Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

11,000 Year old house discovered

page: 1
37
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Archaeologists are claiming to have discovered the oldest house in Britain. The circular structure, found at a site near Scarborough, North Yorkshire, has been dated as being made in 8,500BC. Described as a "sensational discovery" by archaeologists, this is 500 years older than the previous oldest house. The teams from the universities of Manchester and York are also examining a nearby wooden platform, which is being claimed as the oldest example of carpentry in Europe.






This drawing released by Manchester University Wednesday Aug. 11, 2010 shows an impression of a waterside home of nomad hunters dating back about 11,00 years after archaeologists said Wednesday they had uncovered the site of Britain's oldest house. It has lake views, a thatched roof and very original features The dwelling predates the country's famous Stonehenge monument by around 6,000 years and was built at a time when Britain was still connected to continental Europe



11,000 Year Old tree




Link To News Article


www.independent.co.uk...


www.google.com...


Short video clip from site
www.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 11/8/10 by blupblup]




posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It's a pretty amazing find and the Archaeologists are saying that the excavation site is about 1/100th of the size of the actual site.
When this house was built and these people settled in this area, Britain was still attached to mainland Europe.

They're saying this find could be the "New Stonehenge" and it's a hugely significant find.

I watched a news program earlier and some of the finds from flint to trees were pretty amazing.

[edit on 11/8/10 by blupblup]



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I am an absolute glut for history and this is an amazing story! Thank you for posting and bringing it to my attention!



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide
 



You're welcome.

What they were saying earlier is that they've (The archaeologists) applied for an extension in both time and the area they can dig.... This is being heralded as one of THE most important finds in many, many years.



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It would have been a high ground site, I saw a good program called, I think, Stone Age Apocalypse, about iirc Doggerland, the area where the North Sea is now, the UK and mainland Europe were the high ground on either side of this large landmass.

Good find OP.



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye
 



Thanks.... interesting stuff.
They were saying earlier that this settlement was built around an ancient lake.

I would love to see this fully excavated and really find out what it looked like and so on.



Another interesting article here.

www.culture24.org.uk...



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Here is a news clip from the site (link takes you through to the video on BBC news website)

www.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 11/8/10 by blupblup]



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Absolutely fascinating! This is the kind of thing that peaks my interest the most. I always try to imagine how human life was 10,000+ years and although we don't have much to go on, each and every new find, gives us huge clues. Great find to both the archeologists and the OP!

--airspoon



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
that must be right after Doggerland was flooded, or there abouts. great find!



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Nice find OP
I found it interesting that the house was built circular. From what I have read in other areas, (the venus project perhaps?) it seems that will be the way of the future. Seems we may be coming full circle? Or did they know something we dont know?



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
What they dont tell you is they also found a forcloser notice nailed on the door. Seems they had the same problems we have.

P.S i want the chicks number in the photo.

P.S.S the earth has only been around for 8,000 years so this is fake.



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


The Earth is about 4.5 to 4.6 billion years old. I don't know what you have been sniffing. www.talkorigins.org...



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


The Earth is about 4.5 to 4.6 billion years old. I don't know what you have been sniffing. www.talkorigins.org...


lol it was a joke dont you see the
at the end?
dang take it ease. slow down on the speed, i know what your taking!



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


Oh!! Now I see what you are saying, G.



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
That's a great find, I love when something like this is found and we learn a little more about people that lived long ago.

Now an off-topic question: why are all people in the video wearing jackets, is it cold in England now or was this filmed some time ago?



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
That's a great find, I love when something like this is found and we learn a little more about people that lived long ago.

Now an off-topic question: why are all people in the video wearing jackets, is it cold in England now or was this filmed some time ago?


yes its cold there in england. its always cold. Highs today where 70 F



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I watched a news program earlier and some of the finds from flint to trees were pretty amazing.


What gets me about archeology is that they never take into account that someone could have left these things a thousand years after the structure was built.

For example: Say I go to the Colloseum in Rome. I happen to drop my cell phone and it gets burried in the dust.

1,000 years from now, archeologists will dig up that cell phone and exclaim that the ancient Romans who built the Colloseum surely had cell phones because a cell phone was found there.

Before I hear about carbon dating. You can not carbon date flint as it is not organic. Same with a cell phone. Same with clay pots etc.

On topic: It's a good find. But, let's not automatically assume they had these things when the structure was built as they may have been left years later.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Nutter]



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
For example: Say I go to the Colloseum in Rome. I happen to drop my cell phone and it gets burried in the dust.

1,000 years from now, archeologists will dig up that cell phone and exclaim that the ancient Romans who built the Colloseum surely had cell phones because a cell phone was found there.

They know those things by the dust with which the cell phone was buried. That dust would have signs that it was not from the same time as the rest of the find.



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
What gets me about archeology is that they never take into account that someone could have left these things a thousand years after the structure was built.

For example: Say I go to the Colloseum in Rome. I happen to drop my cell phone and it gets burried in the dust.

1,000 years from now, archeologists will dig up that cell phone and exclaim that the ancient Romans who built the Colloseum surely had cell phones because a cell phone was found there.

Before I hear about carbon dating. You can not carbon date flint as it is not organic. Same with a cell phone. Same with clay pots etc.


Google "the law of stratigraphic superposition".

Your comments explain why, to adequately date a site, archaeologists need to work with artifacts where they are found and in relation to the physical features of the site...in situ. Anomalies can be recognized as such...Google 'cryroturbation' and 'bioturbation'.

There is also the concept that 'one date is no date'. You can't carbon date flint, but there are other atomic methods that are used. Pottery? Generally contains organic matter which can be dated. Context and stylistic elements are also integral to the process.

These elements illustrate why you can't just wave around an item you say you found in a hole and try to change history with it. Archaeology has an extremely exacting methodology so that in the end, you can actually work with the results.



posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter
 


You make a good point. Its possible a lot of the artefacts we have found could have been out of time with the ruins they are found near/even within.

However dont underestimate our ancestors. Some cultures speak of ancient, more advanced civilisations. Like everything in the universe, human history is a cycle, from emerging out of the ashes of near annihiliation to almost annihiliating ourselves due to our own arrogance. Who knows whether or not the global flood was man-made?

ArMaP: It has been quite cold in England recently, summer ended in June as usual as it has done for the past few years now. It has also been quite windy so it's entirely possible this video is recent.






top topics



 
37
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join