It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow in Brazil, below zero Celsius in the River Plate and tropical fish frozen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Snow in Brazil, below zero Celsius in the River Plate and tropical fish frozen

en.mercopress.com

For a second day running it snowed Wednesday in Southern Brazil and in twelve of Argentina’s 24 provinces including parts of Buenos Aires as a consequence of the polar front covering most of the continent’s southern cone with zero and below zero temperatures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.mercopress.com

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I found this news as quite a surprise seeing as I'm currently living in South America (Ecuador) and haven't heard about the extreme weather going on further south until now.

I also did some searching on the boards and couldn't find any other thread about it. I've seen nothing mentioned on any of the MSM news outlets.

I don't know if it's anything to worry about or not -- but I must say it's getting hard to ignore the possibility of the unusually extreme weathers that are being felt in many different parts of the world right now (Pakistan, China, Russia, South America, etc) could have some connection with possibly much bigger implications globally.

I'll try and find more recent sources about what's happening in South America, but any help would be much appreciated and of course anyone whose living in an affected country please share what's going on!

en.mercopress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Navieko

Very interesting weather your having over there... Very unusual.
I was on a thread yesterday where someone was talking about Oil washing up on Brazillian beaches and there being dead penguins.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The conversation turned to global currents and the fact(?) that Oil from the Deepwater disaster could not be responsible but I wondered if perhaps some Sea Currents have been ALTERED or Changed by the large volume of methane gas / liquid released at depth in the GoM which might have affected temperatures and the equilibrium of sea currents in that Americas region.....

Could that be a cause of your unusual weather ??

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Buenos Aires - At least 175 people have died in the coldest winter in South America in recent years, officials in six affected countries said. The cold was worst in southern Peru, where temperatures in higher altitudes of the Andes dropped to -23°. Officials said on Monday since the beginning of last week, 112 people had died of hypothermia and flu.

News24.com - South American cold kills 175

Here are some grisly statistics:

1. 175 dead in 6 countries

2. 112 people had died of hypothermia and flu in Peru.

3. 16 people froze to death and 11 died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to faulty heaters.

4. Thousands of cattle also froze to death on their pastures in Paraguay and Brazil.

5. In Bolivia, 18 people died, in Paraguay five and two each in Chile and Uruguay. Nine people died of the cold in southern Brazil.

South America Cold Kills 175 – Where’s The Media?

[edit on 11/8/10 by Navieko]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The source article also said that the last time something like this happened was forty seven years ago. So one could say that this is not the first time something like this has happened.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Navieko

Has this sort of thing ever happened before ??
There must have been 'cold snaps' in the South American Continent....
If these are unique events, then I think something is afoot with our climate as the Fires in Russia blaze on, the Villagers in Pakistan have to swim for their lives and the Chinese are still digging people out of their landslides.....

The world is a changing I think.... right before our eyes !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I've only been here for 4 months so I can't really say from personal experience what's normal and what's not. In fact where I'm currently living in the southern part of Ecuador, the weather is quite fine. If it wasn't for the fact someone told me about what's going on not too far further south, I would not of suspected a thing! I just hope it isn't coming my way...

It's true, the article stated that these extreme temperatures have been experienced before back 47 years ago and more than likely it's just another 1 in a 50 year or so occurrence that will pass just as the last one did... but as pointed out by Purpledog, it's the multiple cases of extreme weather events taking place all over the world at the same time that raises my eyebrow.

[edit on 11/8/10 by Navieko]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

To get an idea of how unusual this icy snap is, you just have to take a look at the weather records of Argentina's capital Buenos Aires. It's snowed there three times since 1918 -- and two of those dustings have taken place in the past month. (The other was in July 2007). But while the city has gotten off relatively lightly during the current big freeze -- it's only experienced a light spattering of snow so far -- the country's Andean and Patagonian provinces have been buried under 3 feet of snow. Dozens of villages have been cut off by the vast drifts, which have killed an unknown number of livestock and ruined thousands of acres of crops.

South America Hit by Cold Snap

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

4. Thousands of cattle also froze to death on their pastures in Paraguay and Brazil.

Cattle do not normally freeze to death. They are much more likely to die of heat exposure than from cold temperatures.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I also recently read the article below. There aren't higher than normal temperatures everywhere in the world.

Temperatures continue well below average in Southern California

"The fruits and vegetables, the tomatoes and a lot of the citrus and things like raspberries are not ripening up because it's not getting hot long enough," she said, adding that some fruit could taste less sweet because less sun means less sugar content.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

Originally posted by Navieko

Cattle do not normally freeze to death. They are much more likely to die of heat exposure than from cold temperatures.

That is very true. Where I live in the winter sometimes it gets down to negative 20 or 30 Fahrenheit. The cows do just fine in this.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
could it have to do with the cows down there not being climatized to such temperatures or just not being used to that kinda weather if not thats realy strage that some cows will freeze and others wont maby the cows realy are happyer in california

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Although Brazil's most famous post card is Rio de Janeiro and we are known for our beaches and hot weather, you must consider that Brazil is a big country. The northernmost part of Brazil is quite near the equator line, but the southernmost reaches waaay down in south america.

The south of Brazil is known for its cold weather and it's certainly not the first time that it's snowed over there.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Snow in Southern Brazil is not unusual at all. My Aunt is from Porto Alegre, and I remember when she said it snowed there just a few years ago. Porto Alegre is still some ways from the Southern Border, where snow is even more frequent.

While this cold spell is unusual, it is not unheard of.

However, the floods back in May were a different story. The rest of my Mom's family lives in the states of Pernambuco and Bahia in the north. While none of them were directly affected by the flooding, thousands and thousands of Brasilians were hurt during that time.

I do think that Mother Earth is going through weather changes, from the floods back in May in Brasil, to the heat wave and fires in Moscow, to our own flooding here in the US, the floods in Pakistan, to the countless weather issues facing so many parts of the world.

If Mother Earth is changing, we must be very critical of what is simply unusual, and focus on events that are truly unprecedented.

top topics

join