It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists on the brink of developing cancer-detecting breath test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Scientists working on a breath test to detect cancer said they were now able to identify different types of the disease, in research published Wednesday.

Their preliminary results, printed in the British Journal of Cancer monthly, showed the researchers' sensors could distinguish whether a patient had lung, breast, bowel or prostate cancer, irrespective of age, gender or lifestyle.

Previous research, conducted at the Technion Israel Institute of Technology in the northern port city of Haifa, found that they could largely distinguish between the breath of healthy patients and cancer sufferers.

The sensor uses gold nanoparticles to detect levels of so-called volatile organic compounds -- measured in a few parts per billion -- that become more elevated in cancer patients.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: rawstory.com...

If this proves effective in trials, could you imagine how valuable and relatively easy it would be to test for cancer? As time goes on and society gets more comfortable with processed foods and wireless technologies (as if we weren't already), we are going to need a cheap and efficient cancer detection method. However, as much good as this 'breath test' can do, I can also imagine it being used in not so beneficial ways, such as employers or insurance companies using it before deciding on employment or coverage. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it and for now, embrace the technology as one more tool in our ever-expanding war against cancer.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Great link! Let's hope that this can be developed into an all round new way to diagnose cancer and get early treatments started.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by qualitygossip

Your right, god knows our tools for getting cancer are becoming more abundant. It's high about time we make some progress in fighting it too.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
that reminds me of a few years back i saw a thing on dogs that could sense or maybe smell illnesses such as cancer in people

thanks for the post

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
WARNING *Cancer detection breath test. Not for use on Palestinians.*

Star and Flag I'll look forward to further developments.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I see this from a very cynical viewpoint.

How many billions are donated for cancer research every year? This is tax free income for researchers to add to the monies earned through the fruits of their labors.

Yet, not a single cure has been found in the last 60 years. No cures are forthcoming, despite the fact that we donate so much money, and despite the fact that a single dose of a chemo drug could cost in the 10's of thousands of dollars (my mom recieved R-CHOP at a cost of 10k for the Rituxin, and 22k for the CHOP....and she needed 8 doses total to put her cancer into remission, not cure).

It does not surprise me that they have found a better way to diagnose more people. This increases their bottom line by giving them more sales of a poison that they call a drug, which causes cancer itself.

it is totally self serving to create better diagnostics, yet not better cures.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Bull. I had my last chemo treatment 23 years ago. I was cured.

Great improvements in cancer treatments have been made and are being made. There is no such thing as "cancer" there are a multitude of diseases which fall into the category but each is very different.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Interestingly enough, that was the first thoughts that came to mind when I read the OP.

I was told by my biology lecturer (many many years ago) that we all develop cancer cells on a regular basis throughout our lives and its the immune system's job to deal with it.......... if that is true then this test could possibly have lots of people on chemo who wouldn't normally have needed it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by cazzy2211

The sooner detected, the less treatment required and the more effective they are. This applies to all forms of cancer.

CX

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Great improvements in cancer treatments have been made and are being made. There is no such thing as "cancer" there are a multitude of diseases which fall into the category but each is very different.

My girlfriend had cancer a few years ago, had chemo and radiotherapy and has been clear ever since.

I know chemo is not ideal, but she wouldn't be here now if she hadn't had had it.

Glad to hear yours went well too Phage.

CX.

CX

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
that reminds me of a few years back i saw a thing on dogs that could sense or maybe smell illnesses such as cancer in people

My neighbour recently got a puppy, a Springer Spaniel, i was telling him how good they were when we used them in the forces. He said that the puppys brother has gone off to some place where they are using them to sniff out cancer in people.

CX.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Just because there is not yet a universal cure for cancer, does not mean that there should be any sort of conspiracy behind the research into it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage, I absolutely agree with you. I have lost two family members and my best friend to this horrible disease. That wasn't the point I was making though.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
First thing that came to mind was how great this was, the earlier detection, the more possibility to treat and obliterate it before it can spread.

Second thing that came to mind was the insurance companies requiring breath scans to be done before insuring anyone, and the failure to insure of pre-existing problems even if no longer detected. This is not necessarily going to happen, but it is just a passing thought.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

It is nice that you were "cured". Too bad it doesn't happen to more people, or we could call it a "cure" rather than a "treatment".

My mom recieved her chemo 3 years ago. She still has cancer, only it is in remission. Every 6 months she has to have a PET/CAT to ensure that it hasn't started to grow again. It cannot be removed due to the complicated nature of its vascular support and her kidneys (lymphoma, B cell).

My dad died from asbestosis, but I cannot hold anyone accountable for that disease process outside of those who knew better than to use it.

My grandfather died from adenocarcinoma in his esophagus. Their deaths were horrible. Especially my grandfather.

It is nice that you were cured. For every person like you, with a success story, there are how many that die?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yet, not a single cure has been found in the last 60 years. No cures are forthcoming, despite the fact that we donate so much money

Bull

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Yet, not a single cure has been found in the last 60 years. No cures are forthcoming, despite the fact that we donate so much money

Bull

Now, you ARE the great Phage. But even Phage has to provide some evidence.

What diseases, pray tell, have seen cures in the last 60 years?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Mine.

Publication of survival curves for MOPP treated patients shows advanced Hodgkin's is curable by combination chemotherapy

www.lymphomainfo.net...

And others. But I'll let you do that research yourself.

[edit on 8/11/2010 by Phage]

new topics

top topics

join