It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America has an insatiable appetite for your money

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

This article is a demonstration of what is wrong with America right now. We simply want more than we can afford. We don't want to lose any services or entitlements, but we can't pay for it.

For years the American government has been buying votes from the public by offering various services such as welfare, food stamps, and social security. This was all well and good when the country had surpluses and we could afford it.

Now however, America is in a major recession and we as a people can no longer afford all of these things, but people are unwilling to give them up. All people seem to be screaming is tax people that make more than me, don't cut budgets. But because of the free gifts they have been receiving we are a nation that is facing bankruptcy, even though we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world, and our wealthy are taxed and over 60 percent of their income.

It is time that the American people stop relying on the government to play Robin Hood, and take their lives into their own hands. This country is no longer the land of the free or the home of the brave.
We are the land of the enslaved to entitlements and home of the whiny.

In order for us to get out of this recession, we can not rely on our government. We have to rely on the things that made us a great nation. We need to reignite our work ethic, become inventive again, and stop looking at what problems are in our way stopping us from achieving our goals and start pushing through them or finding other ways to get the job done.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by russ212]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Land of the fee- home of the slave.
from clear cut mountains tragedy
to amber-like waves of gmo grains..
america - united we stand- in line.
on nation ,under surveillance.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by russ212

If the US government didn't let everyone depend on them for everything then how would they control them? Who would revolt against a free ride?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaxxon

You nailed it exactly. We have lulled into being sheep. We are now nothing more than serfs. They have almost ultimate power over us, and there are people out there voting to give them more. This country is truly in a sad state of affairs.

The way the people are supposed to be controlled according to the constitution is law, not manipulation and promises of free money with no consequences.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by russ212
www.foxnews.com...

This article is a demonstration of what is wrong with America right now. We simply want more than we can afford. We don't want to lose any services or entitlements, but we can't pay for it.

Hello!!! Nothing new. Of course we want more than what we can afford, question is, do we buy it?

For years the American government has been buying votes from the public by offering various services such as welfare, food stamps, and social security. This was all well and good when the country had surpluses and we could afford it.

Disagree. Welfare and social programs are never good. They un-equalize individuals. You are born, you try to survive, if not capable you perish. With social programs, in good or bad times economically, you take societies most able and successful and add burdens to them which only slows down their progress.

Now however, America is in a major recession and we as a people can no longer afford all of these things, but people are unwilling to give them up. All people seem to be screaming is tax people that make more than me, don't cut budgets. But because of the free gifts they have been receiving we are a nation that is facing bankruptcy, even though we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world, and our wealthy are taxed and over 60 percent of their income.

I have never received more of a free gift than anyone else. True I use roads and other government services, what some may call the bare necessities of our advanced society. I have paid much of my money (over 30%) into taxes. Anyone that received my tax money for food stamps, health care, or unemployment; I hope you lost it and had a hell of a time getting it, because I worked hard for it.

It is time that the American people stop relying on the government to play Robin Hood, and take their lives into their own hands. This country is no longer the land of the free or the home of the brave.
We are the land of the enslaved to entitlements and home of the whiny.

As my post verifies, both sides whine. But people will never stop wanting more, and taking more from the government. The society will have to be painfully purged before any real changes occur.

In order for us to get out of this recession, we can not rely on our government. We have to rely on the things that made us a great nation. We need to reignite our work ethic, become inventive again, and stop looking at what problems are in our way stopping us from achieving our goals and start pushing through them or finding other ways to get the job done.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What you say is true but doesn't address the burdens placed on the taxpayer by our militaristic adventures. Presently, more than half of our national budget goes to financing our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as supporting all the other bases we have around the world.
Our military does nothing to add to what we produce unlike the old days where conquering armies took the spoils of the land. In a way we do that but only through oil leases and heroin smuggling to support black budget programs.
Truth is, we could afford all the social programs we have presently and more were it not for military expenditures.
I'm not trying to justify social programs, just pointing out where the lions share of the taxpayer loot goes to.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

We do need a military, and I agree the wars we are currently waging are a huge cost to us. But the fact is we do not know how much of the budget goes to the war because congress HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO PASS A BUDGET.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenIndaSun

www.foxnews.com...

Disagree. Welfare and social programs are never good. They un-equalize individuals. You are born, you try to survive, if not capable you perish. With social programs, in good or bad times economically, you take societies most able and successful and add burdens to them which only slows down their progress.

I understand what you are saying and agree wholeheartedly. I was just making the point that it does not hurt the nation and people as badly when the economy is good. In those times there is more money to help the poor catch up. I do think these programs should never have been started. I just wanted to show that the American people want more of these services no matter if it can be paid for or not.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by russ212

russ they dont want to get off dependence

the government is dependent on us for control
the people are dependent on the government so they dont have to do anything.

they cant have a world where they arent needed or wanted

so yes they try to buy you....

this is pretty much why the vilify the rich ,the banks,the corporations....

all those people there dont need big government.

agreed without the miltary making sure there is america

the politicans would not be able to rob us blind.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You said it. I work in the loyalty department of a major utility provider.

We get people calling up all the time saying "I want to reduce my bills" but then the instant you suggest that they reduce their services, they flip out.

They want to pay less, but they still want the same service they signed up for.

People have got to realize that the days of living beyond their means will (or has already) rapidly come to an end. If you can't afford that four bed two bath house with your $6 an hour McJob, then you'll have to make do with something else within your budget, or take the appropriate steps to improve your income. You can't have it all if you can't afford it.

Same goes for the USA Government. They can no longer keep funding these social programs without finding the means to pay for them - living high off the hog has had the same effect for the government as it has for individuals - those that live beyond their means end up in bankruptcy pretty fast.

While it will be very tough for many Americans, the only way that the Government will be able to continue is (a) raise taxes through an increase in income taxes (ie let Bush tax cuts expire and possibly increase as well) or a new national sales tax to cover their existing expenses and pay off the debt, or (b) start major, massive, cutbacks in all areas across the board, including funding for unemployment, medicare/medicaid, fannie mae and freddie mac, social welfare, and every other program, regardless of its effect on the average citizen. As Obama said while campaigning, the Government has to do what is best for America, not what is popular with Americans.

As citizens, you can't erxpect to continue this ongoing cycle of lower taxes and higher availability of Government services. USA already has some of the lowest income taxes in the industrial world (several states have no income tax at state level at all), and some of the most expensive social programs. It can no longer be sustained, and has to end, sooner rather than later.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Here is another link that I found rather interesting on this issue

www.ajc.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thanks for making my point a little clearer

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
We don't need a military.

This why we have a 2nd amendment.

Some goat herders with AKs and homemade bombs have held us off in Afghanistan for nearly a decade.

If anyone invaded the US, the public would rape them a thousand fold what the Taliban is doing to us right now.

The military is a joke.

It is an excuse for government to hand a trillion dollars a year to crony defense contractors.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Okay, you don't like the military, I get it. But it is necessary. Every country in the world needs to be able to defend itself some.

Our military is anything but a joke, look back at the just wars we have fought: WWII, Gulf War 1, The war of 1812, The Spanish American War, The Revolutionary War, The French and Indian War. Without a military all of these would have turned out very differently.

To say we don't need a military at all is a little bit of an extreme. It is like saying we don't need a government at all,or that we don't need hospitals.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
www.warresisters.org...

Don't be deceived.

The real problem is military industrial complex and criminal industrial complex.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

I have to be honest. I question your source. It may be 100% accurate, but do you have a source that does not advertise their agenda. Numbers can be made to say just about anything.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
If anyone invaded the US, the public would rape them a thousand fold what the Taliban is doing to us right now.

Have you ever been in Central Asia, in Afghanistan or areas close to it?

I strongly doubt that the American public can match Taliban's determination. After all, not all of us believe we are getting a courtesy ticket to paradise, from Allah, for death on the battlefield.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Theres a lot of smug, self righteous responses here. Yes, times are tough. But are the people completely to blame? Am I to blame when a job I worked at for 10 years gets outsourced to India, so the corporation can save a buck? Am I to blame for jobs being shipped overseas constantly? No. Who made the rules which allow corporations to cut corners, outsource work, hire illegals? Not me. So no I'm not to blame.

I was on unemployment simply because my job was cut. No fault of my own. I tried very hard to get another job, even way outside my field. I eventually found one, which BARELY puts food on my sons plate. But, according to everyone, I should feel lucky. Because apparently all hard working middle to lower class Americans are just big spoiled brats. Right?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
Theres a lot of smug, self righteous responses here. Yes, times are tough. But are the people completely to blame? Am I to blame when a job I worked at for 10 years gets outsourced to India, so the corporation can save a buck? Am I to blame for jobs being shipped overseas constantly? No. Who made the rules which allow corporations to cut corners, outsource work, hire illegals? Not me. So no I'm not to blame.

I was on unemployment simply because my job was cut. No fault of my own. I tried very hard to get another job, even way outside my field. I eventually found one, which BARELY puts food on my sons plate. But, according to everyone, I should feel lucky. Because apparently all hard working middle to lower class Americans are just big spoiled brats. Right?

I did not say unemployment should be eliminated. And I do believe it is all of our fault that the laws of this country have changed to allow the corporations to cut corners. If you voted, you voted for poor candidates, if you didn't you should have. It is our responsiblity to elect people to office to run the country in our best interest. But this is not what has been happening. The people are voting for which ever party promises them more money, either in the form of entitlements, or in the form of new jobs. People no longer look at the real issues.

IE: Hope and Change WTF does that really mean

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

im pretty sure your average american cant defend themselves
agianst:

surface to air missiles
rpgs
sarin gas or any chemical warfare agent
a tank
a fighter jet
etc...
o and the biggest one a nuke going off

maybe they could if our government didnt tell them what kinds of guns they can own

and banning civis from owning any types of explosives......

biggest thing us civis dont have is the knowledge and trianing to fight and make improvised weapons.....

my humble opinion im gonna disagree with u on the need of a military.

all those goat herders if afghanistan are being helped by a state that has militray training and funding.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by neo96]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join