It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaiian Glacier Influenced by Atlantic Currents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
During the last glaciation period (commonly called ice age) there was a glacier near the summit of Mauna Kea, on the island of Hawaii. After the peak of the glacial period (about 21,000 year ago) the glacier began to retreat. But a recent study shows that about 15,400 years ago it began to expand again, almost to the size it was at the peak of the glacial period. Strange.

The study links that regrowth to a slowdown of a major North Atlantic (yes, Atlantic) ocean current, what is known as the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation.

“The new data from Mauna Kea, along with other findings from geological archives preserved in oceans and lakes in many other areas, show that the decline of the AMOC basically caused climate changes all over the world,” Clark said. “These connections are pretty remarkable, a current pattern in the North Atlantic affecting glacier development thousands of miles away in the Hawaiian Islands.

oregonstate.edu...

The complexity of Earth's climate is astounding.

[edit on 8/11/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Glaciers in Hawaii?

Now that is astounding in all types of ways.

When I visited a few decades ago I never heard anyone mention this little tidbit.

I am honestly blown away by just the realization that there were glaciers in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in the first place. Shows how little I know though! Haha.

Totally mind blowing stuff, thanks for sharing this Phage. I learn something new everyday!

new topics

join