It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1m for person who reduces population

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Is the population in Australia that large
I'm all for places where the population's growing at phenomenal rates to reduce. And for stopping hyperconsumerism too. Small steps go a long way with that though, and with planned obsolescence and marketing strategies that include cartels who get together to change our technology on us to force certain changes, that could be a challenge.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I suggest a lottery that those with the 'winning' numbers will be put down.

Amazingly by offering cash prizes too, people will play it willingly.

You could win money, or you could win death, and remember the proceeds go to funding the public schools!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

A neutron bomb, or enhanced radiation weapon (ERW), is a type of tactical nuclear weapon designed specifically to release a large portion of its energy as energetic neutron radiation rather than explosive energy. An ERW explosion is typically about one-tenth as powerful as that of a comparable fission-type atomic bomb because standard thermonuclear weapons create increased explosive yield by capturing their neutron radiation.[1] Although their extreme blast and heat effects are not eliminated, the increased radiation released by ERWs is meant to be a major source of casualties, able to penetrate buildings and armored vehicles to kill personnel that would otherwise be protected from the explosion.

en.wikipedia.org...
Remove the people, keep the buildings

OR

Some sort of Battle Royale scenario. This could be done a couple of ways. I believe the first stab at it should be done using only criminals. The cons are placed on an island/in an arena. They are supplied with as much crack and alcohol as they can consume and provided with a few select weapons. The last man standing gets to live. This would also be very popular if televised, or maybe rake some money in for the state by selling tickets for strategically placed viewpoints.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by and14263]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
As I have posted on here many time I do not believe we are over
populated at this time.

What we have is bad management, and I think most of us agree with that.

I have presented ways to power the entire earth several different ways.

All backed up with facts and evidence.

I have presented a way to feed the entire world from a land mass
area about the size of West Virginia using 10 times less water.

But...I will play this game Mr. smith asks for.

Block all immigration to 1st world nations first, then...

Take 10% of what is spent globally on:

1) Military
2) Sports
3) Religion
4) Entertainment
5) Drugs and Booze

Use it for various one time incentives for men and women to
become sterile.

Also you make it legal for anyone terminally ill or in proven
life long incurable pain to check out if they want.

Some examples of things ppl would willingly sign up for.

Largest population growth is in undeveloped nations.

Offer one or more of the following:

1) paid by the mentioned fund cell phone for life.
2) 5 acres of land and a wind mill powered well
3) A dual 1,000 watt motor Ebike that goes 75 mph
4) Afforadble co-op based not for profit healthcare
5) A self contained Aquaculture-Hydroponic fish plant food system
6) $1 / watt printed like paper solar cell roof
7) paper nano tech batteries for electric cars
8) super cheap electricity from tapping the jet stream or
using LFTR type reactors making it for less than 1 cent a kilowatt
9) Internet co-op for all ppl on earth via high altitude balloons
and online based school for all on earth, via moodle.

If you make their life better in a major way they will line up to
be sterilized in many countries.

In the highly religious countries not so much.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Why not create cities or Colonizations within Large ships that are self sustaining either through Nuclear Fision or Simply get enough fuel to get it into orbit then from there create a system of rivers and capture the power of the rivers to fuel the ship to sustain life and goriwng your own everything. Just an idea .. surely someone has thought of this.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reduce the world population?

Sink Australia into the sea.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Education is the key. Having had experience living in the both the northern and southern parts of the U.S., this is without doubt the most powerful tool.

From experience, I know that the north expresses and educates the need for young adults to wait on producing children until they reach their goal of further education, a stable employment position, and a general promising atmosphere for a child to be born into.

In the south, there is a complete lack of this type of proper, and responsible education. This lack of education leads to the unbelievable high amount of teen birth rates there. In addition this leads to the higher than average high school drop-out rate which occurs from the need to now care and support their child. Unfortunately, without a high school diploma, minimum wage is their only likely opportunity at best. Their child now suffers due to lack of judgment by the teen parents.

Country western songs popular in the south glamorize this ignorant behavior, and everyone generally seems to view teens having babies as being a "hip" and "cute" thing. Much like a never-ending fad where nobody wakes up to see the stupidity behind it. Also to blame is the huge number of religious brainwashed population there which hazardously leads to the lack of birth control usage.

Children are being born from kids at an alarming rate in the south, while in the north, the huge majority wait until full maturity and stable employment and living situations.

It is clearly a matter of education being key.

Being from the north I always heard accusations of the south being uneducated, as well as being decades behind the rest of the country in their views. Well, I cannot help but honestly say that THESE STEREOTYPES ARE 100% TRUE. Discussing this hopefully would help some of them realize this and correct the situation.

The south needs to stop thinking that they are correct, and that the rest of the country is incorrect. There is a REASON for which most of the U.S. believes they are all IGNORANT.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy

Lived in the South for several years, and YIKES are you stating the truth for sure.

The South needs something called EDUCATION down there. Less Religion, and more EDUCATION!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Its absolutely a good idea. It is crucial human beings come up with an idea to replace our pyramid shaped economic systems that are dependent upon growth.

And, all the pieces for such a system actually exist.

Unfortunately, a workable system and a popular system are not the same thing.

If any young Australians who qualify would like to make an attempt at the prize, I would suggest you begin with a careful read of Plato's Republic, as his was the first known attempt to create such a system, and he remains one of the most brilliant minds of all time.

I would then recommend a careful read of Adam Smiths "Wealth of Nations" and I would recommend that you consider the difference between the two. Adam Smith was interested in growth, in his time expansion was desirable. Plato near the beginning lays out the problems of growth, and tries to make a system that does not require it.

Despite their obvious differences, they are not incompatible systems. In fact, they are based on the same evolutionary principles. A merger of the two, repaired with our current understand of those evolutionary principles and updated to reflect current technology, (birth control) would result in a workable capitalist system that did not require the impossible. (Infinite expansion on the bottom level, which all pyramid schemes require.)

It would not, however, be universally appealing to people. At least not for a generation or two. Or three.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Such rash generalizations and all inclusive statements never fail to take me momentarily aback. As a person who presently lives, and has for over 24 years, in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, I can honestly say that I have met very few people who match up with your 1930's Appalachia stereotype here. In fact my experience has been much the opposite.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Better lower your nose.
It will rain one of these days and I would not wish to see you drown.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This challenge could be easily met in the U.S. by simply closing our southern border.

No more people scrambling to have anchor babies here and then squeezing out 8 more once they have a foothold. No more free rides, that IS the incentive, take that away and problem solved.

Where do I pick up my check?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well, I guess the key is for an Aussie under 30-years-old to become a member of ATS and the ideas will start pouring out or pouring in!

So perhaps ATS is the answer to such perplexing problems. ATS will cure us of our own wastefulness.

The average person could read about thoughts and ideas that eventually lead down the road to a less polluting society (consumerism). They could read such ideas like mine:

Mandate that every household grow its own food. That which it cannot supply for itself must be bartered for by some means. Grow that which you consume. Do you like chicken? Then grow chicken. Do you like fruits? Then grow fruits. Eventually it doesn't take long to realize that the trees and the soil can only support so many; but creatively together one plot of land to the next we realize there is more food than the World's population would ever need. I can almost immediately see the value of Family grow, and with Family comes values, and ultimately with values comes personal responsibility.

No more accidental pregnancies. As much as we like to say "Opps!" giggle giggle, it is too fundamental to NOT know your own body, and too fundamental to NOT know how to feed yourself.

Take back the Market of yesterday, wash yourself of the Consumerism of the poisoned political products that are on our Grocery Store Shelves. The first thing we will notice is the decline of Diabetes, then cancers.

Some people out there eat things because the box makes it easy for them. The box does the work for you.

1. Open Box.
2. Boil water, empty box.
3. Repeat every day!

It is so very sad; those that do live deserve to live, but those unborn do not deserve to be fed poison and face a life of misery and death based on Profit!

This seems like it would eventually lead to more babies, and more babies, but when you get down to the basics of it, no family is too big if it can support itself!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This may be true, although sterotyping the south is not the way to go.

Originally posted by Baloney

Lived in the South for several years, and YIKES are you stating the truth for sure.

The South needs something called EDUCATION down there. Less Religion, and more EDUCATION!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I love it when people are all about one thing, that has no relevance to this thread at all. But can always relate a subject to what is on thier mind at the time. Great Addition, BY THE WAY. There is an saying " Excuses are like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink" and that is the truth ... We could have sit here and said o I can't believe Britain is sending "redcoats" to our door step 1000's of miles away .. and I guess we will have to move somewhere else , or I guess we will have to make a TRUCE or Meet in the middle, NO, we didn't do that did we ... We fought for what we knew was right. Just going to take someone knowing what is right again i suppose in this time of o so may wrongs.

Originally posted by Soloist
This challenge could be easily met in the U.S. by simply closing our southern border.

No more people scrambling to have anchor babies here and then squeezing out 8 more once they have a foothold. No more free rides, that IS the incentive, take that away and problem solved.

Where do I pick up my check?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Georgia is not too bad in that aspect to be honest. Try Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi for beginners. The stubbornness and unwillingness of those areas to become educated and favor positive change is the same as trying to convince ancient folks that the earth is NOT flat. There are folks down there TODAY that honestly think the world is FLAT and on PILLARS like the Bible says!!

If you haven't lived in both the North and South USA for several years, you will fail to see this. That which is mentioned above by another poster is truly accurate.

No offense at all to those states, they just don't like education I guess. Because of this is why they are viewed in a negative light.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
feed the homeless to the hungry.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

The problem with you solution is that the southern border (or borders in any nation) are open because the economic system is built to require an expanding base at the bottom to support an expanding (more slowly) top.

Simply stopping population growth would not solve the problem. Because the system would collapse in short order without the influx of "more people" at the bottom.

People in countries with open borders are already slowing their birthrate. Leaders first tried to encourage more babies from existing populations, and, when that did not begin to have an impact, simply began importing people from nations with high birthrates.

To solve the problem you need to figure out how to structure a system that is stable and does not require an ever expanding base. Indigenous populations who simply reduce their birthrate will just continue to shrink as a percentage of the population and be replaced by whatever ethnic group that can be imported in to make the base continue to increase unless the fundamental problem "need for growth to support the system" is addressed.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I will proceed to follow ATS views on ignorance on this post. Thank you ATS. For setting such high standards.

reply to post by Baloney

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
First thing is take measurement of exactly how much resources we can reasonably expect to harvest from the earth on an annual basis. assume that everyone that is able to work, did work in some type of meaningful capacity and that all wealth was distinguished. Then simply divide the resources by the number of people and limit consumption to that number. Population would then naturally grow in line with our ability to supply them with resources without effecting the supply each person would get. Break that equilibrium and people would stop having babies so they could keep their curent level of supply.

Given human nature the population would decrease quickly. Less people means you get more stuff or work less.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join