It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Temperature Conspiracy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I do hope global warming continues i like the cool weather.

Over the years the temperature in the arctic has risen more than 4.5 degrees. In June the arctic ice cover was the lowest it has EVER BEEN since records began. And I'm sure you have heard by now of the 100 square mile piece of ice that broke off in greenland that is so large, they literally have no way to stop or deflect it and are having to plan to remove oil rigs and such in its path.

But don't worry, there is no global warming. This is all just a fluke. Sorry if you cannot hear me clearly while you head is buried in the sand

P.S. Thanks for FOEing me, my life is now complete :rolleyes:

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Blazer]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I first noticed this back in 1992 when i saw thermometers showing all sorts of temperatures, definitely something is up and its getting more extreme all the time.

I have noticed incredible amounts of wrongness in forecasting as well, it seems the meteorologists are just reading what a computer spits out at them, and not using any of there own skills.

In fact right i have 4 different thermometers from various stores, all varying and with a difference of 3.5 degrees Celsius.

I really get annoyed when some of them tell me it is above freezing by 3 celsius, 37 Fahrenheit and yet it is snowing and sticking to the ground and everything else.

I have decided that having a thermometer in the "shade" is what you should do, but some of these meteorological stations are actually keeping it cooler than it really is due to there construction.

For sure taking temperature readings at the airports and not where the people actually are is helpful either,, i don't care what temp it is a the most windy , elevated, or not elevated part of an entire area.

You are totally not imagining things, it is FAR hotter in summer than they say, and much colder in the winter as well, funny how that works...at least where i live.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by GrinchNoMore]

[edit on 12-8-2010 by GrinchNoMore]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Those louvred enclosures are called Stevenson Screens and there are specific requirements for their location as well in relation to structures, trees and surrounding ground surface to ensure they are measuring the actual average ambient air temperature without any effects from radiated heat. As to the actual temperature measurement outside such a screen being considerably higher, I've measured temperatures in my car (parked in full sunlight) on a hot day being over 40F hotter than the actual air temperature and that's always been the case.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
I really get annoyed when some of them tell me it is above freezing by 3 celsius, 37 Fahrenheit and yet it is snowing and sticking to the ground and everything else.

It can still snow just because the ground level air temperature is above freezing. Don't confuse ground level air temperature, actual ground temperature and upper level air temperatures.
Link

Having said that, I still find the OP's observations interesting although find it difficult to believe in a 20°-30° or more discrepancy. That's a huge amount for people not to realize. Curious to hear back from the OP regarding the measuring conditions. I also wonder about the type of old thermometers mentioned and their accuracy through time. If they were spring-loaded ones I question if the spring remains accurate after years of expanding and contracting. I'll assume alcohol thermometers are more accurate through time but I really don't know.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

sky falling, copy

then we have

Arctic Sea Ice Re-Freezing at Record Pace

www.abovetopsecret.com...

as well as

SATELLITES SHOW OVERALL INCREASES IN ANTARCTIC SEA ICE COVER

darn satellites...of course, picking a convenient spot is nothing new in this regard, just take the thread

Warming Since 1990 Link To Data Collection

into account. take Siberia out of the picture without starting a new set of statistics and you're going to wind up with GIGO. it also quite interesting that while the north pole ice shield is always shown to decline, the visibly frozen areas on land don't seem to change much if at all.... maybe this information will filter through, until next year, though, who knows. btw, ice bergs can melt or break off, it can't pile up indefinitely, so what do you want?

on topic: idk, if boiling water is too hot for these thermometers, try your own body temperature, should read the same, if not, you still don't know which one is truly faulty.

PS: my experience with signpost thermometers was the diametrical opposite, way too hot, as in showing 30C when it was more like 17.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
I have decided that having a thermometer in the "shade" is what you should do, but some of these meteorological stations are actually keeping it cooler than it really is due to there construction.
Unless the temperature sensor is being sprayed with liquid or something, resulting in evaporative cooling, there's no way a weather station can read a *lower* temperature than it actually is.

Think about it. That would require some mechanism to extract energy from the sensor. The vast, vast majority of situations that would cause an incorrect reading result in a reading that higher than the actual temperature, not lower.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I must admit at first glance I thought this rather bizarre - in the "Oh, come on..." sense. I still think it rather bizarre, but the "This is pretty bizarre" sense....Probably doesn't make sense, so never mind that part....

I've noticed this summer that reported temperatures seem lower than what I perceive them to be. I know our thermometers aren't as accurate as weather station devices and I know my house is in its own micro-climate (hills & valleys) relate to being in town, but I've adjusted for that (besides, it a perception).

I have a really high tolerance (and preference) for heat. If I stay outside and acclimate with the temperatures, move slow and steady, and stay hydrated, I have no problem 100 temps, even with humidity (which we can't escape in the Ozarks).

This year, however, I've been whimping out with temps around 90, even lower. Because we've been having a higher than normal number of heat index warnings and readings, I've (skeptically) blamed it on that. I also also blamed it (reluctantly) on age. I even tried to blame it on hot flashes - only problem there is that all the other hot flash symptoms were missing.

But still, I started looking more at the humidity levels, and going by the "charts" these levels, at the reported temperatures, should be a piece of cake for me.

Then I realized there was a smaller gap between the indoor and outdoor temperature (and the AC was never shutting off). I'm used to that, but having been in this house for 10 years, I am familiar with the patterns. At 95 degrees (reported) outdoor temperatures, there should be no problem maintaining a set temp of 70. Not so anymore - right now outside reads 90; indoor set is 70, indoor actual is 75. I should mention the AC unit was replaced in April - you would think it more efficient, but I didn't notice this in years past with the 20+ year-old unit (and I definitely would have noticed).

Our basement, which has it's own unit (and is usually very cool) is having the same issue, as is my (attached) workshop under the garage, which has a heat pump. We have an outdoor sprinkler system on it's own meter, and I've had to use more gallons this year just to keep things alive than I have in the last 10 years (however, it too is old and leaks - it may be leaking more).

But I really thought it odd the other day when I thought a bike ride would be a nice way to cool off (even though it was only in the low-mid 90s). Hot city streets are miserable on a motorcycle, so head to the open roads - but even on the interstate - it was too hot to enjoy the ride!! Now I'm getting

Nothing conclusive about any of this, and there are certainly variables (like...*ahem* age, I suppose) to be considered. If I had to guess, I'd say everything feels about 10 degrees off, but considering that hotter hot seems more noticeable (to me) than colder cold
it's probably more like 5 degrees, I don't know, feeling is subjective, so maybe I should just say "It damn sure feels hotter."

The idea of an actual conspiracy? Very interesting

top topics

<< 1   >>

join