It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1m for person who reduces population

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

$1m for person who reduces population

news.smh.com.au

The Wilberforce Award, and the $1 million prize, will go to a young Australian under 30 who can impress Mr Smith by coming up with alternatives to "our population and consumption growth-obsessed economy".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Dick Smith is fairly well known here in Australia and is usually not short of a good idea.

You can read more about him HERE.

Now, the conspiracy theorists should/would jump all over this, as it relates to the depopulation theories that we see all over ATS.

The thing is, after reading the article, I can't help but think he's onto something here.

So is this a good idea?

Or is it bound to fail and be met with cynicism?

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Quite simply, my idea would be tax benefits/cuts for couples with one child or less.
Instead a lot of countries reward couples for each child that they have - doling out social benefits like candy thereby exacerbating the situation.

Reducing the population on Earth is not a bad thing, and should not be made out to be ... we have been spreading like a virus. It's time to add some penicillin.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
edited..sorry 'bout that!

[edit on 11-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yeah because looking ahead 220 years is always very predictable. We'll probably have no technology that will make growing food easier.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Could work...

Are you thinking something like this?

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
best and human way of reduce earths population is colonising the moon and mars , thats why I am for increasing moon for the space exploration programs.
And thats why I am for creating an UN space program where nasa , esa , isro , jaxa , Rsa and other space organisations will be combined into one organisation with a minimum of 2 % of Bnp of nations to be put into it as funds as a bare minimum.

+26 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
We don't need to "reduce" populations. We need to deecentralize populations and get back to small farms and communities. We need people to support themselves. This takes intelligence and economy of consumption.

Too many cars, petroleum based products, wealth relocation, entitlements and large population centers. If we got back to a basis where everyone was responsible for their own upkeep and support then we wouldn't have so many people making babies because it's free.

The planet and people would be healthier.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I'm not under 30 and I'm not an Australian (although my nieces are) but my proposal is simply to castrate/spay all criminals. And since crime often runs in the family, it might lead to a safer, friendlier streets as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

The problem I see with your idea is that it opens up the rich to do what they want because they can afford the taxes.
So the rich will have kids while the rest of us are held hostage by taxes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To MarkLuitzen

We can't handle one planet properly as a species.
To go into space messing up other planets is not a good idea in my opinion...we can't even handle this planet.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
How about manufacturing condoms with Richard Simmons' face on the front?

That would work right?

Just throwing out ideas here people. Tryin to help some Ausie brothers out.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Segregate School's by Gender.

Don't Force the Mixing of Males and Females en mass in their early years.

The kids will pay more attention in class, because their hormones will not be distracting them.

They will learn more, and better... and have a better chance of making their station in life BETTER because of it.

They will develop a healthy thirst for knowledge, and thus, will dedicate more of their time (than they currently do) towards their Future (As opposed to Hooking Up)

People will marry and have kids later on in life than they do now....

A longer timespan between generations means an overall lower rate of population growth.

Not to mention a better economy because the kids payed attention to MATH in Math class, instead of their Classmates.

I'll take my Million Dollars in equal parts Gold, Platinum, Silver, and Unmarked, Non-sequential Treasury Notes.

-Edrick

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Edrick]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

But that's ok because it reduces the tax burden on the less wealthy (in a perfect utopian system of government). Sadly, though, I tend to agree with you ... there will always be abuse by the Elite.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Make all those that believe in, support, or are actively engaged in eugenics, go first.
Come on, you know who you are.
Set a good example and shoot your selves, castrate your selves,
tax your selves. abort your selves, eat a cobra, what ever...
but take one for the gipper...
go on
you can do it,
make the world a better place.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yeah mate it'll get met with undue slandering from people who look for messages in the quotes rather than read the quotes and receive what messages are in it. (If that makes sense).

Either way I may not entirely agree with ol' Dickies political views, but I do support him on the principal that he always seems to be trying to promote ideas that are right for Australia, and never just himself.

If he ran in the upcoming election i might actually have someone to vote for...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Any attempt to slow birth rates is always going to be met with a huge backlash. Every single special interest group will say it is an attack upon them. Every religious and right to life organization will take it as a declaration of war. And every other government in the world would follow public opinion and decry it. (Well, except for China and, maybe, India). Even if a totally plausible, humane, logical method were figured out. I don't see it flying very far at all.

Then again, just pass a law saying that all couples trying to have kids must mandatorily listen to one hour of Justin Beiber music before making their attempt.... I figure about a ninety percent decline in the birth rate right there!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Chadwickus

That's easy!!

Promote the option of euthanasia to the ever aging population!!

You'd be surprised of how miserable some old folks are...

No.

Promote it for you young folks (e.g. "sad because you can't afford the latest Iphone, end it all for only $4.99, no tax!" or something) - us old folks will die off anyways so don't worry about us.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I scratched the wrong post!! Cr*p!!

[edit on 11-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Offer a free voluntary vasectomy program at a young age. Have a reverse vasectomy program for later in life.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The article does not say how the winning ideas will be used.
Will they be lobbied for in governments I wonder?

One to watch for the future I think.

BTW,my idea would be to get the Vatican to start to support the use of condoms.
That would have a big impact in the 3rd world I would have thought.
Of course,the tricky part would be getting the Vatican on board.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join