It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackwater guards indicted for murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Blackwater guards indicted for murder

rawstory.com

A federal grand jury has added an additional indictment to a former Blackwater employee involved in the murders of two Afghan civilians in May of 2009, according to The Virginian-Pilot.

Two Blackwater guards have been charged with second-degree murder for the fatal shootings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

[Christopher] Drotleff, of Virginia Beach, and [Justin] Cannon, of Corpus Christi, Texas, were working for a subsidiary of Blackwater, also known as Xe, to train the Afghan police force in Kabul. The indictment alleges they were drinking that day when they became involved in a traffic accident and began firing their weapons at another car.

Drotleff and Cannon say they fired in self-defense, in fear for their lives, at a car that was speeding toward them. The government counters that the victims were all shot from behind.

The new indictment replaces a firearm charge against Cannon with use of a machine gun during the killings. The new charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years in prison on conviction.

Even if these guys are convicted, they will most likely be pardoned by George W. Obama. After all, they can't have their people thinking they have to abide by the laws.

With all of that being said, I do hope these guys get cleared. I know saying this won't win me any friends, but remember, they are just the foot soldiers and doing their job. There is something wrong with the system, not the people working for it, IMO. We are all just trying to put food on the table.

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
2nd degree murder! that sound's a bit light don't you think. I'm guessing that's because they had been drinking. always a good idea to get ya peeve on in a hostile country while carrying automatic weapons.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

In their defense, sometimes war is confusing, especially when dealing with unconventional tactics and a foreign culture that doesn't even resemble our own. With that being said, these guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop, so I'm not so sure I would buy the "fog of war" excuse. Still, we weren't there so we don't know the conditions and irregardless, the guys deserve the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty. Even though that benefit isn't afforded to most, it is supposed to be according to our Constitution and supposed principal of liberty.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I would suggest we DONT defend them.

It may get a bit confusing in a war, but these are mercenaries, and to be honest, they dont belong there. Yahoo's like these two just make our country look bad, and the charge is way too light in my opinion.

These guys just feel invincible. They dont have to follow the rules the military does, and they are operating outside of most of our awareness, so they arent condemned for their abuses as often as they should be.

I say hang 'em. And I wish we would get the mercenaries OUT of Iraq. Period.

If we dont have enough troops, use the money they are paying these mercenary companies to boost military pay to something worthwhile and see if you can increase enlistment. Clearly people will do the job for the right money, hence the mercenaries.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Pity these thugs didn't get caught by the taliban.

Blackwater don't represent anyone but the scummiest of the scum. Jail is too good for these people.

new topics

top topics

join