It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if terrorists hit Kennedys Space Center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I live about 40 miles north of KSC I was wondering if anyone knows what the damage would be if terrorists hit the space center while their was a Delts,Titan,or even the shuttle on the launch pad and fuled up

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
As a frequent visitor to KSC, I can tell you there is virtually no chance whatsoever of a terrorist entering that site in such close proximity as to create any damage to a shuttle or other rocket. The security isn't obvious to all visitors, but it's much more sophisticated than almost any other place in the nation.

Since 9-11-2001, this possibility has also occurred to officials at KSC and elsewhere. Security wasn't just enhanced - It was hardened like concrete. That isn't to say that nearby Cocoa or other cities all the way to Orlando-Kissimmee's Disney couldn't be hit. Disney is considered by many officials to be one of the nation's most likely targets.

RWO www.onealclan.com

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Don't know if the space center would be much of a target. Hitting it wouldn't exactly cause much terror. In my opinion Florida is too loaded with theme parks to even consider messing with the space center.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Theres a contingency plan for this you know, its just the same as a major fuel leak etc.

The astronauts will punch out of the shuttle using the door, which happens to have explosive bolts and they'll run across the gantry. At the far side of the gantry is a large basket connected to a zip line, the astronauts can either get inside this or go down the zipline on their own, depending on time. At the bottom sits a bunker designed to hold them until the threat is over, this is usually used for minor leaks. A major disaster would make the astronauts get into an armoured personnel carrier beside the bunker which will speed them to safety, its designed to bust through the chain link fences and is even rumoured to be watertight

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The terrorists might give it a try. There not exactly that smart. But it might be a target. I agree Mickey Mouse is to big a target for them to just pass up.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think this is more a hypothetical about the fuel/payload and not the astronauts. If a terrorist attack occured against the shuttle with the astronauts strapped inside they don't stand much of a chance considering the amount of oxygen and hydrogen they are strapped onto. I thought it took over four minutes from egress to bunker.

Regardless, damage to the payload, which can contain nuclear fuel sources, is probably the biggest concern. A fuel spill will severely damage the ecosystem surrounding the launch pad. A radioactive leak would intuitively cause more widespread damage, depending on the prevailing winds at the time, which if I remember correctly from surfing Cocoa/Melbourne as a teenager were onshores.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian
I think this is more a hypothetical about the fuel/payload and not the astronauts. If a terrorist attack occured against the shuttle with the astronauts strapped inside they don't stand much of a chance considering the amount of oxygen and hydrogen they are strapped onto. I thought it took over four minutes from egress to bunker.

Regardless, damage to the payload, which can contain nuclear fuel sources, is probably the biggest concern. A fuel spill will severely damage the ecosystem surrounding the launch pad. A radioactive leak would intuitively cause more widespread damage, depending on the prevailing winds at the time, which if I remember correctly from surfing Cocoa/Melbourne as a teenager were onshores.
thank you i was wondering how large of a blast and how much of this area would be destroyed

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
they would have security at those places seen as how it can cause a powerful blast and also that they dont want another incident with the shuttle but you never know it could happen.

top topics

join