning on enforcing anyways?

Oh yeah because most of us will refuse a RFID implant to our deaths.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't think this would ever make it to the general public gas station but for offices I could 100% see it happening. It would help the office keep updated on the financial aspect and inventory. And with the camera being inside it would ensure that people dont sit around and chat and waste precious work time. Just a thought

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

Yeah, companies could give the option to employees to have the total deducted from their paycheck...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Sadly I believe this will become the norm and yes for things a petty as a candy bar . Bar code , chip or biometrics it's comming what ever they can get us to accept or force upon us. We are rapidly heading down that path to a cashless society . That is the agenda behind the economic crash . One internation digital currency .Problem ,reaction and solution .A system where every move and action is monitored .A system that you can be frozen out of at the flick of a switch .

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
To Be honest, I really don't see a problem. They do this at Universal Studios Orlando but with lockers instead. They record your thumbprint at the entrance and you use your thumb to open lockers to place valuables that can only be opened with your print...Me and my friends tried to juke the system to see how secure it was and it was very reliable and efficient. As long as its voluntary I see no problem.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This is such an absurd thing, clearly its a bait to gather info.
You want soda ? Go to XXX Ministry, register and give your biometric there.
Later years...
You have summons about road traffic, you cant buy soda anymore until the fine paid, wait, we hold the law, so we deducted it already from your bio-cash.
Even more to the future
You vote against us in the last season, we notice you bought some soda and traffic fine in WWW areas, that area will ignored by us and will be under close scrutiny.
Last years of your life
You revolted against us, all your bio-cash confiscated/freezed, all govt services will be denied to you. You cannot move to these country anymore (some long list). You are wanted for trial before these services revoked.

I'm afraid Fabian the goldsmith ambition is near completion.

top topics

join