It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenwich Mean Time is being challenged by a new clock being built in Mecca

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Nice!

I highly recommend that everyone check your last post. It is a perfect attitude adjustment for a thread like this!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
I am all for religious tolerance, but this just has me flashing back to the Galileo. The first thing I thought of when I read the article was this is just another way to try and force people into accepting Muslim law, which I for one never will.

Muslim law, what Muslim law?
Hey, you're already accepting some arab culture. You see this 1 2 3 4 5, that's western arab numerals, recognize this I II III IV V, that's roman numerals. Which one do you use?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
The fact is, that due to western influence, a western country was voted as the prime.
If the Muslim world wants their own, let them have it. It will change nothing

It will only "change nothing" if it is ignored. Longitude is measured from the Prime Meridian. If you move the Prime Meridian, you will screw up every map in existence, not to mention every GPS receiver. Most land records detailing ownership use latitude and longitude to determine boundaries, you'll mess all of those up as well.

Whatever their rationale might be, moving the Prime Meridian is ludicrous.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

It will only "change nothing" if it is ignored. Longitude is measured from the Prime Meridian. If you move the Prime Meridian, you will screw up every map in existence, not to mention every GPS receiver. Most land records detailing ownership use latitude and longitude to determine boundaries, you'll mess all of those up as well.

I don't know where you grew up but when I first started practicing law in the hills and hollows of Eastern Kentucky, a typical deed description would be.
"....being 40 acres more or less lying on hurricane creek in Leslie County, starting at the big oak tree where Reverend Brown shot Hiram White for messin' with Becky, thence Westward with said creek about 350 rods (a rod is 16.5 feet or 1/320th of a statute mile) to Big Creek, thence northward to the top of the ridge, thence west to Lige Hoskins' fence, thence southward with said fence to the beginning..."
A whole lot of thences and fences but nary a latitude or longitude anywhere. And if you want to talk about fundamentalist extremists, try a pentacostal or Primitive Baptist Church Pastor. They speak in tongues far less intelligible than Farsi or Urdu.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

Originally posted by adjensen

I don't know where you grew up but when I first started practicing law in the hills and hollows of Eastern Kentucky, a typical deed description would be.
"....being 40 acres more or less lying on hurricane creek in Leslie County, starting at the big oak tree where Reverend Brown shot Hiram White for messin' with Becky, thence Westward with said creek about 350 rods (a rod is 16.5 feet or 1/320th of a statute mile) to Big Creek, thence northward to the top of the ridge, thence west to Lige Hoskins' fence, thence southward with said fence to the beginning..."

Contrast "Metes and Bounds" with the "Public Land Survey System" (in the United States) which has been the method used since 1785. It was realized that marking a property line by things that are transitory, like trees and old walls, tended to result in no property line at all. Property descriptions within areas platted after the PLSS was instituted use latitude and longitude, not metes and bounds.

States in white on this map:

still have remnants of metes and bounds, the rest use PLSS exclusively.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by adjensen]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Only an idiot would totally dismiss the possibility the intentions behind this are nefarious.

It is no secret that Islam wants to engulf the entire globe and force all to follow its beliefs. They have attempted it before. They will probably do it again.

Time shapes every aspect of our lives, the symbolism behind this could be huge. Times are changing.

This could turn out to be a defining event. This might be a challenge to the status quo. They want to change things, starting with the meridian. If more countries started using it there could be knock-on effects.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Firefly_]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a fairly large and vocal group on ATS that comes out in droves against Christians and their proselytizing ways?

Likewise, there seems to be a large and vocal group coming out to say that the Muslims have every right to do the same thing?

I need to do a little research. I want to see how many countries other than the Vatican are Christian countries, then how many are Muslim countries.

ETA: Wiki lists 34 countries as being non-secular Christian states.
24 are listed as Muslim.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
ETA: Wiki lists 34 countries as being non-secular Christian states.
24 are listed as Muslim.

Can I get a link? All I can find is the list of theocracies (all three of them) that I already knew. I'm curious as to their qualifications of what is a "Christian state".

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
well regardless of political religious etc its a pretty nice looking clock but i had one question some one could possibly answer for me why are there the same symbol (what looks like 11 but in roman numerals) on every place on the clock like instead of 12 am 3 am or 5 am its just the same symbol?

picture of it! sadly a slideshow but here ya go now if any one could explain this to me it would be great
news.yahoo.com...=/100810/481/urn_publicid_ap_or g_d5ab728b7f9043e7a917cc7c6b4aaa6c

[edit on 11-8-2010 by KilrathiLG]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

All I see here is paranoia on your part.

Christians did the same thing but you don't seem to be pointing that out. Remember the Crusades? Spanish Inquisition?

The hypocrisy of paranoid people never ceases to baffle.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Maybe I am paranoid. I would like to think I am. But am I imagining those fires in Russia? What about the floods in Pakistan? Earthquakes in China? Volcano in Iceland? Thats just the natural disasters. Am I imagining the gulf oil spill? The Romanian plane crash? The wars going on in various countries around the world? Yes I know these things always happen but they are happening more frequently and almost simultaneously.

So when an event like this pops up amidst all of this crazy global stuff going on - and you can bet if I have noticed it then others have too, probably even orchestrating it for all we know - I cant just ignore it.

Also, please stop second guessing my opinions on things. The point I made is regardless of what others have done. Just because I omitted christians in this thread about MUSLIMS doesnt mean I support or advocate them. I could list countless religions, sects, tribes, non-religious organisations etc that all have the same goal and have done disgusting things trying to get the job done.

History repeats itself. This is a fact of life, we cannot escape because we never learn from our lessons (something I personally know only too well). Open your eyes, look around you. Look at the state of this planet. Pay attention to whats going on, dont just shut it out because its uncomfortable like the majority do. Then maybe you can see that this world has already gone to hell, quite literally in some places.

We are living in very dark times. It is the unfortunate fate of human civilisation because we cannot fix some fatal flaws in our makeup that make us susceptible to things like unsatiable greed and lust for power, with little to no regards for others.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Wikilink for nonsecular countries:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I suppose I would be described as anti-Muslim by many on here, (and some would say anti-Christian).
But this will have absolutely no effect on me or my life so I really can't see the problem.

If anything I merely find it another humourous example how religion has to dictate most aspects of one's life.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks. I see that the qualification is having an "official religion", which means something in some places and absolutely nothing in others. Norway, for example, has the "Church of Norway" (effectively Lutheran) as an official religion, yet it's statistically one of the most secular nations on Earth. So it's a bit misleading.

Thanks for the link!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
0h, oh," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling!”

Away she ran to find Hen Pen. Etc etc.

They are trying to steal "our" right to "time".......what shall we do...?

nice press release just in time for Ramadan.

It is common knowledge, and has even been pointed out here in a prior post ,that Muslims use the Hijri calendar for proper observance this is based on the lunar calender and used concurrently with the Gregorian calendar.... jolly gosh why make such a fuss ..

Time is a subjective matter all on its own

Ramadan Mubarak

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by IandEye
I wonder if anyone realizes how unnatural greenwich mean time and time zones are......these were created to make train travel easier and in a way it also is a form of mind control...

What the hell is that supposed to mean? The British Empire was a premier seafaring nation and it was in bad need of uniform time measurement which is 100% critical to its navigation. They offered a then unheard sum of money of 50,000 pounds for inventors who come up with a clock precise enough to circumnavigate the globe, and it's not a small feat. These timepieces are now on display at Greenwich.

Funny... well not ..the train bit

I must say the book Longtitude is a great informative read about the courage of John Harrison, an English clockmaker

Dava Sobel's Longitude

Unlike parallels of latitude, which are fixed by nature, longitude is judged by means of time. Specifically, you must know the time where you are and the time at a known longitude simultaneously. The longitude problem remained unsolved for the better part of human history; it was a matter of life and death to those on ships at sea. If you didn't know your longitude, you couldn't know exactly where you were, and land could rise out of the water with terrible suddenness, smashing your ship and those it carried against land's end.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by BANANAMONTANA]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Maybe there is actually a very good reason for Mecca to be seen as the centre of the world and for us all to set our time from there.

This Video shows Mecca to be the most mathematical and aesthetically 'correct' location

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
ZOMG SHARIA LAW MUSLIM NWO CONSPIRACY OF WORLD DOMINATION. Boom, I just saved you reading the rest of this thread.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There will be some militant faction that thinks this is an affront to Allah and they will bomb it to the ground...this is how they roll.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BANANAMONTANA

0h, oh," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling!”

Away she ran to find Hen Pen. Etc etc.

They are trying to steal "our" right to "time".......what shall we do...?

nice press release just in time for Ramadan.

It is common knowledge, and has even been pointed out here in a prior post ,that Muslims use the Hijri calendar for proper observance this is based on the lunar calender and used concurrently with the Gregorian calendar.... jolly gosh why make such a fuss ..

Time is a subjective matter all on its own

Ramadan Mubarak

And the state of our time zones is an arbitrary construct. GMT is (or I should say was) as it is/was only because of the historical accident that the observatory used to measure the sun being directly overhead happened to be at Greenwich.
GMT was abandoned in favor of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on Jan 1, 1972, although UTC fairly well tracks the solar time in Greenwich although it is based on nternational Atomic Time.
In any event, the standard is arbitrary. It is an average of the time kept by 70 atomic clocks in national laboratories around the world. The SI second is arbitrarily based on cesium, although it could have been based on any of the elements, and, in fact the second is based on a particular isotope, Cesium 133. tycho.usno.navy.mil...
So there is no real reason, except historical inertia and people's resistance to change, and the costs of change, not to use a different arbitrary measure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join