It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero dog seeks help after owner collapses!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Ok so alot of doom on ATS at the minute, of which I am partly responsible. I made a promise in a thread some time ago that I would do my part to counter this trend.

So here is a happy news story proving that the dog really is a man's (or woman's)
best friend.

YAMHILL, Ore. — A small dog who refused to return home until a neighbor followed her helped rescue her owner after he collapsed at home following heart surgery. Charles Mitchell said he was working in his yard last week in the Oregon wine country town of Yamhill when an 11-year-old dachshund named Missy scampered up and refused to leave.

Mitchell told the dog to go home, but she refused, and when he decided to follow her across the street to investigate, he found his neighbor, Charlie Burdon, had collapsed inside his home.

The police chief arrived with paramedics, Burdon was taken to the hospital. Burdon suffered an attack of vertigo and is recovering.

But Burdon and Mitchell, who have known each other for years, both said Missy is their hero.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Personally I love stories like this, I often feel with my own pets almost as though they can sometimes read my mind. They are very perceptive, and I believe a lot more aware than we often give them credit for.

I am sure many here on ATS have experienced feeling the blues, only to have their furry friend come over and rest their head on your lap!

Stories like this are incredibly common, but still nonetheless surprising and inspiring everytime a new one comes along.

Have any other ATS members ever experienced a similar situation, where they felt their pet was in tune with them on another level?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well this thread certainly bombed!

I guess I need a sensationalist happy story too! Next time I will be better prepared.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Well this thread certainly bombed!

No, dude...it didn't.

Most on this site are just looking for drama...so, it may have have been subliminally camouflaged.

www.dogguide.net...

Thanks for the good vibe thread...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Thanks for the reply, I am guilty of that myself. This thread will only spur me on though.

I vow to make 2 more feel good threads before the week is out!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yes, I will second the thank you for something good and inspiring around here. Thanks. That is a beautiful story. Not unique, but still- amazing what animals can do.

It wasn't that hard at all for me to push the red flag button and click in the star box. Really, it wasn't.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
thaanks for the tears. this tread made me think of my dog that passed years ago. i really loved that dog

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

My dog knew I was sick once and instead of playing she got on bed and stayed by my side the rest of the night..

I've heard some crazy stories about how perceptive dogs can be.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's good to see a thread with a good vibe to it. Animals do some amazing things we would never suspect. Look at the dog who bit off his owners toe. I got a story from the other side of the pet spectrum. My cat hated my ex-girl friend. You could see it when he looked at her. Well she was bedridden and I had to go to work and before I left I said to him "Roswell watch Ann while I am a work." I came home on my dinner break and she was sitting on the couch, she told me my cat laid near her and every time she would wake up he would walk over to her and meow like he was checking up on her. Finally she got up and went to the living room to watch tv and he followed her and was laying on the floor in front of her till I got home. I was impressed that despite his dislike for her he did exactly what I asked him to do, he knew how important she was to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Fantastic story. I've always said- animals are just like us, only a different shape. That's two great doggy stories I've heard of today. This is the other one.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Het I had one dog (ok well i gess it was really my sons dog) (the dogs choice not mine lol) anyway HE was a real life lassie even had border-collie (dash hound ) in him.
anyway in the first year we had him I decided he was way to winnie .
so tried getting ride of him 3 different times !
first two was only a couple miles down the road . He showd up on the door step a few days later both times .
(ok it was only a couple miles and there was a convince store near were he then was so i am sure he had no trouble asking directions.
anyway a month later i found someone who lived quite a bit away 15 20 miles? or so .
took him at night to the person downtown like 10 pm?
and they left .
Figered that was that . well 8 days later a little thinner and ragged hes standing at the door . Ok now i am like dude you are no wimp after all.
So I figered he proved him self behond any thing i could have ever asked .
and live with us (took over the care of my oldst son(who was like 2 when this started.) untill he died when my son was 13.
Did a great job to turned out he had a nack for telling when my son was sick and making sure he was cared for lol .
man talk about a STRANGE dog a MALE nurse DOG in all my years i have never seen another like him.
God rest his soul (in loving memory of Sport)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I love a good dog story. One of my favorites goes back to Hurricane Katrina. A black lab, now aptly named Katrina, won the Genesis Award for saving a man's life. This was not a master/pet scenario, which makes it all the more heroic.
Black Lab Katrina was later rescued after the man told of her pulling him out of flood waters and a certain death by drowning.

source

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hello there folks, looks like the thread has been busy while I've been off! I want to say thankyou for the replies, all I can really offer you is a star each and my gratitude for your contributions!

TrueAmerican a special thankyou to you I know how difficult that was for you!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I woke up one night in the winter to find my 2 largest dogs, one on each side of me, keeping me warm when the furnace didn't turn on in the winter. I got up to go to the bathroom, and the house temperature was at about 50ish farenheit. I would have never known if I didn't have to get up, I was so warm.

If I am feeling ill, they are all so cuddled up with me, it's very comforting.

The other day, driving with my Shihtzu, the only one that likes car rides, I passed a dead Coyote pup on the road. It was a very sad sight, and my Shihtzu leaned over from his spot and gave me kisses. He knew whatever I saw was sad.

My lab is so in tune with me, if I am lucid dreaming in the morning, and there is a noise in my dream, he jumps off the bed barking, and comes back looking confused

My Shepherd/Husky/Coyote cross seems like she just "knows" stuff. Very smart dog. Very sensitive to weather. I know when a storm is coming, she almost sticks to my leg like velcro. My husband has told me if there is ever a storm where she takes off to the basement suddenly, instead of sticking to my leg, follow her fast, she knows what to do. It'll probably be one of the freak tornadoes we get up here.

new topics

top topics

join